Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Honestly, I think Gwinnett County made the right call to keep schools open today, never mind the whining kids on Twitter who feel that they're "entitled" to being out of school just because everyone else closed early (at one point last year, Gwinnett was trending nationally because of the same whiny kids).

- skbl17
That was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 01:15 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
While I have gotten reports of frozen precip mixing in northeast of Atlanta, Atlanta proper should be fine for another few hours.

Honestly, I think Gwinnett County made the right call to keep schools open all day today, never mind the whining kids on Twitter who feel that they're "entitled" to being out of school just because everyone else closed early (at one point last year, Gwinnett was trending nationally because of the same whiny kids).

- skbl17
That was classic. But really, we're supposed to start getting our snow up here around 5 which is actually when they decided to officially close the school and cancel night classes (helps that its the end of the week anyway). Cancelling due to cold rain that won't even freeze til hours after school ends is silly. I get the whole "treat the roads" thing but the roads up here have been treated since I got in on Monday. It hasn't rained to wash the salt off but still.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
That was funny.
It's a really dangerous game trying to decide whether to cancel school due to possible bad weather. The school system is responsible for the lives of the students and injuries that may occur, so they have to be very careful when winter weather conditions are predicted. In recent years they have sided with caution in many cases where there wasn't any bad weather and people tend to laugh about that, but they wouldn't be laughing if thousands of kids were at school and a winter storm actually happened. It would be chaotic and there would be many angry parents demanding answers.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Gwinnett county is in all day, they don't play up there
They let us out a measly 10 minutes early..

Old 01-22-2016, 03:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's a really dangerous game trying to decide whether to cancel school due to possible bad weather. The school system is responsible for the lives of the students and injuries that may occur, so they have to be very careful when winter weather conditions are predicted. In recent years they have sided with caution in many cases where there wasn't any bad weather and people tend to laugh about that, but they wouldn't be laughing if thousands of kids were at school and a winter storm actually happened. It would be chaotic and there would be many angry parents demanding answers.
Weather forecasts are pretty clear, even when Snowmageddon happened. They should have known it was coming and today they should have known it was not (at least in the city).

Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM

332 posts, read 344,457 times
Wasn't too bad, especially out here in southern Gwinnett. Some snow stuck, but not that much. And it's melting off as it gets close to 32. The wind is just making it colder.

Is this the one big event every native has been telling me about? I sure hope so.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:30 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Wasn't too bad, especially out here in southern Gwinnett. Some snow stuck, but not that much. And it's melting off as it gets close to 32. The wind is just making it colder.

Is this the one big event every native has been telling me about? I sure hope so.
Luckily I think it was plenty cold enough, so it fell as powder. For the most part we got spared of ice.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
There might be an inch of snow! Cancel everything! Crash the supermarkets! Seal your doors and windows with duct tape so not a single snowflake gets inside your house! Set your house on fire to stay warm if necessary! Do not go outside until all the snow has melted! This is some serious **** that's about to go down, so pay attention to what I just said! It's the only way you'll survive the Xtreme-Super-Mega-Turbo-Ultra-Epic Black Swan Blizzard of 2016!
That's a perfect description of how our weather reports would be here in Phoenix if we were to get measurable snowfall. (it's almost that bad if we get rain)

Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM

524 posts, read 521,879 times
It snowed in Buckhead last night. So I rushed to the grocery store, thinking it would be a madhouse with people in the aisles fighting over the last loaf of bread. Instead, I found ample parking spaces and a nearly empty grocery store. The shelves and coolers were stocked with food. I'm so proud of Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Well they shut down New York City for snow. Of course, they are getting 2 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta