Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
How exactly do South Fulton schools affect North Fulton ones? They have absolutely no interaction beyond a few students lucky enough to attend the better North Fulton schools through charter programs.
As with most things to do with topics like this: Money.

It's not about the performance, it's about the money. How much more funded would all the programs at all the schools in North Fulton be without the South Fulton schools having to be funded at an equal level? Also, it would automatically be the wealthiest, highest ranked and most regarded district in the state. Don't think that the powers that be that want Milton siphoned off aren't eyeing this as a goal.

It is not being said as such. Neither am I a proponent of this, so I am not defending this line of reasoning. Just my call. What else is to be gained with a Milton County now that all of the area is incorporated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
How exactly do South Fulton schools affect North Fulton ones? They have absolutely no interaction beyond a few students lucky enough to attend the better North Fulton schools through charter programs.
They are the same school system...there is one central office that does the hiring and performs all administrative duties for the entire system, so there is plenty of interaction. What interaction is there between North Gwinnett and South Gwinnett schools? Or any schools on the opposite side of a city or county? I know you were talking about funding, but many people seem to think there are two separate school systems in Fulton County.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

It's not about the performance, it's about the money. How much more funded would all the programs at all the schools in North Fulton be without the South Fulton schools having to be funded at an equal level? Also, it would automatically be the wealthiest, highest ranked and most regarded district in the state. Don't think that the powers that be that want Milton siphoned off aren't eyeing this as a goal.

It is not being said as such. Neither am I a proponent of this, so I am not defending this line of reasoning. Just my call. What else is to be gained with a Milton County now that all of the area is incorporated?
This is not that different than any other county...you have wealthier school districts and poorer school districts within the same system. I don't see that the North Fulton area schools hurting any because of those in the south end of the county. Yes, more money comes from property taxes in North Fulton, but it's that way in every school system everywhere. The wealthier neighborhoods contribute more for everything tax-wise than the poorer areas - that's just the way it is and Fulton County is not unique in that way. You could say the same thing about Buckhead schools as opposed to Southwest Atlanta schools, but that's called being part of a system. If Fulton wasn't completely divided by the city we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You never hear about the wealthier areas of Gwinnet County wanting to break away or those of DeKalb or any other county - it's just the way Fulton County is shaped and divided that causes such an uproar.

And many of the South Fulton schools are not poor and are not propped up by North Fulton. There are middle-class areas of southern Fulton County.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-27-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
They are the same school system...there is one central office that does the hiring and performs all administrative duties for the entire system, so there is plenty of interaction. What interaction is there between North Gwinnett and South Gwinnett schools? Or any schools on the opposite side of a city or county? I know you were talking about funding, but many people seem to think there are two separate school systems in Fulton County.

These schools are different. Other than hiring and the actual school board the schools or students have no interaction. The districtis split in four different sub zones (North, Northwest, Central, and South). You can tell the difference in atmosphere from a North and South Fulton school pretty easily. The quality of staff and expectations are different. Also since their divided, the students of North and South Fulton don't even interact.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:

I can believe that. If this passes Milton would be the only school system with no low income areas except maybe Fayette.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
This is not that different than any other county...you have wealthier school districts and poorer school districts within the same system. I don't see that the North Fulton area schools hurting any because of those in the south end of the county. Yes, more money comes from property taxes in North Fulton, but it's that way in every school system everywhere. The wealthier neighborhoods contribute more for everything tax-wise than the poorer areas - that's just the way it is and Fulton County is not unique in that way. You could say the same thing about Buckhead schools as opposed to Southwest Atlanta schools, but that's called being part of a system. If Fulton wasn't completely divided by the city we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You never hear about the wealthier areas of Gwinnet County wanting to break away or those of DeKalb or any other county - it's just the way Fulton County is shaped and divided that causes such an uproar.

And many of the South Fulton schools are not poor and are not propped up by North Fulton. There are middle-class areas of southern Fulton County.
I don't disagree with any of this. But I would counter that if some uber wealthy areas in other parts of the state had some sort of "out" they would pursue it. That the north Fulton area was an actual county at one time is being used by some to separate their part of the county from the remainder. That a huge city system divides their county, well there isn't anything close to resembling this in the rest of the state as all other counties are contiguous with their districts. There is no other city school system that is border to border like Atlanta which cuts the county system into two far flung entities on the map.

I can't help but think that the incorporation efforts in DeKalb are also eyeing the future of their schools in their desire to become less dependent on the county. While this effort in North Fulton is banking on resurrecting a former county and trying to find a way to fit in that 159 county cap, another way to deal with this is to strike down the law that does not allow cities to operate separate systems from their respective county. Trust me, if this were to happen, Dunwoody would establish a separate system from DeKalb in a heartbeat. You might even find areas that have no reason to incorporate seek to incorporate so they could establish a separate school system. East Cobb? Don't think it is too far fetched.

Is there a racial component here? Probably. But more of a class/socio economic divide than a racial divide.

Just sitting on the sidelines making arm chair quarterback observations here. Not a proponent of the status quo or any changes, so don't anybody debate me as if I were. If I had my way, I'd make a wholesale change to the map that would affect city limits, county services and school boundaries on a much broader scale.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
These schools are different. Other than hiring and the actual school board the schools or students have no interaction. The districtis split in four different sub zones (North, Northwest, Central, and South). You can tell the difference in atmosphere from a North and South Fulton school pretty easily. The quality of staff and expectations are different. Also since their divided, the students of North and South Fulton don't even interact.
When my kids were at Milton, every day four busloads of students made the trip from South Fulton. Friends tell me there still are buses making that run(my kids graduated 5 years ago), but I can't confirm it. There was no controversy over it, most people I spoke with felt as I did, that it was a shame the kids needed to make such a long trip to have access to a better school, but it was commendable that they were willing to do so.

So little was made out of it, that I may never have known it happened, but there were times when kids who wanted to take part in after school activities needed transportation to MARTA so they could get home, and parents stepped up to get them to the station.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
My two cents: Since this is a constitutional amendment, it will have to go to voters statewide. I'd like to be put on record as someone who is voting "no" if it makes it to the ballot. I'm not for the further balkanization of metro Atlanta, especially through creating new counties. 159 is more than enough, it's already the second largest number of counties in the country (behind Texas). If anything, that number should be smaller.

All this amendment does is write a loophole into the "no more than 159 counties" rule. If North Fulton residents have a problem with the way county government works, maybe it's time for cities need to be given more powers instead of trying to resurrect a long-dead county. North Fulton is 99.8% incorporated anyway.

If Milton County wants to reform, the General Assembly must either look at stripping powers from counties or take a look at consolidating low-population counties. For instance, Taliaferro County has ~1,800 residents; more people live in the (small) city of Lithonia! Echols County is home to 3,000 people. Quitman County is home to just over 2,000 people. And on and on and on...

- skbl17
We have such small and numerous counties because when GA was setup, one of the original 13 colonies, county seats were planned to be no more than a days horse ride from anywhere in the county.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:

Sir please cease and desist...you're making too much sense and we can't have that.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with any of this. But I would counter that if some uber wealthy areas in other parts of the state had some sort of "out" they would pursue it. That the north Fulton area was an actual county at one time is being used by some to separate their part of the county from the remainder. That a huge city system divides their county, well there isn't anything close to resembling this in the rest of the state as all other counties are contiguous with their districts. There is no other city school system that is border to border like Atlanta which cuts the county system into two far flung entities on the map.

I can't help but think that the incorporation efforts in DeKalb are also eyeing the future of their schools in their desire to become less dependent on the county. While this effort in North Fulton is banking on resurrecting a former county and trying to find a way to fit in that 159 county cap, another way to deal with this is to strike down the law that does not allow cities to operate separate systems from their respective county. Trust me, if this were to happen, Dunwoody would establish a separate system from DeKalb in a heartbeat. You might even find areas that have no reason to incorporate seek to incorporate so they could establish a separate school system. East Cobb? Don't think it is too far fetched.

Is there a racial component here? Probably. But more of a class/socio economic divide than a racial divide.

Just sitting on the sidelines making arm chair quarterback observations here. Not a proponent of the status quo or any changes, so don't anybody debate me as if I were. If I had my way, I'd make a wholesale change to the map that would affect city limits, county services and school boundaries on a much broader scale.
Good stuff. I think this move should be stopped at least based on the precedent it would establish. It wouldn't be a stretch for affluent parts of other counties to do the same with some other sort of justification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta