Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Yes, but you are moving the goalpost. This conversation is related to a 110k downtown condo, not Gwinnett. If you were on topic, the argument would be rather silly. Of course you can get to Decatur from Downtown in less than 20 minutes. No one is suggesting that you don't need a car in certain parts of METRO ATLANTA, but you certainly don't NEED one in downtown Atlanta. Take it from me, I'm living proof.
No, I'm referring to whether everyone can just live wherever they want. And they can't. One of the unfortunate byproducts of making urban neighborhoods more walkable and livable is that they price some people out of affordability, even for renting. That's part of why poverty is growing in the suburbs. And it hurts them especially hard, because once you get outside Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton, public transit options are weak to nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisteringherb View Post
The HOA fees on this place are $480/mo though, not to mention there's no parking included. Both of those knock the price down a fair bit.
$48 is crazy cheap for condo fees

Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
People should realize that you CAN live car-free in Atlanta and get along quite well. Is it as easy/convenient as NYC or DC? Of course not, but anyone should know that it can (and often is) done and people live their lives quite well without a car. There is a lot of walking involved, but even in the best transit city that is still true. In NYC the subway doesn't usually let you out at your destination's doorstep...a lot of walking is the norm.

I have never tried it and I know it would be a difficult transition, but I bet after the initial shock wears off it's very liberating and much cheaper. There are challenges to living both with or without a car...they are just different challenges and most of us are not accustomed to those of living car-free. It takes effort to make a change, but the transit options in Atlanta are good enough to live do it. I have known several people over the years who chose to depend on a combination of bus/rail transit, private shuttles, bicycles, taxis/Uber, scooters, etc. and they generally seemed pretty happy with their choice.

Rather than say it can't be done, the real statement is "I don't want to do it." Oh yeah, downtown being the most urban environment in our city will catch on sooner or later with more residential options. There are already more than most people realize and downtown actually has a decent population for a CBD...most CBDs across the US are similar in that they are not the most popular residential areas. Example: San Francisco's Financial District has a fairly small population - more people live in the adjacent neighborhoods. Same goes for the Chicago Loop and Lower Manhattan.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 03-08-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,983 times
Lets' be real here. Most people living car free in the ATL metro either don't have a choice or they are trying to prove some point.

This isn't Boston or DC and it will take considerably more patience to make it work in a metro like ATL compared to somewhere like Chicago or Philly. It's doable but, its more of a question of how much is your time worth to you.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Lets' be real here. Most people living car free in the ATL metro either don't have a choice or they are trying to prove some point.

This isn't Boston or DC and it will take considerably more patience to make it work in a metro like ATL compared to somewhere like Chicago or Philly. It's doable but, its more of a question of how much is your time worth to you.
Not true. So I actually own a car today since I am a mile from MARTA. But my current roommate and multiple other applicants that were interested in my extra room does not. They just bike or take Uber everywhere. They are not people out trying to prove some point. They are young professionals that just don't like the restrictions that come with car ownership. It is just easier and more liberating to take an Uber instead of having to maintain a car, figure out parking, coordinating travel with a group than it is to just hop in an Uber. Not to mention many places in town are quicker to get to on a bike.

They are making me look bad as someone that is such a "die-hard walk / bike / transit fan" that I still own a car and these people that care much less do not. I even had been justifying it as my commute is just not practical via non-car since I work near the airport and they work up in Midtown. It would be a 10 mile bike ride or a MARTA trip that would require connections. But I just found I have a coworker near me that bikes that 10 miles to work each day. I am rapidly running out of excuses to keep my car around.

But I am planning to downtown. And I will not be taking my car with me there for sure.

Last edited by jsvh; 03-09-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not true. So I actually own a car today since I am a mile from MARTA. But my current roommate and multiple other applicants that were interested in my extra room does not. They just bike or take Uber everywhere. They are not people out trying to prove some point. They are young professionals that just don't like the restrictions that come with car ownership. It is just easier and more liberating to take an Uber instead of having to maintain a car, figure out parking, coordinating travel with a group than it is to just hop in an Uber. Not to mention many places in town are quicker to get to on a bike.

They are making me look bad as someone that is such a "die-hard walk / bike / transit fan" that I still own a car and these people that care much less do not. I even had been justifying it as my commute is just not practical via non-car since I work near the airport and they work up in Midtown. It would be a 10 mile bike ride or a MARTA trip that would require connections. But I just found I have a coworker near me that bikes that 10 miles to work each day. I am rapidly running out of excuses to keep my car around.
It is very easy and many times just as quick or quicker to get around Atlanta on a bike.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But I just found I have a coworker near me that bikes that 10 miles to work each day
You can't possibly think that is practical for most people.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You can't possibly think that is practical for most people.
I do not. At least everyday. Especially because of the lack of bike infrastructure. But that is part of why I still own a car today and am planning to move downtown. For an easier, cheaper, and car-free commute. But if my car died today, I would not replace it. Even living where I do. I would just start to do a mix of transit, bike, or Uber.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 AM

347 posts, read 380,311 times
I mean, if I didn't enjoy driving as a hobby, and had a job downtown or at least MARTA accessbile rather than in Alpharetta, I might consider it ( cheap is cheap )

Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
I mean, if I didn't enjoy driving as a hobby, and had a job downtown or at least MARTA accessbile rather than in Alpharetta, I might consider it ( cheap is cheap )
True. But just like if my job moved to another state I would probably find a new job, if my job was not transit accessible I would find a new one. And as we can see with many of these corporate relocations going on to nearby transit stations, employers are aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta