Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,680 times

Advertisements

Hi people:

I am a canuck from Canada eh. I am thinking moving to Atlanta for new job. I am concerned about living cost & crime rate.
Does Atlanta have high crime rate like Detroit, Washington DC?

How much does bachelor apartment cost?
what is good wage scale for IT pro there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,208 times
I wouldn't want to live in Atlanta. The news every night is horrible. I live 30 minutes outside of Atlanta and it is much better. Commuting through Atlanta is wicked. If you must come try to stay on the fringes of Atlanta. South of the airport is less conjested and more rural a much better commute.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,688,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard120 View Post
Hi people:

I am a canuck from Canada eh. I am thinking moving to Atlanta for new job. I am concerned about living cost & crime rate.
Does Atlanta have high crime rate like Detroit, Washington DC?

How much does bachelor apartment cost?
what is good wage scale for IT pro there?
Depends on what you do in IT, your education, and what experience you have.....you can make anywhere from $25K-100K+.

If you're not a citizen and need a visa sponsor you'll get paid considerably less.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,105,257 times
I was born in Toronto and moved to Atlanta when I was three in 1970. We always traveled to much bigger cities on vacation when I was growing up because Atlanta was just coming up. Since, Atlanta has become a international town and I have never left. My mother swears that she will never live in Canada again due to its cold winters. Today it was 64 F (thanks to global warming). Yes - the summers are very hot but we wander from air conditioning to air conditioning. My cousins come every winter and spend time with us.

The US dollar is not doing well so its not like old times when you could come to the states and expect a much larger salary after the exchange rate.

For jobs - you should check out the local newspaper at ajcjobs.com - Where Atlanta Goes to Work!.

If you live in big city in Canada - you would like living in the City.

Good luck - eh.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Default how long is the drive from Toronto to Atlanta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I was born in Toronto and moved to Atlanta when I was three in 1970. We always traveled to much bigger cities on vacation when I was growing up because Atlanta was just coming up. Since, Atlanta has become a international town and I have never left. My mother swears that she will never live in Canada again due to its cold winters. Today it was 64 F (thanks to global warming). Yes - the summers are very hot but we wander from air conditioning to air conditioning. My cousins come every winter and spend time with us.

The US dollar is not doing well so its not like old times when you could come to the states and expect a much larger salary after the exchange rate.

For jobs - you should check out the local newspaper at ajcjobs.com - Where Atlanta Goes to Work!.

If you live in big city in Canada - you would like living in the City.

Good luck - eh.

how long would it takes me to drive from Toronto to Atlanta?
How bad is crime rate in Atlanta compare to Toronto?
Is Atlanta population diverse like Toronto?
How much does rent cost for bachelor apt ?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,105,257 times
I think that it would take you about 18 hours to drive to Atlanta.

I think that the crime rate is about the same as Toronto? Its a big urban city just like Toronto but the public transportation system is nothing like the TTC so you will have to drive unless you work and live close to a MARTA station (our public transportation - MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) I would also think that the crime rate in Atlanta is lower than that in Detroit.

I think that the population in Toronto is more of a melting pot than that of Atlanta. We don't have wonderful ethnic neighborhoods like Toronto but you will find that many people from around the country have moved and called Atlanta home.

I don't know much about the rental market. Go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and click on Atlanta and see what rentals are going for. Depending on where you get a job - I would narrow down the search for an apartment in that area too. The Canadian Consulate is located in Colony Square which is located in Midtown at the corner of 14th and Peachtree. Also check out the website for the Midtown Alliance at Midtown Alliance to check out the area. If you live in or around downtown Toronto - I think that you would like that area as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAHOMES View Post
I wouldn't want to live in Atlanta. The news every night is horrible. I live 30 minutes outside of Atlanta and it is much better. Commuting through Atlanta is wicked. If you must come try to stay on the fringes of Atlanta. South of the airport is less conjested and more rural a much better commute.
Yeah. And most of those awful news stories occur out in the suburbs. "Staying on the fringes of Atlanta" is old school thinking and what is now the fringe will become a suburban hellhole within the next five years.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
how long would it takes me to drive from Toronto to Atlanta?
How bad is crime rate in Atlanta compare to Toronto?
Is Atlanta population diverse like Toronto?
How much does rent cost for bachelor apt ?
Picard,

Relocating to another city, much less another country, isn't like moving down the block. If you've never been here and know nothing about the area, it's HIGHLY suggested that before you decide to move here, you take a couple of weeks and come down here and stay. Get a feel for the place and check it out. If possible, try to line up meeting up with a local who might be able to show you around. "Cold Calling" a new place to live is not suggested if you know zip about it.

To answer your questions:

1) Chong answered, but it's about 18 (if you speed) to 21 hours depending on traffic, wrecks and backups along the way, etc.

2) The crime rate is high here. Per capita Atlanta has a very high crime rate. It's not quite as bad as Detroit, but worse than NYC or DC. I couldn't find the stats for Toronto, so can't compare it to there.

3) Atlanta's population is diverse, but not centralized like in Toronto, NYC, San Fran, or other cities like that. They're spread out. We do not have an official "Chinatown" or "Japantown" or "Little Havana" or anything like that. Most major events are generically white suburban or black urban. From time to time minor seemingly not very organized events will take place like a small Greek festival or Hispanic festival or something, but you will not have the international "feel" here that you have in Toronto or other major cities.

4) A typical studio or 1BR apartment in major areas near MARTA rail will run from $750-$1050 per month on average in the city - less off the major track or in the burbs.

5) If you have a nice sized savings account now, converting it to U.S. dollars should benefit you due to our weak dollar. If you're coming here with nothing, then you'll simply start from scratch.

Again though, I'd highly recommend you VISIT the city first.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

thanks for all info guys. I only work for contract in Atlanta for 1 yr then I will return to Toronto. I would miss China town in Toronto.

How long does it take to drive from TO to Atlanta?

Are there any major hwy construction project that might delay me if I drive directly to Atlanta?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
How long does it take to drive from TO to Atlanta?
Um... both Chong and I answered that above in our posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta