Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Of course, Atlanta is southern. Who is saying it's not? I can understand someone saying D.C. is not southern or Miami is not southern, but Atlanta clearly is and will always be.
Im not sure where or when this fight started, but I think one of the Atlanta posters trolled Happiness-is-close in one of the Floridian forums making comments about how many international people move to Atlanta, he was saying its more people from the south moving in than international countries are cities. The problem I am seeing with this thread myself is how southern folks are being put down but both the pro Atlanta posters and the ones attempting to bully Happiness-is-close. Being southern is not bad, since when has it become bad? I think if people around here were more proud of being southern instead being embarrassed by it Happiness-is-close would not have made the thread. It just seems a circle of trolls beefing. Florida is it own beast though. Its not southern as a whole, but the panhandle is, but from the stateline to the keys Florida is a different place vs the other states in the south. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
This thread is for JMatl. He wanted me to show him proof of where Atlanta's transplants come from because he loves to think that Atlanta is as northern and internationally influenced as Florida. The comparison isnt even close. After arguing with him on probably four different threads I decided to show him how Southern Atlanta still is and how not Southern Florida is.
Ohhhh i get it now. You let her hook you. You made your points, id put JMatl on your ignore list, she is definitely on mine.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My maternal great grandparents emigrated from Alsace-Lorraine. Don't make me French.
Actually, Alsace is a traditionally German speaking place that was given to France after WW2 as a punishment to the Nazis. I have one branch of family who lived in that region during the early 1800s and they had German last names, not French ones.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
This is an extremely bizarre thread. I don't understand what the point is. Is it supposed to be bad to be southern? In my experience most transplants I met were from somewhere in the northeast but of course the stats don't lie. Anyways, is Atlanta supposed to be full of beat up pick up trucks and toothless rednecks because it is southern? I mean that's the impression that I'm getting since "southern" keeps being brought up in a seemingly negative way. Atlanta is still a major city and is pretty cosmopolitan. You might have to go out to the boonies for the type of southerner I think OP is referring to.
Well it's the reason why some from Florida do not like to known as a Southern state. I think this Happiness poster is the person who said that Caribbean Blacks and American Blacks do not like each other which was rapidly debunked in another thread by another person because I said that most Black people in Florida will look at themselves as Southerners whether they are from the US or not.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:54 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Ohhhh i get it now. You let her hook you. You made your points, id put JMatl on your ignore list, she is definitely on mine.
Yeah, she did. Thank you for your supportive posts. I too am done here. Enough data has been shown showing what Atlanta ( and Florida as well) is and where the bulk of its transplants come from. And there is nothing wrong with Atlanta still being a very Southern city. I never said that once in this whole thread.

Have a good Saturday.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well it's the reason why some from Florida do not like to known as a Southern state. I think this Happiness poster is the person who said that Caribbean Blacks and American Blacks do not like each other which was rapidly debunked in another thread by another person because I said that most Black people in Florida will look at themselves as Southerners whether they are from the US or not.
I never said any such thing. I can't even with you people today. I have yard work to do.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I never said any such thing. I can't even with you people today. I have yard work to do.
You did. You were the from Naples, am I correct? I said that most Black people in Florida will look at themselves as Southerners and you asked if they were Black Americans or Black Caribbean, right?

Old 08-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You did. You were the from Naples, am I correct? I said that most Black people in Florida will look at themselves as Southerners and you asked if they were Black Americans or Black Caribbean, right?
It is true though that most Carribean black people aren't going to identify as Southerners.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It is true though that most Carribean black people aren't going to identify as Southerners.
my experience is way different from living around an engaging with them on a daily basis when I lived in Florida and when I visit my family in Florida...South Florida at that.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Yeah, she did. Thank you for your supportive posts. I too am done here. Enough data has been shown showing what Atlanta ( and Florida as well) is and where the bulk of its transplants come from. And there is nothing wrong with Atlanta still being a very Southern city. I never said that once in this whole thread.

Have a good Saturday.
Lol! Good luck on your move to Jacksonville. Unless you can afford a more transplanted place like Ponte Vedra or Nocatee, you're going to be surrounded by a good bit of southern culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta