Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
[list][*]Get off the phone, put Netflix down, wake up, and get out of the LEFT LANE. This has become such an issue that the state had to make a law about this.[*]Passing in the right lanes is not only discouraged, but also illegal.[*]No, my turn signal does not mean its okay to speed up for 1/4th of a mile back to hurry up and block me into a closing lane.[*]Speeding is one thing, but if you're going to be in such a hurry PLEASE know where the heck you're going and not wait until 1/16th of a mile before your exit to cut across 8 lanes of interstate to barely make your exit.
It is sad to pass in the right lanes because motorists in the left lanes are going slow driving under the influence of cell phones and Netflix. Driving under and with the influence do include cell phones.

Turning
  • If you are making a right turn, use your right turn blinker. Using a left turn blinker and making a right turn sets you up for a wreck at your liability.

Parking
  • The fire lane is reserved for fire apparatuses and emergency vehicles. It is not additional parking spaces to park your vehicle in, grab a shopping cart, and spend a lot of time shopping.
  • Handicapped parking is for vehicles displaying handicap placards or have handicap endorsed license plates. If you do not have those displayed on your vehicle, you do not park in the handicap parking spaces. Veteran-endorsed license plates do not count for handicap parking.
  • Parking in the road to block traffic is dangerous. If there are empty parking spaces available, use them.
  • If you cannot read fire lane, handicap parking, and no parking signage, you will likely fail the literacy portion of a driver's examination, and you will be unable to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:47 PM

149 posts, read 182,183 times
Quote:
  • A Complete Stop is necessary before proceeding in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES unless there's a sign of which states "Keep Moving" That means yes, even if the sign says "Yield" and its controlled by a traffic signal, you still have to come to a complete stop, otherwise it's considered running a red light. Don't believe me? Look up the Georgia law.
I would be curious to see a lawyer answer this one. To me, the Yield sign overules the stop light. Otherwise, why waste money placing the sign and building a lane encouraging traffic to move?

40-6-72
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall, in obedience to such sign, slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line or, if there is no stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time such driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways. If such a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection after driving past a yield sign without stopping, such collision shall be deemed prima-facie evidence of his failure to yield the right of way.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,577 times
I almost always roll through stop signs. It's reduces wear & tear on my car, reduces stress, and keeps traffic flowing.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I almost always roll through stop signs. It's reduces wear & tear on my car, reduces stress, and keeps traffic flowing.
Wish I knew when you approach an intersection I am in! Stop that!!!!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Just had to lol at the OP. I agree you need to take a break from driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Dude! You left out "flashing yellow lights are NOT STOPS!!!!" A flashing yellow light means slow down and proceed with caution, but you do not have to stop. Stopping actually creates a more unsafe situation!
This is the only one that REALLY bothers me in Atlanta. Flashing yellow does NOT mean stop. I get really irked when people stop for a flashing yellow. Only flashing red and all lights off are considered "stop" signs.

Another one that bothers me but I think it is because of where I'm from is when the person at the front of the traffic line is turning left on a side street and they don't move up to let other cars go around them that aren't turning left. Many times I have had to wait through 3-4 lights just to go straight because the left turning people won't move up.

I think it is a regional thing as I never see that in the Midwest, no matter what city. The left turning vehicle always moves up past the crosswalk in order to give vehicles behind them the option to turn right or go straight.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
I would be curious to see a lawyer answer this one. To me, the Yield sign overules the stop light. Otherwise, why waste money placing the sign and building a lane encouraging traffic to move?

40-6-72
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall, in obedience to such sign, slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line or, if there is no stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time such driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways. If such a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection after driving past a yield sign without stopping, such collision shall be deemed prima-facie evidence of his failure to yield the right of way.
This is a huge cause of confusion, which led to Cobb DOT to remove all Yield Signs at signalized intersections, where the turn lane was not divided from the intersection by a raised concrete barrier.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just had to lol at the OP. I agree you need to take a break from driving.

This is the only one that REALLY bothers me in Atlanta. Flashing yellow does NOT mean stop. I get really irked when people stop for a flashing yellow. Only flashing red and all lights off are considered "stop" signs.

Another one that bothers me but I think it is because of where I'm from is when the person at the front of the traffic line is turning left on a side street and they don't move up to let other cars go around them that aren't turning left. Many times I have had to wait through 3-4 lights just to go straight because the left turning people won't move up.

I think it is a regional thing as I never see that in the Midwest, no matter what city. The left turning vehicle always moves up past the crosswalk in order to give vehicles behind them the option to turn right or go straight.
Passing someone on the right is dangerous and in many cases is illegal at an intersection. You should not be passing in the crosswalk.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,523,294 times
Quote:
There's just some things about Atlanta and suburban drivers that I absolutely cannot stand so I'm going to make a thread about it, hopefully some of you on the road will be influenced by it.
*SNIP*
  • Passing in the right lanes is not only discouraged, but also illegal.
Incorrect:
Quote:
40-6-43. When overtaking and passing on the right permitted

(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn; or

(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
Quote:

• Anytime at all that you rear end someone, it is ALWAYS your fault regardless of the circumstance with the one exception that you may be able to prove that the accident was intentionally created by the victim, which will be difficult to prove without video evidence.
Also incorrect, I actually know two people who within the past week have rearended people, but not been their fault (criminally or civilly) because in both cases the person hit pulled out in front of them without yielding the right of way.

Quote:
Intersections:
  • Be smart and look both ways before proceeding through an intersection, regardless if it has a traffic light or not. SO many accidents at intersections could be avoided by this instead of people trusting in a traffic light. The light is there to determine right of way but its not going to add any braking power to that 18 wheeler semi who wasn't paying attention and plows into the intersection. It peeves me how many people just stomp on the gas as soon as the light turns green, asking to be smashed by a early red light runner.
You're assuming those of us who "stomp on the gas" don't look. I most certainly do, unless you've seen the driver's head and eyes, you can't say with certainty that they aren't looking.

Quote:

• It's illegal to change lanes in an intersection.
Do you have a cite from the Georgia Code for this? A family member was involved in a collision a few years ago, they did change lanes in an intersection, but the police could not find any law making this illegal, and I still can't.
Quote:

• If you're about to merge onto a street via a right turn please don't jump right in-front of me. I won't hesitate to plow into you.
Then please don't speed up once you know I'm coming out.

Quote:
Railroad Crossings:
  • Busses and Hazmat Vehicles MUST stop before crossing these. It's the law. Be prepared to stop or you may also find yourself victem of the law.
  • Dont...just...don't try to beat the train. They are coming much faster than they appear and many modern locamotives are able to pace cars even on the interstate, meaning they're able to travel at about 80 MPH... if you get in a tie with a locamotive, the locamotive will win.
Well, actually, freight doesn't move at 80mph anywhere in the U.S. On the western railroads, intermodals can reach 70, but in Georgia the speeds top out at 50-60, and rarely above 50 around metro Atlanta. The only train that might be moving 80 near Atlanta is Amtrak's Crescent, but it doesn't hit the top passenger speed (79mph actually) except north of Atlanta, and even then not all that often if at all due to the numerous curves. Not saying don't be cautious approaching a crossing, but they aren't doing 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Passing someone on the right is dangerous and in many cases is illegal at an intersection. You should not be passing in the crosswalk.
Not true, see above.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Do you drive down Moore's Mill at Wesley much, going westbound? Because it's seriously like every other vehicle. I've waited sometimes 20 minutes just to get through the intersection at rush hour. There are times in the afternoon rush hour where this two-lane road backs up for almost half a mile because of left-turners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Do you have a cite from the Georgia Code for this? A family member was involved in a collision a few years ago, they did change lanes in an intersection, but the police could not find any law making this illegal, and I still can't.
Weird. In many states, this is specifically illegal within a certain number of feet from an intersection. My father has received a ticket for it before. But, I also cannot find any Georgia law about it. Changing lanes at an intersection is dangerous, and shouldn't be done, unless you know it's clear.

This actually happens to me all the time. Getting out of my neighborhood is difficult. It's from a small road onto a 4-lane major road with no signal. To the left is an almost blind curve, and to the right is normal. Oftentimes, you have no choice but to turn left off of our street into the left lane of the main road, knowing that there is someone in the right lane of that road. If you wait until it's clear, you could be there all day (or you turn right and find somewhere to turn around). But, you take a big risk doing this, because so many people seem to switch from the right to left lane there for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Not true, see above.
Man...if cutting around on the right is illegal, then they might as well just close the Moore's Mill/Wesley intersection, because it will never move.

Last edited by samiwas1; 06-21-2016 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 05:43 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Passing in the right lanes is not only discouraged, but also illegal

I do this all the time. I will stop once the idiots stop clogging up the left lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta