Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are seeking a double bedroom apartment complex in Buckhead after graduating from college this Spring and beginning work in the Fall. Following the sticky guidelines...

1. Budget: $1800> (combined rent)
2. Apartment (unless good options for renting condos exist)
3. Both working in heart of Buckhead business district, and would like to live close to work if possible
4. Schools N/A
5. Urban lifestyle
6. Access to public transit = perk, not necessary
7. Safety is important
8. High-quality surroundings and some green space is ideal

In more detail, we're male Ivy League grads (though born/bred in the South and proud) working in finance/consulting and excited to return to Atlanta to begin our careers and meet people. We're seeking out a neighborhood where we can find similar ambitious, recent college graduates working in similar fields, attending graduate school, etc. We value diversity of interests, aspirations, and backgrounds. Proximity to Buckhead nightlife would be nice, but walking distance to bars is not an absolute requirement. Want to be surrounded by fun people but not live in a poorly kept pseudo-frathouse (had enough of that in college).

Appreciate all the help these forums have already provided. If I can provide any more information, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Crescent at Terminus

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM

145 posts, read 166,113 times
I'll bite. Moved to Buckhead after college to live/work/play back in 2006 and still work there now (Terminus 100).

I had similar interests... wanted to live in a neighborhood setting where I could run without dodging too many cars. I rented at Post Peachtree Hills for 3 years before renting a condo at 430 Lindbergh for another 3 years. Pros were proximity to Publix, MARTA's Lindbergh station, short commute to work with minimal traffic concerns and a short cab/uber ride to many great bars and restaurants. I would even come home for lunch, which was a nice perk.

Peachtree Hills park was adjacent to Post and is the base for some intramural softball and touch football leagues. Lindbergh has enough shopping to fill the gaps (Target, Best Buy, Home Depot). The Treehouse is a neat and somewhat hidden local bar. You are also flanked by Taco Mac and Whitehorse Tavern if you need a reasonable bar in walking distance.

It might be helpful to know where you both will be working (building address), as the intersections between P-tree/Piedmont and 400 can change your commute experience, especially around Christmas.

As for cost, Post Ptree Hills was $1,400 for a 2/2 in a gated community with two pools and a small fitness center, tennis courts and plenty of parking. Also, it was a good mix of young professionals. This did not include any other utilities. Average 100 for electric, 50 for gas, 100 for internet/tv and another 50 for renters insurance.

As for the newer places on or near Ptree... they are nice, but will cost you. If you do not have a car, this would make sense (move cost of ownership, insurance and gas towards your housing budget).

I hope this helps. Good luck witth your decision!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM

58 posts, read 86,967 times
I come from a similar background (non ivy league though). ITP Atl private school educated my whole life. Was in a traditional fraternity etc....

Lenox Park- Post Gardens. I pay around $1600 a month for an Apartment that feels like a comfortable late 90s OTP McMansion in terms of amenities/appointments. Excellent Summer Pool Scene

Kingsboro place and The Alexan are pretty baller too and are literally across the street from the Lenox MARTA station (good for braves games)

The Gramercy is also worth checking out

Peachtree Hills is a cool neighborhood as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Redclear,

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. We will both be working at buildings within a 5 minute walk from Lenox Mall.

Post Gardens was one place that caught my eye, and it seems to be under the same umbrella property company as Post Peachtree Hills. Do you know of any differences between the two other than Post Gardens seeming to be a bit closer on Google maps?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. If it wasn't made clear in the original post, our budget is $1800 COMBINED for both tenants (ie, for a 2 BR apartment). Sorry if this wasn't clear earlier.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM

To clarify, $1600 is the total rent at Post Gardens. Apt is about 1200 sq ft. 2 bed/2bath

Old 02-15-2015, 02:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john404 View Post
Redclear,

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. We will both be working at buildings within a 5 minute walk from Lenox Mall.

Post Gardens was one place that caught my eye, and it seems to be under the same umbrella property company as Post Peachtree Hills. Do you know of any differences between the two other than Post Gardens seeming to be a bit closer on Google maps?
Yes, it's the same company. Post is one of the larger developers here.

Post Properties

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
You ever though about Midtown since you can take Marta to work ?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Young Pro crowd in Midtown is weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta