Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:58 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see what GDOT comes up with for improvements to this corridor. I don't know if would be feasible to put an exit at Northside Dr and I-20. Personally I would to see some sort of rail transit implemented on Northside Dr up to West Midtown.

Per the GDOT study website:
Quote:
The Georgia DOT is evaluating the State Road 3/Northside Drive corridor from I-20 to I-75 (approximately five miles) for potential improvements for mobility, safety, bicycle and pedestrian use and access/connectivity to local and regional public transportation services. The set of solutions being explored includes intersection improvements and a potential connection of Northside Drive to I-20 on the southern end of the corridor. The first phase of this project started in September 2014.
Northside Drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:13 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
No no no and once again tell Arthur Blank no. West End and surrounding neighborhoods don't want all that traffic in our neighborhoods. It's not feasible for Northside drive.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Turn Northside Drive into a 'complete street' - welcoming pedestrians; linking Westside to downtown - SaportaReport
Quote:
By Maria Saporta
For decades, Northside Drive has been the great divide separating downtown on the east from the economically-depressed communities on the west side.
Northside has served like a moat – creating a symbolic barrier between the haves and the have nots.
So when a new stadium for the Atlanta Falcons was being planned, neighborhood residents begged for that wall of separation to be recast as a welcoming mat for people on both sides of the street.
The City of Atlanta – working with the Atlanta Falcons – has been working on an elaborate pedestrian bridge that would connect the Vine City MARTA station with the plaza of the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Northside Drive
Northside Drive today is a river of asphalt for cars – not a street that’s friendly to pedestrians
But that begs the question?
Is that the best use of $6 million to $10 million to connect the Westside with Atlanta’s downtown?
(Mayor Kasim Reed has said the city had set aside $6 million for a barebones bridge, but he added that he was willing to invest more on the bridge to make it a world-class amenity in keeping with the new stadium).
A few points to consider. Discussion is underway to only open the bridge when there are events at the stadium for security reasons. Also, the amount of patronage using the Vine City MARTA Station is modest to say the least – bringing into question whether it is even needed during major events.
Lastly, there is the eternal debate for urban areas. Pedestrian bridges remove people from the street – creating an environment that is less inviting to the human-scale city we say we are trying to design.
people in the community, there is one point of consensus.
Make Northside Drive and the cross streets (Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Mitchell Street and Joseph E. Boone/Ivan Allen Boulevard) more pedestrian-friendly.
Today, Northside Drive is anything but a friendly street to people on foot. As a state road, the Georgia Department of Transportation has to be a willing partner in changing the design of the street.
And there is a growing rallying cry to make Northside Drive a “complete street” – one that is welcoming to pedestrians and cyclists by having wide sidewalks with attractive streetscapes, a landscaped median, bike lanes and well-designated crosswalks with bold, white painted lines clearly showing cars the safe zone for people on foot.
Joe Hudson is a member of Central United Methodist Church, which sits in the bulls-eye of this discussion between Mitchell Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive along Northside Drive.
Northside Mitchell
Intersection of Northside Drive and what is now Mitchell Street – slated to become the new Martin Luther King Jr. Drive because of the new stadium. Not a welcoming spot for pedestrians. (Photo: Maria Saporta)
“The whole idea of west side planning and redesign – including the streets and roads – should be to integrate the community value into all plans and recognize the importance of the unique surrounding community,” said Hudson, who is chair of the economic development committee of the Atlanta branch NAACP and a long-time advocate for black-owned businesses.
As it relates to Northside Drive, Hudson put forth his recommendations:
* widening sidewalks;
* placing Westside information kiosks around;
* developing refuge islands for pedestrians to cross Northside;
* creating various streetscapes; and
* incorporating African-influenced public art.
Hudson said the whole streetscape should be “softened” and open to “invite people into the community” rather than being “unwelcoming” to visitors, and he’s suggesting that plazas be incorporated with the design as a way to involve smaller businesses.
“The corner at MLK in particular should have some statement reflecting the importance and history of the community and invitational – welcoming to visit the community and recognize its history and potential,” Hudson said.
MLK and Northside
Yvonne Jones, chair of NPU-L – which includes Vine City and English Avenue, said she wished the community had been invited to be part of the conversation. The city has not presented the concept or the plans of a pedestrian bridge over Northside Drive to the NPU.
Jones, who was attending the ground-breaking of Friendship Baptist Church on Sunday, said she hopes the community is invited to participate in the redesign of Northside Drive.
“Just make Northside Drive an asset so people will want to be there,” Jones said. “I’m in support of quieting down Northside Drive. We definitely need better pedestrian crosswalks. It needs to be accessible to walking and biking. There needs to be much more walkability.”
She also said the street must be designed in a way that invites diverse businesses to the area, including retail that serves the community.
Lloyd Hawk, chairman of the board of trustees for Friendship Baptist Church, said Georgia DOT should make sure Northside Drive is pedestrian-friendly and reflects the quality investment of the stadium and the prospective revitalization of the Westside.

Hawk also supported the idea of wider sidewalks and a landscaped median that would make it easier for pedestrians crossing the street. A model could be the “complete street” design of Peachtree Road between Piedmont Avenue and Lenox Road in Buckhead.
“Martin Luther King Jr. Drive also needs to have that same character,” Hawk said – referring to both the existing MLK and Mitchell Street, which will become the new MLK for several blocks. A pedestrian plaza with limited automobile access along the legacy MLK could become a wonderful gateway between the Westside and downtown.
Most importantly, Hudson the community wants to be sure that “everything that is done is…reflective of the value that is placed upon our community as an important part of Atlanta.”
If the city, which has been considering a “Design Manual for Active, Balanced and Complete Streets,” is serious about reknitting the community with the monolithic structures of the Georgia World Congress Center and the Mercedes-Benz Stadium, it must begin by humanizing Northside Drive.
That should be the top priority. And if our city and state leaders say they don’t have the money to make pedestrian improvements along Northside Drive, well I’ve got a pedestrian bridge I can sell them.
In the end, if we have limited dollars, let’s invest them at street level rather by building a pedestrian bridge that rarely will be used.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
But that begs the question? Is that the best use of $6 million to $10 million to connect the Westside with Atlanta’s downtown?

(Mayor Kasim Reed has said the city had set aside $6 million for a barebones bridge, but he added that he was willing to invest more on the bridge to make it a world-class amenity in keeping with the new stadium).
I kinda agree with this sentiment. The Ped. bridge makes sense, but should be paid for by those building the stadium. Having Northside Drive turned into a complete street would be pretty great, but I would like them take it up a notch.

Nothside is slated for streetcars from MLK up to the Beltline at some indeterminate point in the future. I say that Northside should get dedicated bus lanes (ontop of the rest of the improvements) to get the area used to having dedicated transit in the road. All you would really need would be plastic pylons, some paint, and bus shelters. Let MARTA try out a bit of lower-end BRT on the route from West End Station up to the Route 12 Stop at Cumberland. I understand that this article mentions only the section from I-20 to I-75, and that the Streetcars are only from MLK to the Beltline, but I think we can go further.

When the streetcar tracks are ready to be laid, then you just use the already existing bus lanes.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I kinda agree with this sentiment. The Ped. bridge makes sense, but should be paid for by those building the stadium. Having Northside Drive turned into a complete street would be pretty great, but I would like them take it up a notch.

Nothside is slated for streetcars from MLK up to the Beltline at some indeterminate point in the future. I say that Northside should get dedicated bus lanes (ontop of the rest of the improvements) to get the area used to having dedicated transit in the road. All you would really need would be plastic pylons, some paint, and bus shelters. Let MARTA try out a bit of lower-end BRT on the route from West End Station up to the Route 12 Stop at Cumberland. I understand that this article mentions only the section from I-20 to I-75, and that the Streetcars are only from MLK to the Beltline, but I think we can go further.

When the streetcar tracks are ready to be laid, then you just use the already existing bus lanes.
Northside would be great for BRT between Vine City and Arts Center Stations, via AS, that run in dedicated lanes. I have always been a fan of bus/bike lanes.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Northside would be great for BRT between Vine City and Arts Center Stations, via AS, that run in dedicated lanes. I have always been a fan of bus/bike lanes.
That could work too. There are already bus lanes on 17th that can be taken advantage of, though they would need to be enforced a bit better, and Vine City is at the edge of the project's scope, not completely out of it like West End and Cumberland.

On the other-hand, West End is much more of a bus hub than Vine City, so, to me, it makes sense to have the terminus of the route there. I wouldn't mind seeing the route go up all the way to Cumberland, but i'm not sure about the ridership that would generate since it's mostly wealthy homes above the I-75 / I-85 split.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:21 PM

188 posts, read 177,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have always been a fan of bus/bike lanes.
Really?

You insulted bus transit over and over again in defense of the $100 million 1.3 mile streetcar line. Bus lanes make a lot of sense as an alternate to much more expensive streetcars. I'd rather have complete bus transit in dedicated lanes rather than half-assed connectivity the streetcar provides.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That could work too. There are already bus lanes on 17th that can be taken advantage of, though they would need to be enforced a bit better, and Vine City is at the edge of the project's scope, not completely out of it like West End and Cumberland.

On the other-hand, West End is much more of a bus hub than Vine City, so, to me, it makes sense to have the terminus of the route there. I wouldn't mind seeing the route go up all the way to Cumberland, but i'm not sure about the ridership that would generate since it's mostly wealthy homes above the I-75 / I-85 split.
Screw Cumberland, let CCT serve them if Cobb County thinks they can do it better. I say stop at Vine City, because south of there, the roadways narrows and having a bus/bike only lane will be eliminated.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Really?

You insulted bus transit over and over again in defense of the $100 million 1.3 mile streetcar line. Bus lanes make a lot of sense as an alternate to much more expensive streetcars. I'd rather have complete bus transit in dedicated lanes rather than half-assed connectivity the streetcar provides.
The Streetcar is a 1st piece of the streetcar network, that has to have a cross-downtown line. Also, Auburn Ave is already served by bus and the ridership is low in that corridor. Also, first time riders are more reluctant to ride a bus. Finally, the streetcar was also an economic tool that is now proving to work as more than $1B of investment has been built or planned projects.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Really?

Careful now, just because someone doesn't prefer one mode in a location, doesn't mean they don't like that mode in another location entirely.

BRT and Streetcar / LRT each have a place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta