Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If MARTA is smart they will work with Morrow. Morrow tends to know what it wants and to do things the right way.
Yeah, I bet it does not...! Rewriting a random ordinance isn't as simple as people think. It usually takes a few months to get a text amendment passed and signed into law.

This is a situation Morrow should have been on top of this themselves back in December rather than waiting to talk to MARTA about this. This is irresponsibility wasting time on the municipality's part. Most other municipalities already within the MARTA service area have already covered the bases on this, so it's not like they don't have similar ordinances to use as examples to amend theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, I bet it does not...! Rewriting a random ordinance isn't as simple as people think. It usually takes a few months to get a text amendment passed and signed into law.

This is a situation Morrow should have been on top of this themselves back in December rather than waiting to talk to MARTA about this. This is irresponsibility wasting time on the municipality's part. Most other municipalities already within the MARTA service area have already covered the bases on this, so it's not like they don't have similar ordinances to use as examples to amend theirs.
Morrow is not your average bear. They have a strong mayor and can move fast when the occasion calls for it.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Note the difference between the article's headline and the one chosen for the title of this thread. Way to sensationalize what are basically trivial differences over the design of a bus shelter and a requirement for pull-off lanes that the city manager herself said isn't an issue right now. A delay in building the bus shelter won't stop MARTA from providing service. I should know; none of the bus stops in my neighborhood have them.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Note the difference between the article's headline and the one chosen for the title of this thread. Way to sensationalize what are basically trivial differences over the design of a bus shelter and a requirement for pull-off lanes that the city manager herself said isn't an issue right now. A delay in building the bus shelter won't stop MARTA from providing service. I should know; none of the bus stops in my neighborhood have them.
Wasn't the city ordinance written where all bus stops must have shelters? MARTA only places shelters at heavily used stops or those that kids/elderly frequently use.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
Just get it done already.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Just get it done already.
Have to plan and make sure the bus routes serve the most efficient corridors.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
The City of Morrow has very high standards. I doubt there would be so much eye rolling if you had Johns Creek or Alpharetta's city manager saying these same things. I hope Morrow sticks to her guns; the city is too good and has strived too hard to keep up standards to let any quasi government organization pick on it.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The City of Morrow has very high standards. I doubt there would be so much eye rolling if you had Johns Creek or Alpharetta's city manager saying these same things. I hope Morrow sticks to her guns; the city is too good and has strived too hard to keep up standards to let any quasi government organization pick on it.
Speaking for myself, I would 100% be saying the same thing if any other small town asked MARTA to spend extra money for their town's bus stops. We're a regional system, we're all paying the same thing, if your city wants fancier bus stops it's on your shoulders to figure out how to make them conform to MARTA's standards and pay for it yourselves.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Speaking for myself, I would 100% be saying the same thing if any other small town asked MARTA to spend extra money for their town's bus stops. We're a regional system, we're all paying the same thing, if your city wants fancier bus stops it's on your shoulders to figure out how to make them conform to MARTA's standards and pay for it yourselves.
I totally agree. Very well stated, magnetar.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%. I have often thought about the process to build a commuter rail system and I had similar thoughts. The locales would get a basic station with two 680ft long platforms, 3 bus-style shelters per platform, and ticket machines. Anything else like a building, ticket windows, stylish accents, etc. would be paid for by the locality if they cost more, or have designs submitted by a deadline if they matched the cost of the basic station. Any failure to meet one of those two requirements, and they'd get the basic design. MARTA should do similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta