Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,159,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
According to the Census with the responses they received.
Yes of course. We can't make up numbers. It didn't hit it. No big deal. Every city has to deal with people who don't respond to the Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,720,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yes of course. We can't make up numbers. It didn't hit it. No big deal. Every city has to deal with people who don't respond to the Census.

I think that the non response factor could be a growing problem with the "I am entitled to my opinion & rights" type of mindset portion of the general public.
I recall walking on a sidewalk in midtown & hearing a conversation going on behind me among some young people about the census during the midst of the 2010 census period, a time when the level of mistrust of the purpose & intent of the census was being wildly flamed by incredibly stupefying viewpoints that I saw expressed in various parts of the American media, but particularly egregiously so on tv news channels.
The idea that I saw widely & irresponsibly put forth was that the behind the scenes intent of the 2010 census was part of an Obama-directed conspiracy to gather data on Americans with a sinister intent that could lead to an Obama-directed George Orwellian takeover.
A young woman in the group that was conversing behind me spoke up and said that she had, "...thrown my census form away in the trash."
In the interim between actual census counts, the estimates are really a best guess effort relying on various types of data. They are far from perfect but are generally the best that data can give us.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,519,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I think that the non response factor could be a growing problem with the "I am entitled to my opinion & rights" type of mindset portion of the general public.
I recall walking on a sidewalk in midtown & hearing a conversation going on behind me among some young people about the census during the midst of the 2010 census period, a time when the level of mistrust of the purpose & intent of the census was being wildly flamed by incredibly stupefying viewpoints that I saw expressed in various parts of the American media, but particularly egregiously so on tv news channels.
The idea that I saw widely & irresponsibly put forth was that the behind the scenes intent of the 2010 census was part of an Obama-directed conspiracy to gather data on Americans with a sinister intent that could lead to an Obama-directed George Orwellian takeover.
A young woman in the group that was conversing behind me spoke up and said that she had, "...thrown my census form away in the trash."
In the interim between actual census counts, the estimates are really a best guess effort relying on various types of data. They are far from perfect but are generally the best that data can give us.
I see we are >here< on this issue.

Watch how much higher the census numbers are gonna be in 2020 assuming a well rounded president takes office.

The 2010 Census was a shared epic failure IMHO.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Watch how much higher the census numbers are gonna be in 2020 assuming a well rounded president takes office.

What does that even mean??

Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,720,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

Yes, what does that mean?!?
In particular "..how much higher..." for who & where?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,519,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, what does that mean?!?
In particular "..how much higher..." for who & where?
That folks did not cooperate with this census out of spite.

Those folks who didn't cooperate, did so because they hate this administration. And Lord knows it's plenty of folks who like to throw a kink in anything the government is trying to do. Even if it's screwing them by doing so.

Does that clarify?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:46 PM

I think you overestimate that. Local officials, even ones that obstruct anything simply because of our President, pushed for participation because they know that census numbers equate to federal funding etc (even they guv'ment spending is bad, guv'ment spending for their cause is awesome of course).

In any case, it's a nonissue. The real issue are the annual estimates because if they get off track, it compounds. In fact it got off track here and people expected higher numbers because of it. Ironically, I think that some are upset because they put too much faith in the estimates and when the Census came out lower - they make it excuses rather than accept that the estimates got off track and overestimated.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:08 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,818,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

I disagree.

I think you are overplaying the role of the media in this instance.

1) There are always some problems with this. It is not a new thing.

2) Most people realize that a widespread push to not cooperate it risking much politically for yourself later on

3) At the end of the census the demographics of the groups that were the loudest in the media in 2010 did not have any significant under-reporting from what was expected and other research shows us.

4) The census does not fail to count people, because they didn't return a mailer. They are very persistent in their methods. The real problem is it escalates the cost of performing the census.

5) Costs ended up being under expectations from having a larger than anticipated response rate through mailers. They matched the same rate achieved in 2000, which was not expected from the concerns from media behavior.

Now there are some long-term concerns about some groups being under-counted that are not unique to the 2010 census (ie. hispanic populations, other populations that do not speak English, under-reporting of kids 0-4 (especially with the confusion in the ACS surveys vs. the actual census), and reluctance from single black males age 30-54 (This is actually believed to be diminishing over time)

So no I don't believe 2010 was an epic failure, beyond the problems we face every census and no I don't believe any conspiracy theories that Obama manipulated the census or wasn't well-rounded for that matter.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,471,707 times
Georgia
Total: 9,992,167
White alone: 6,240,915
Black or African American alone: 3,132,990
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 50,752
Asian alone: 366,827
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone: 11,238
Two or More Races: 189,445
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 916,395

July 1, 2013 according to US Census estimates.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,796,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Is it safe to finally say that Fulton County has reached one million residents!?
No. Not until it reaches 1 million. The estimates tend to be too high so I'd wait until it's a bit over to truly call it.

Quote:
Is it safe to say Atlanta has reached 500,000 which it saw once but BC of white flight declined?!
No. It's not 500,000 yet.

Quote:

Will Gwinnett ever out populate Fulton, it has already over taken DeKalb?
Gwinnett is very large in area, so it's kind of irrelevant.

With South Fulton still relatively undeveloped, I think it's very likely Fulton will stay ahead of Gwinnett. Was Dekalb ever higher population than Fulton? Even Cobb has overtaken Dekalb at this point.

Cobb is the only fully developed county in metro Atlanta without large tracts of undeveloped land. That's part of why it's shooting up in price. Though Cobb is still growing, it can really only grow upwards (or single family teardowns for townhome communities like in Smyrna). Every other county has large tracts of land available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta