Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 02:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
They are cute, but how do you keep them from getting stolen?
I would assume that we'd provide something similar to bike racks where they can be securely hitched up. As with everything else, you can't absolutely prevent theft but you can deter it.

Also these little guys are small they are serious vehicles that can easily keep up with intown traffic.

They are very popular in many cities around the world. It seems to me this could be a chance for the ATL to get ahead of the curve.

Although I personally like scooters I'd also include other powered bikes in the process. As I understand it the big objection to regular bicycles is that they are slow and they therefore either slow down traffic or require special lanes. Powered bikes would seem to overcome that problem.

Last edited by arjay57; 12-25-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 04:06 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Mopeds are cool but I was thinking of something more like this.

Atlanta Motor Scooters | Scooters Atlanta GA | Scooters Decatur GA | Electric Bicycles | Mopeds

I didn't think there was a difference.
I've seen a lot in College Station due to their affordability in initial cost and great gas mileage. They won't replace cars entirely but I could see them becoming more popular for intown areas like a lot of the east Atlanta neighborhoods

Old 12-25-2015, 05:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Bikes are plenty dangerous, arjay.

I used to know two people who bicycle commuted. They both stopped after very serious accidents. One involved a car, but one simply involved a steel gutter grating.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I didn't think there was a difference.
I've seen a lot in College Station due to their affordability in initial cost and great gas mileage. They won't replace cars entirely but I could see them becoming more popular for intown areas like a lot of the east Atlanta neighborhoods
Apparently the terms are used interchangeably these days.

When I was growing up scooters looked like the picture I posted earlier.

Mopeds (below) had a pedal system that you could use in addition to the motor.

Moped Scooters - What Is a Moped Scooter? Scooters Mopeds - Huh?

Old 12-25-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Bikes are plenty dangerous, arjay.

I used to know two people who bicycle commuted. They both stopped after very serious accidents. One involved a car, but one simply involved a steel gutter grating.
I realize there is a danger with bicycles, ATLTJL. Nonetheless, they still have plenty of fans and are highly promoted as an alternative means of transportation.

All I'm saying is that scooters have to be at least as safe -- if not safer -- than a bicycle.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:56 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Apparently the terms are used interchangeably these days.

When I was growing up scooters looked like the picture I posted earlier.

Mopeds (below) had a pedal system that you could use in addition to the motor.

Moped Scooters - What Is a Moped Scooter? Scooters Mopeds - Huh?
Oh I see. I've seen a few of those. I always thought they were more of novelties for lazy people than an actual mode of transportation.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Why would you think something that goes much faster than a bike but offers no additional protection for the rider would be at least as safe?

My assumption is that scooters are much more dangerous.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:07 AM

I think they are more nimble and better able to get out of harm's way, ATLTJL. They are also able to move along at the same pace as intown auto traffic.

However, those are just personal opinions and I'm certainly not an expert on safety.

And I'm also speaking as a long time motorcycle rider so I may be biased.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Why not have better enforcement of current traffic laws and better drivers education. It appears the main issue is drivers who don't care or do not know the laws.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Notice how many more people you can move when you include scooters in the mix.

They help fill in the unused gaps between automobiles.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: