Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
With a car, you aren't limited to the metro. Yes, you can use Uber/Lyft or a taxi service, but with a car you can do what you want when you want. For me, the expense is worth it for the flexibility.
Wholly agree. Went to Blue Ridge for the last four or five days. Needed a car. Zip Car? Nah. I'd have to take a cab to pick it up, drop it back off at a Zip Car location, and take a cab back home. What a pain, when I can walk into my garage and save all that time heading to the mountains in my own car.

Zip Car, I believe, is about $79 per day. So, I'd have to drop about $400 for my trip to Blue Ridge. Do that a couple of times a month and it really adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not like there aren't planes, trains, buses, etc. for intercity transportation.
Just remember, that 'flexibility' sits idle for 90% of the time all while still costing you money (insurance, taxes, tags, etc.) With on demand transportation service, you only pay for the time and distance you need it.
Why would I fly to Athens? Or Carollton? Or Rome? Oh, you're assuming I'm going to another urban area?

I have willfully accepted the cost of my lifestyle. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I'm doing it out of ignorance. I've owned cars for 30 years. I know all about the expenses associated with them. For me, the ability to just take off whenever I want to wherever I want without having to trust (and depend on) another human to get me there is worth it.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Why would I fly to Athens? Or Carollton? Or Rome? Oh, you're assuming I'm going to another urban area?

I have willfully accepted the cost of my lifestyle. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I'm doing it out of ignorance. I've owned cars for 30 years. I know all about the expenses associated with them. For me, the ability to just take off whenever I want to wherever I want without having to trust (and depend on) another human to get me there is worth it.
First, why are you going to Carrollton and Rome?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Really? How much have you paid for all those nice billion dollar highways you have driven on in the last year? Or how much has your car depreciated in that period? How much depreciation and highway costs would you incur driving to the grocery store?

Reality is, the largest costs associated with owning a car get disconnected for their actual use.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
First, why are you going to Carrollton and Rome?
I have friends there. Why do you travel to various places?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Really? How much have you paid for all those nice billion dollar highways you have driven on in the last year? Or how much has your car depreciated in that period? How much depreciation and highway costs would you incur driving to the grocery store?
I pay my fair share of taxes. What else is expected of me as a law abiding citizen? I've owned my current vehicle since 1996. Are you really asking me about depreciation? I buy a car as a means of conveyance, not an investment.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
I pay my fair share of taxes. What else is expected of me as a law abiding citizen?
I expect you to pay the full costs of the transportation choices you make.

But that is besides the point. My point is that you don't know how much it really costs you to drive yourself somewhere.

Again, how much depreciation and road taxes did you pay on your last trip the grocery store? You don't know. Neither does anyone else.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM

Who knows the details of all of the underlying costs of the mass transit they take? Or the taxi? I don't see how car drivers are any different. None of us knows all of those details.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Somewhat related... From today's ABC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...318&j=73631862

Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Somewhat related... From today's ABC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...318&j=73631862
I wonder if traffic deaths in suburban areas where compared to murder rates in the city, what area would appear safer? I know in unincorporated Cobb County (not including cities and interstates), there were 41 traffic-related deaths for 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta