Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
But hey, this looks great! Looks like the loss of the braves is nothing but a gain for the city. Other than GSU football, are there any minor league type sports that could use the converted stadium?
I have been saying I would love to see a minor league baseball team there. With all the baseball history being highlighted in the area it seems stupid not have it especially when they are already building a new smaller GSU baseball stadium. It would be a better game day expirence than Cobb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times
I'm not feeling it. Seems more like wishful thinking, that it will be a go-to spot. But why? What is the draw other than a promise of a lot of people there actively engaged?

I think it needs more GSU as an anchor to make it a place where people can feel somewhat safe and comfortable.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I'm not feeling it. Seems more like wishful thinking, that it will be a go-to spot. But why? What is the draw other than a promise of a lot of people there actively engaged?

I think it needs more GSU as an anchor to make it a place where people can feel somewhat safe and comfortable.
It is being developed as a destination or regional draw, but instead serving the existing communities and building more demand with the mixed use development.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:37 AM

123 posts, read 153,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post

Is there a general consenus that Summerhill is unsafe and uncomfortable? I am new to the area, so forgive me for not knowing. What I've experienced so far in this neighborhood is a tight-knit community of people that seem to really care about the area. The parks are all so well kept and nice. I don't see a lot of random drunk or drugged out people walking the streets and I certainly don't hear all the gunshots I used to constantly hear when I lived in East Atlanta/Gresham Park.

I see families at the parks, couples walking their dogs or pushing strollers, people jogging and walking together. Everyone waves and everyone has been so welcoming.

Of course this is my experience with Summerhill, I'm still learning about Peoplestown and Mechanicsville.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Is there a general consenus that Summerhill is unsafe and uncomfortable? I am new to the area, so forgive me for not knowing. What I've experienced so far in this neighborhood is a tight-knit community of people that seem to really care about the area. The parks are all so well kept and nice. I don't see a lot of random drunk or drugged out people walking the streets and I certainly don't hear all the gunshots I used to constantly hear when I lived in East Atlanta/Gresham Park.

I see families at the parks, couples walking their dogs or pushing strollers, people jogging and walking together. Everyone waves and everyone has been so welcoming.

Of course this is my experience with Summerhill, I'm still learning about Peoplestown and Mechanicsville.
I live nearby and love the area. But most peoples only exposure to the area has been driving from the suburbs and parking near the abandoned buildings near to the stadium. They don't get to see the stroller-pushing side of the neighborhood.

The people that like to drive in from the suburbs will find it no more of a destination than midtown is a destination. Sure they may come in and meet friends at a restaurant a few times a year, but the area will mostly cater to the growing number residents that will move into the new buildings.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post

Many times, if people see unkept grass, minorities, and other non-homogeneous environment they will feel it's unsafe, even though violent crimes in CoA are at a 30 year low.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,368 times
Is LCI going to happen for sure? At least one of their proposals? I have a friend looking at homes in summer hill,a and it seems like it would be a good investment if this "revitalization" happens...

Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,490 times
I always liked this area, but seeing it on the street/pedestrian level during Streets Alive recently, I'm looking forward to spending much more time here. I just hope they change all the interstate signs from "Turner Field" to "Summerhill" to really highlight the neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM

123 posts, read 153,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSMITHATL View Post
Is LCI going to happen for sure? At least one of their proposals? I have a friend looking at homes in summer hill,a and it seems like it would be a good investment if this "revitalization" happens...
Well, I'm hoping I'm sitting on a gold mine. One can dream! We will see in 5-7 years. With Grant Park (the actual park) three blocks one direction and Turner Field (and all future development) three blocks the other direction, I'm pretty sure I'm in a good spot.

Even if the value of my newly purchased home doesn't skyrocket, I still absolutely love this part of Atlanta. I see myself here for a long time.

Many realtors told me Summerhill was the "buy now" neighborhood, but you know, they were realtors trying to sell homes, so...

As far as the LCI, we can be assured that development (in whatever form) is definitely happening. And hopefully relatively quickly for this type of thing.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Reed to make major announcement about The Ted
Reed to make major announcement about future of Turner Field | www.ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta