Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 PM

24 posts, read 30,321 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

A few weeks back I asked about places to live in Atlanta, and now thanks to the communities help, my wife and myself are considering purchasing some land in Sandy Springs to build a home. With that said, we have one reservation...bugs. Well, mosquitos actually.

We are considering building a modern home with a lot of indoor/outdoor living space. The idea being there will be several walls of windows that open to outdoor living space. After doing some research it appears that Atlanta has a lot of mosquitos. Not something that I would have originally thought to consider, but since the plan is to have the windows open all the time...well you can see potential problem. I noticed in my house hunt that there are not a lot of homes that offer a similar blend of indoor/outdoor living, and while I originally chalked it up to a difference in preference, I am starting to think maybe there is a more practical reason. Considering we will also have a pool, that up's the possibility of mosquitos big time. I could buy a few bat houses, but I am not sure that would be enough.

There is of course the factor of heat....I assume most people run their AC in their home, and leave the doors closed. I have a large outdoor space in NYC and I leave the doors open all summer while the AC is running. But then again cooling a house is much different from cooling a small NYC apartment. Right now heating/cooling is taking a back seat to the mosquito question.

I am curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
I really don't think having a pool will add to any mosquito problem, because mosquitos need standing water to breed. Pools are generally in motion, not to mention chlorinated, and I don't think mosquitos breed in swimming pools.

Lots of plants, especially ground cover like ivy, I think contribute more to mosquitos.

Really, your bigger problem is that you really can't leave windows open all the time down here. Not only will it make your house a sauna, your a/c won't be able to dehumidify properly and you'll develop a mold problem.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I really don't think having a pool will add to any mosquito problem, because mosquitos need standing water to breed. Pools are generally in motion, not to mention chlorinated, and I don't think mosquitos breed in swimming pools.

Lots of plants, especially ground cover like ivy, I think contribute more to mosquitos.

Really, your bigger problem is that you really can't leave windows open all the time down here. Not only will it make your house a sauna, your a/c won't be able to dehumidify properly and you'll develop a mold problem.
And your ac will run constantly, so get ready for a $1,000 electricity bill.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereld View Post
We are considering building a modern home with a lot of indoor/outdoor living space. The idea being there will be several walls of windows that open to outdoor living space. After doing some research it appears that Atlanta has a lot of mosquitos. Not something that I would have originally thought to consider, but since the plan is to have the windows open all the time...well you can see potential problem. I noticed in my house hunt that there are not a lot of homes that offer a similar blend of indoor/outdoor living, and while I originally chalked it up to a difference in preference, I am starting to think maybe there is a more practical reason.
Screens. You'll want 'em. I spent a week at a beach house in northern California a few summers ago, and got eaten up by mosquitos because the house had no A/C and we had to sleep with the windows open. Ever since I'm religious about screens on windows and screen doors. You can get high quality sliding screen doors that don't impact the view and are made to match whatever sliding door system you install. I live in a modern house in the city and have been able to take maximum advantage of the nice weather this spring because I've got screens on every openable window in my house.

You definitely won't want to leave the doors open in the middle of the summer, but the spring and fall are incredibly comfortable and you'll get lots of use of indoor/outdoor space here. There are even days in winter when you'll be able to open it up.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:07 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,541 times
Atlanta isn't New York. Mosquitoes are not the only bugs that you'll have to worry about. You'll have to worry about bees, gnats, flies, ants, wasps, hornets. You will also have to worry about pollen in the spring (our pollen levels are legendary).

Besides that, cooling a house which has no units to insulate it on its top or to its sides is a completely different proposition than cooling an apartment which isn't getting heated on all sides.

And yes, you are looking at legendary power bills during the summer and spring. My guess would be approximately $300-$500 a month for the AC constantly running. God forbid that your house have two AC units and two thermostats.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,177 times
Don't forget the tarantulas!

No, but seriously, you're asking for thoughts and to be perfectly honest have to wonder what planet you're from. Please don't take offense, it just seems in this day and age of sustainability what you're proposing is frankly preposterous. If your intent was to live like the native aboriginal population, or even the wise cracking settlers from which some of us are descended then that would at least have some practical atavistic if not luddite logic to it.

Grew up in MI, and there are plenty of mosquitos in summer. That's why it seems so odd to me that it would be such a revelation for you in NY to have to consider dealing with them. Anyway, again please don't take offense, was going to suggest looking into the earthship idea (there might be a couple sites in GA), but that's probably the opposite end of the spectrum from what you're asking about.

May the porch be with you.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,210 times
We rarely have our windows open because we don't have screens and would have to have them custom made.
Without screens you are inviting in bugs as well as other critters (lizards, snakes, etc).
With screens you are going to be wallowing in pollen for a certain amount of time including the notorious yellow-green that floods everything for 1-2 weeks during the spring.

In NYC you get respite from the summer heat every few days with dropping temps (especially at night), but here you can have weeks where the temp doesn't get below 70 and the humidity stays up there, too.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,266 times
You can have your yard sprayed for mosquitos. Having our front and back yard sprayed costs less than $100 monthly. Definitely worth the money if you intend to spend time outdoors.

And, yes, prepare for gigantic heating/cooling bills! That's going to be a rude awakening for you, I think.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Keep in mind, though, that many people find pollen just as bad (if not more of a ) problem. From Late March until at least mid-May (depending on weather) everything here is covered in pollen. Yellowish green, icky stuff.

As nice as it outside this time of year, true outdoor living is challenging. You constantly have to clean, sweep, etc the space.

Many of my friends have essentially glassed in their screen porches, putting in windows that easily open, so they can have the fresh air without the pollen mess.

PS -- the pollen you see is generally not what causes people allergy problems here. But a lot of people who move here from other places really struggle with allergies after a year or two here.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,433 times
If you're doing the building, definitely put screens on windows. Something that would also help, which a lot of people have down here, is making your indoor living space open up to a screened in covered porch, rather than directly into the backyard. Lots of houses, especially old houses, have the screened in porches because they acted as sleeping porches prior to A/C being developed - but they are still very popular and are great for when you want to sit outside during summer nights. Adding a TV, fireplace, etc. to your screened porch will create a great outdoor living space. Through this time of year, windows and doors are great to have open, provided you have screens. However, probably starting later this week and straight through the end of September, you're going to have the A/C running constantly and opening the doors/windows won't be much of an option. Like others have said, even if you could put up with your house easily approaching 90 degrees without A/C, the humidity will create lots of mold problems. Actually, in apartment complexes, many write into the contract that tenants MUST have the A/C running from May to October just to prevent widespread mold.

Additionally, as others have said, mosquitos aren't your only bug concern. You'll want them to try to prevent spiders, day AND evening/night mosquitos, cockroaches, palmetto bugs, lizards, etc. That said, this is Atlanta - if you never have a cockroach in your house, I will be quite impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta