Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Ummmmmm...never heard of a dash cam?
In a police car! Private citizens use those???? How come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Isn't it dangerous to record while driving? Isn't that like texting while driving?
I have a dash cam mounted in my windshield on both of my cars. On my 99 Camaro it is also connected to my stereo head unit which is a modified computer and it uploads all footage back to my PC at home real-time (and I do this incase I ever come in touch with a prick cop). Everything inside the car is also recorded and just to give you an idea as to how incredibly overkill I am, I can also deactivate the car even while its moving with my cell phone if someone were to steal it (and not with OnStar, I mean by literally sending a text to the car and suddenly...she comes to a stop.)

Quote:
Because I drive in Atlanta.

In seriousness it has little to do with Atlanta as I find Atlanta's metro drivers to be fairly tame in comparison to other places like Texas or Chicago or New York and anywhere in the Northeast and also some parts of California will also give one a headache.

But I used to do alot of commuting on surface streets between Gwinnett and N.Fulton and I can't count the number of times I've encountered red light runners, failure to yields, and incidents that would be difficult to prove fault without footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What did you use to record that?

Wonder if you can go to the police since it seems like you have good footage.
Its a FHD1080P Dash Camera, got it cheap on Amazon.

I dont think the police will do anything unless an actual collision was involved AND he drove away from the scene.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 AM

654 posts, read 527,515 times
Quote:
To provide evidence in case of an accident. You'd be surprised how little investigating oinkers will do if you don't feed it to them.

As an example, an old co worker of mine tboned a car at a traffic light. She said he ran the light. He said she ran the light. Somebody was lieing but with no witnesses each driver paid their own repair bills.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I think dash cams have become pretty popular these days, Ansley.

For one thing, they can document an accident or road rage incident. Also, the ones with motion detection can show somebody messing with your car in a parking lot.

I sometimes use one for scenic cruises -- just for fun, really.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think dash cams have become pretty popular these days, Ansley.

For one thing, they can document an accident or road rage incident. Also, the ones with motion detection can show somebody messing with your car in a parking lot.

I sometimes use one for scenic cruises -- just for fun, really.
Well, I learn something (mostly) every day!!!!!

Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Well, I learn something (mostly) every day!!!!!
I actually don't know how widespread they are but I'm sort of a gadget nerd.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
https://www.wired.com/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

They're supposed to be prevalent in Russia to counter corrupt police.

I got a smartphone mount recently, to contribute footage from my iPhone to OpenStreetCam, since Google Street View hasn't driven by my neighborhood in a long time.

There's also an app called Payver where you can drive and get paid for recording.
https://www.wired.com/story/wanna-he...phones-camera/

I've honestly only used the smartphone mount once, maybe an incident will have my recording all the time eventually.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Volvo nearly puts me in the barrier, fortunately I was anticipating him and reacted before he hit me... Actually this is my second video of a left hand merge nearly gone horribly wrong on I-285.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psIAS_wVOw
OMG what a douchebag! I am so glad you had those instincts. Your experience most certainly isn't unique. A lot of people for some reason do not check their blind spot. Atlanta drivers (I experience this more when I drive in Atlanta) or people who drive in Atlanta also do not stay in their lanes. I don't know why but they are always coming into my lane and you'd think they'd quickly go back in theirs...

Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
OMG what a douchebag! I am so glad you had those instincts. Your experience most certainly isn't unique. A lot of people for some reason do not check their blind spot. Atlanta drivers (I experience this more when I drive in Atlanta) or people who drive in Atlanta also do not stay in their lanes. I don't know why but they are always coming into my lane and you'd think they'd quickly go back in theirs...

While not as crazy as Texas or California, I personally have found driving to have become a full time active job after the raised the speed limits. It is pretty much now like you can do whatever the heck you want out there on the highway. There's almost no enforcement and there's way too many people who don't need a license. You can pretty much do 75 - 80 MPH on I-285 and not even worry about looking for cops and since you're doing that I guess they figure may as well occupy themselves with youtube video, a good book or a movie or possibly online checkers while they're en-route.

Just too many people who don't take driving seriously.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 PM

108 posts, read 81,352 times
My car was totaled in a hit and run accident so I think dash cams are a good investment. I definitely plan on getting one for my next car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta