Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 02:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The suburbs are a fine place to go out to eat, if you don't mind the "vanilla" options of Applebee's, the Olive Garden, and Ruby Tuesday.

But if you want more flair, you probably have to come into town. Which a lot of other people would like to do. Thus creating more demand for the limited parking that is available. Thus the price of parking can go up. Econ 101 right there.
I completely disagree. Sure the suburbs have all the chains, but they also have tremendous diversity. Remember, they are vast and are home to 90% of our population. Most of our ethnic rainbow is in the suburbs, not in the city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That's a generality that isn't really true. Today I ate at a non-chain, unique joint in suburban Smyrna, called Taco Cantina- and it was AMAZING. Better than anything I've had recently, anywhere in-town.

(Off topic, sorry.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I completely disagree. Sure the suburbs have all the chains, but they also have tremendous diversity. Remember, they are vast and are home to 90% of our population. Most of our ethnic rainbow is in the suburbs, not in the city proper.
Y'all did notice the word "probably," right?

Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
This notion that parking is free is incorrect. On-street parking is laid for by property taxes. Surface lots are paid for by customers as the price of the product reflects the cost to build and maintain the lot. Garages are paid for by passing the costs onto the user in the form of parking fees, rent, lease, or employer subsided parking.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Surface lots are paid for by customers as the price of the product reflects the cost to build and maintain the lot.
In theory. But go out and do a scientific comparative study. I can almost 100% guarantee you will find that comparable restaurants that do not offer free parking do not pass that savings onto their customers. I have never noticed any kind of price differential between restaurants that offer free parking vs. those that do not.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In theory. But go out and do a scientific comparative study. I can almost 100% guarantee you will find that comparable restaurants that do not offer free parking do not pass that savings onto their customers. I have never noticed any kind of price differential between restaurants that offer free parking vs. those that do not.
I am sure the price is subtle and less than a dollar.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
See, you miss out on a lot of things when you are stuck in a car and expect free parking. Going car-free for some trips or all together makes life more enjoyable.
You miss out on a lot more without a car than you do with one, I suspect. MARTA is limited, as we all know.

I suspect using both options is the best of both worlds if you can manage it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The suburbs are a fine place to go out to eat, if you don't mind the "vanilla" options of Applebee's, the Olive Garden, and Ruby Tuesday.
Please. Just looking in my immediate area (Cumberland/Vinings), I will say that places like Grub, Canoe, Old Vinings Inn, or even the Thai Diner are far better than Applebee's. Even places like Maggiano's, Stoney River, and Top Spice are chains which are far better.

You need to get out more.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You miss out on a lot more without a car than you do with one, I suspect. MARTA is limited, as we all know.

I suspect using both options is the best of both worlds if you can manage it.
Miss out on a lot more? How, if a car is 100% necessary, there are services like Uber and Lyft. Owning a car is expensive, someone would not notice how expensive unless they went from owning one to not, then they would notice the difference. Owning a car has been forced onto us by media, society, etc. we think that owning a car is just another required bill, like electricity, water, rent/mortgage.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Miss out on a lot more? How, if a car is 100% necessary, there are services like Uber and Lyft. Owning a car is expensive, someone would not notice how expensive unless they went from owning one to not, then they would notice the difference. Owning a car has been forced onto us by media, society, etc. we think that owning a car is just another required bill, like electricity, water, rent/mortgage.
With a car, you aren't limited to the metro. Yes, you can use Uber/Lyft or a taxi service, but with a car you can do what you want when you want. For me, the expense is worth it for the flexibility.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
With a car, you aren't limited to the metro. Yes, you can use Uber/Lyft or a taxi service, but with a car you can do what you want when you want. For me, the expense is worth it for the flexibility.
Not like there aren't planes, trains, buses, etc. for intercity transportation.
Just remember, that 'flexibility' sits idle for 90% of the time all while still costing you money (insurance, taxes, tags, etc.) With on demand transportation service, you only pay for the time and distance you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta