Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You can't possibly think that is practical for most people.

You can't possibly think you speak for most people...attitudes are changing about transit in the South. It's not just something for people who can't afford a car anymore, but is also good for the environment and is often cheaper than driving.

I wouldn't want to totally depend on buses, but a combination of bus/rail/other modes is more palatable. In cities where that is possible you find better attitudes toward transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You can't possibly think you speak for most people...attitudes are changing about transit in the South. It's not just something for people who can't afford a car anymore, but is also good for the environment and is often cheaper than driving.

I wouldn't want to totally depend on buses, but a combination of bus/rail/other modes is more palatable. In cities where that is possible you find better attitudes toward transit.
Nah, most people would not find riding a bike 10 miles to work everyday as acceptable if they have other viable options. I am willing to put money down on that survey.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Nah, most people would not find riding a bike 10 miles to work everyday as acceptable if they have other viable options. I am willing to put money down on that survey.
No kidding - how do you do that with a business suit on? In the summer, you'd get really sweaty. Wouldn't work for lots of folks, but I am happy for the folks for whom it does work.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Most shower at work if they do that. That is why Uber and transit options are essential. 10 miles everyday on today's car-dominated Atlanta roads is not possible in anything but a car.

As I said earlier, I will not be biking the 10 miles. I will be moving closer to transit. And I am not the only one making these sort of choices.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
And I am not the only one making these sort of choices.
Good to see folks doing just what you are doing. Would be great if more folks who can actually enjoy those options would follow your lead.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Good to see folks doing just what you are doing. Would be great if more folks who can actually enjoy those options would follow your lead.
I think the boom happening in-town and next to MARTA stations is showing that many are doing this. Even for people that still drive to work most days, they at least want to make sure they have options to easily get in town or go to the airport or just avoid traffic.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
We are going to need more Marta stations as the cost of living near the current ones goes beyond reach for many people. Is that in the foreseeable works?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
We are going to need more Marta stations as the cost of living near the current ones goes beyond reach for many people. Is that in the foreseeable works?
Most of the west and south line are affordable.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
People are mentioning the HOA fees as if they are high but the article quotes the HOA fee as being $48 per month. $48 per month for the HOA fee is absolutely nothing.

Edit: I just looked at the actual listing with Coldwell and it listed the "Assoc Fee" as being $580 per month. So, the article has to be WAY off when it quoted $48 per month. $580 would be much more believable and is basically why I don't typically even consider condos as options, as I don't want to pay $400 or $500 per month to maintain a building.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...w/pid_9468098/

Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM

96 posts, read 95,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Who says that once you have kids, you cannot live a car-free lifestyle? There are ways to raise kids in an urban setting that allows them to grow up normal.

I don't know, who does say that? I certainly didn't say anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta