Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:53 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times

Advertisements

What kind of house are you looking for? Single family with a large yard? Single family, zero lot line? Townhome ? Condo? What's your budget?

If you don't have kids and don't need excellent schools, there's no need to look as far out as Powder Springs unless budgetary constraints dictate that, i.e., you want a pretty large, newer house and don't want to spend more than $250k or so. If you actually prefer that area, that's another thing, but it sounds like you will still be commuting and there are many desirable, relatively affordable locations within Cobb County that are much more centrally located than Powder Springs.

There's very little in Vinings, proper, that would compare to what you'll find in Powder Springs, from a price perspective, but as others have mentioned, Smyrna is nearby and much of it is still relatively affordable. Same goes for downtown Marietta, which is highly walkable with shops and restaurants, and where the housing stock really runs the gamut, from old bungalows that could use some work for the mid-100s, to condos and townhomes in the 200s and 300s, to larger new construction single family homes in the 400s, to 100-year-old mansions north of $1M.

I know Mableton less well but certainly there are some good deals to be had there as well, and while it's not especially close to any very interesting commercial developments already in existence, it would provide a relatively convenient commute to the city of Atlanta, if that's where you're headed, and is also close to the future Riverview Landing development, which could be quite interesting when it's completed a few years down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 AM

174 posts, read 206,331 times
We're leasing as opposed to buying as I have a somewhat irrational fear of being stuck with a home I can't sell if I get transferred, and being transferred is a possibility.

Preferred budget is between 1100 and 1475. We can afford a good bit more, but would rather place those funds into savings and investments and do not mind traveling just a touch farther to be able to save.

We've lived the apartment and condo life for a long while, and are looking to lease a full single family style house. We do have a large dog, so are wishing a good tall fence to the backyard, and of course a place that accepts pets. So, that whittles down the "market" as it were, considerably. The two properties we were initially looking at we were less than impressed with once we got there in person.

It's been 7 years since we've moved, and I've never looked for rental houses before ... so all of this searching has been a learning experience

Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Thanks for the clarifications. It makes it easier for us to try to guide you.

I know much less about the rental market than I do sales, and even less about rental houses, but generally speaking, your budget will probably be somewhat challenging for closer in areas if you want a single-family home with a yard appropriate for a large dog. In Vinings proper (30339) you are certainly unlikely to find anything at all in that price range. I just downloaded the Zillow rentals app and do see a few that would meet your criteria in Smyrna and Marietta. For instance:

Smyrna
2039 Westwood Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30080 | Zillow
908 Sharon Cir SE, Smyrna, GA 30080 | Zillow

Marietta
489 Freyer Dr NE, Marietta, GA 30060 | Zillow

And so on...

Anyhow, just a few ideas. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:07 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
Hey there

So, my search for homes OTP continues. I am currently eyeballing two neighborhoods in Cobb. Now, the husband and I have no children, so what schools are in the area are far less of a concern to me.

Would like to get some quick opinions on the areas? I've examined via GoogleMaps street view, and they seem nice enough, but firsthand opinions are welcome

Powder Springs -- Area near Marietta St and Old Austell Rd

Austell -- Area near Clay Rd and Flint Hill Rd
I'd do Powder Springs over that part of Austell any day without any further info on what you want. Clarkdale is ok, but Powder Springs is nicer. Furthermore, the closer you get to Veteran's Memorial near Austell Rd and Mableton, the worse it gets (until close enough to Smyrna that it gets really nice). Not just in terms of crime and schools, aesthetic and quality of residents and sense of community but also it has slightly closer access to the Silver Comet Trail. I just built a ~ half million $$ home about 1-1.5 mile North of there and go there all the time.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-12-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Btw, if you are moving OTP from Atlanta and have lived in Inman Park, etc, why aren't you considering Smyrna or Marietta first, or the parts of Mableton really close to Smyrna? It seems like you are taking a huge leap from urban to quasi-rural suburban. Are you looking for giant lots or something? You may have culture shock.

Quote:
Thanks

The neighborhood in Austell we are looking at happens to be next to Sweetwater Creek and a lake. So that is definitely something to consider.

Conversely, the location of the railroad in proximity to the neighborhoods in Powder Springs we are checking is also worrisome. How often does the train go through, do you know, and whats the decibel level when it does?
I think that's the Norfolk Southern line from Atlanta and it goes through both Austell and Powder Springs. There's also a huge freight yard between the two near CH James. Train whistles travel so you're going to hear it anywhere, but once you're as far away as Old Austell Rd it shouldn't be too bad. I never hear train whistles at the Dairy Queen, etc, but who knows. I also don't know what your tolerance level is.

The only area of Cobb County I know of that won't have train whistles at track crossings is in Smyrna, because Smyrna invested a lot of money in a "no whistle" ordinance for trains which requires upgraded crossings. Two major train lines run through Cobb running through pretty much every city in Cobb County. So how far you can get away from train tracks is relative.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Out of curiosity, are these the same trains that go through Vinings?
No. That's the W&A line. The one through Austell and Powder Springs is Norfolk-Southern. Not quite as busy as W&A but a very busy line. Both meet in Atlanta. They cross the river on either side of Plant Atkinson.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I went to take a gander at the properties we were eyeing this past weekend. Based upon that visit, and driving around, intentionally getting "lost" and then "unlosing" myself, we've decided to open the search up to Mableton, Smyrna, and parts of Marietta. Vinings, too, maybe, though I believe that is still Fulton?
Vinings is in Cobb County. It's sandwiched between Smyrna and Buckhead. Smyrna and Vinings are essentially the same market, with Vinings just being higher end with typically larger lots. Price per square foot, Vinings is one of the most expensive places in metro Atlanta, and Smyrna is only slightly more affordable because it is packed in a little more. Smyrna is a great place with a lot of sense of community. Honestly, without kids, it'd be a much better investment than Powder Springs. For families, things get a bit more complicated.

Wouldn't hurt to look at Hiram as well. 92 will be upgraded soon from Hiram to I-20 if you need to get into the city. I-20 can be a real pain though and there's just that much extra of CH James to contend with going the other way into Atlanta. Smyrna has all kinds of back ways into the city. So does Powder Springs and Austell via CH James, Fulton Industrial and what-not.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Gotcha. I've been using GA MLS, Zillow, Hotpads, etc to keep my eye on varying rentals in Metro Atlanta. I am very familiar with Dekalb and many Gwinnett communities, but hadn't been all that familiar with Cobb communities, other than the very specific neighborhoods our two friends live in

Quote:
Btw, if you are moving OTP from Atlanta and have lived in Inman Park, etc, why aren't you considering Smyrna or Marietta first, or the parts of Mableton really close to Smyrna? It seems like you are taking a huge leap from urban to quasi-rural suburban. Are you looking for giant lots or something? You may have culture shock.
We are also looking at Smyrna / Mableton / Marietta. I was just absolutely not familiar with either Powder Springs or Austell and wanted to get opinions on them to decide if I might include them in the search filters. Plus, there had been some properties that looked nice, though later discarded because they were not as nice in person

As an aside, I think I've lived completely rural (NC) for as long as I have lived completely urban (ATL) ... quasi-rural suburban will be fine if the house/price is right.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Figured I would give this thread an update ...

We settled onto a home that is in West Cobb, in the area around Mars Hill Rd and 120, and will be moving in March. We are really pleased with the area ... fairly nice access to groceries and the like, various shopping, restaurants all within 10-20 minutes. Fairly pleasant neighborhoods, as far as I can tell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta