Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 11:35 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Fulton County gov just sucks. Any effort to reform the county government, the "everything comes back to race" folks start screaming. People are too afraid to have a logical discussion about well run government then nothing happens. The race obsessed crowd does nothing but hold everyone back as their only interest is the color of a person's skin, not well run government. This only benefits the incumbents and their cronies.
It's been my impression that the Fulton county government has improved quite a bit in recent years.

New commissioners such as Bob Ellis from north fulton as well as Lee Morris and Marvin Arrington Jr. have brought in some new blood and they take a business like approach. I think John Eaves does a creditable job, as do Hausmann and Garner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 11:40 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Sophomorically (mis-)labeling oneself as if trying to get table points in a high school cafeteria are also characteristics of someone with severe limitations.
FDR would tell people like you to get it together. Believe it or not, most progressives believe in responsibility and accountability. Then there's the fringe liberals like yourself who always want to blame someone else.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:42 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,244,335 times
I do apologize, I forgot only minority run entities come under scrutiny.

Or is it that some people only think about race and blindly defend any organization, regardless of merit, due to color of those in charge? I guess in that instance it would be easy to think there is a grand conspiracy / ulterior motives when thought processes are so incredibly insular.

BTW, I'm not necessary advocating a split. However, I can see logical reasons behind it.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,313,782 times
Only someone who is a part of the dominant tribe would read a message that actually wants equal judgement of operators of government as "how dare you not think the way that I want you to think!"

Quite frankly I'd say let Milton County happen. I'm cool with it.

There has rarely if ever been true honesty or fairnest in how this government in 'murica operates anyways. Especially if a person is not a part of the tribe with the power.

I'd say let the truth come out. Heck, I'd go even so far as to hope that Trump actually wins the Presidential election.

And bring back those colorful Dixie flags just to spice things up a bit.

Maybe people of my demographic will finally get the message that their presence and labor are persona non grata.

And finally start working together in brother & sisterhood...on a new Tulsa/Greenwood/Auburn business renaissance...that should have happened long ago.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:20 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,752,480 times
Quote:
Race is not the motivation in the desire to split, it is the incompetence.

Fulton County gov just sucks. Any effort to reform the county government, the "everything comes back to race" folks start screaming. People are too afraid to have a logical discussion about well run government then nothing happens. The race obsessed crowd does nothing but hold everyone back as their only interest is the color of a person's skin, not well run government. This only benefits the incumbents and their cronies.

If people would work together with the primary interest being a well run government, we wouldn't have a strong movement to branch off into another county. I look forward to the emotion filled race obsessed crowd dying out along with their emotion filled friends, "The Racists". Don't expect much progress in this realm until then.
Creating a new government is only solving the problem for them alone. And even then, what has the Fulton county government done wrong. North Fulton is in much better shape than Dekalb or Clayton was with their governments.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Creating a new government is only solving the problem for them alone. And even then, what has the Fulton county government done wrong. North Fulton is in much better shape than Dekalb or Clayton was with their governments.

Exactly. They're fighting to keep it that way!

Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,972 times
My two cents: Since this is a constitutional amendment, it will have to go to voters statewide. I'd like to be put on record as someone who is voting "no" if it makes it to the ballot. I'm not for the further balkanization of metro Atlanta, especially through creating new counties. 159 is more than enough, it's already the second largest number of counties in the country (behind Texas). If anything, that number should be smaller.

All this amendment does is write a loophole into the "no more than 159 counties" rule. If North Fulton residents have a problem with the way county government works, maybe it's time for cities need to be given more powers instead of trying to resurrect a long-dead county. North Fulton is 99.8% incorporated anyway.

If Milton County wants to reform, the General Assembly must either look at stripping powers from counties or take a look at consolidating low-population counties. For instance, Taliaferro County has ~1,800 residents; more people live in the (small) city of Lithonia! Echols County is home to 3,000 people. Quitman County is home to just over 2,000 people. And on and on and on...

- skbl17

Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,045,893 times
Quote:
I don't care either way too much, but it seems like a bad idea.

But look at the outline of Fulton County. It is stupid. These aren't logical borders, its like a gerrymandered congressional district. Not necessarily a good reason to split up, just saying...

No, it's like what was created when Milton County merged with Fulton to prop itself up and avoid bankruptcy. I guess now Milton feels like it's through with Fulton and wants a clean break. I guess it just doesn't appreciate being rescued anymore. But the modern-day Fulton County wasn't "drawn" by anyone - it was formed by a merger of counties.

What really gets me is that some people act as if South Fulton/Atlanta is all unemployment/welfare/drugs/crime/etc. and North Fulton is all wealthy....this couldn't be further from the truth. Sure, Atlanta and South Fulton contain the roughest and lowest-income portions of the county but those are a small part of the overall picture. There is plenty of money and wealth south of Sandy Springs and I certainly don't see North Fulton's tax dollars being invested along English Avenue. Where is the evidence that all this elusive money is being redistributed anywhere in South Fulton?

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-27-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,872,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
My two cents: Since this is a constitutional amendment, it will have to go to voters statewide. I'd like to be put on record as someone who is voting "no" if it makes it to the ballot. I'm not for the further balkanization of metro Atlanta, especially through creating new counties. 159 is more than enough, it's already the second largest number of counties in the country (behind Texas). If anything, that number should be smaller.

All this amendment does is write a loophole into the "no more than 159 counties" rule. If North Fulton residents have a problem with the way county government works, maybe it's time for cities need to be given more powers instead of trying to resurrect a long-dead county. North Fulton is 99.8% incorporated anyway.

If Milton County wants to reform, the General Assembly must either look at stripping powers from counties or take a look at consolidating low-population counties. For instance, Taliaferro County has ~1,800 residents; more people live in the (small) city of Lithonia! Echols County is home to 3,000 people. Quitman County is home to just over 2,000 people. And on and on and on...

- skbl17
Thanks for touching on my previous question. Who in the state would give up their county status willingly? These tiny counties you mention, I'm sure the county government itself is probably the largest employer. I could see that it would be better on the state budget to decrease the amount of small counties like this, but I sure don't see any locals clamoring to dissolve the counties they have.

I agree about giving the cities more power. There is such a small part of the overall county that is unincorporated, Fulton County as a municipal service provider could be put to bed forever. So what is left that is run by the county that the Northern half would want to divorce over? Again, I see the county-wide school system. Again, I make the case that if the state gave an exception that there be two separate systems in this county, a North Fulton School district and a South Fulton.... or if South Fulton Schools consolidated with the city of Atlanta Schools.... I guarantee you the call for Milton would fade away.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,752,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for touching on my previous question. Who in the state would give up their county status willingly? These tiny counties you mention, I'm sure the county government itself is probably the largest employer. I could see that it would be better on the state budget to decrease the amount of small counties like this, but I sure don't see any locals clamoring to dissolve the counties they have.

I agree about giving the cities more power. There is such a small part of the overall county that is unincorporated, Fulton County as a municipal service provider could be put to bed forever. So what is left that is run by the county that the Northern half would want to divorce over? Again, I see the county-wide school system. Again, I make the case that if the state gave an exception that there be two separate systems in this county, a North Fulton School district and a South Fulton.... or if South Fulton Schools consolidated with the city of Atlanta Schools.... I guarantee you the call for Milton would fade away.
How exactly do South Fulton schools affect North Fulton ones? They have absolutely no interaction beyond a few students lucky enough to attend the better North Fulton schools through charter programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta