Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Disclaimer: No city is perfect... none. This isn't an attempt to bash Atlanta - there will always be some issues somewhere regardless of how well or how poorly we design any city - there's just some things that just stand out to me and continuously irritate me when I drive within the metro.

No trucks over 6 wheels Left 2 Lanes.

Not only is this law hardly enforced unless you're in Dekalb County (and lately not even there so much anymore), but certain parts of the metro don't exactly clarify it either. For example, on I-85 through Northeast Dekalb and most of Gwinnett, the sign says no trucks in left two lanes, and often would there be a Semi in the second before left lane (especially at night) -- the thing is, they don't exactly clarify if they consider the HOT lane as the far left lane, or if the lane just to the right of it is considered the far left GP lane.. which I personally believe they mean the far left GP lane, meaning the far 2 left GP lanes should be clear of trucks as obviously there should never be any tractor trailers in the HOT lane.
What about the ban of thru tractor trailers on freeways ITP?
===========================================

Quote:
Right turn on red.

So this is one thing that bugged me alot.

Frequently I would come up to a T - Intersection and there would be a Yield sign to turn right onto the street that dead ends onto the street you're turning from, which means the only possible traffic you could be yielding too would be traffic turning from the left coming from the oncoming lanes, however; according to state law... Left turn traffic must yield to ALL oncoming traffic, including traffic turning right.. rarely do I see this acknowledged, most people believe that right turns have to yield to traffic turning left into their lanes and left turners will take the opportunity to cut off traffic turning right which technically would cause an at-fault accident on part of the traffic turning left UNLESS they have a protected left turn arrow. This law is intended for all intersections and not just T-Intersections, even if the right turn lane is separated by a dividing island.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/B...ld%20signs.pdf

On page 24 here as well -
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...GADM-Final.pdf

Nothing states that right turners are required to yield to left turning traffic.

Typically..I did anyway, only to avoid a possible collision but it still irritated me to no end.
The only time left turn movements would not yield is on a green arrow.

Quote:
Incorrect signage on Interstates:

This sign: https://goo.gl/maps/VFY3MBPuYq92 has ALWAYS irritated me to no end! I've reported it and they state they see no issue.. Whats the issue? The mileage is wrong...

The sign states that the exit for I-575 is 1.75 miles away, truth is... in every vehicle I've driven.. the exit is only 1.25 miles from that point.. https://goo.gl/maps/Sh8oihgxTym that is a half of a mile difference..and if you didn't know the area and were in the left lane the sign leads you to believe you have alot more time than you really have to merge and exit.

Quote:
Windy Hill / Cobb Pkwy traffic light:

If this light doesn't just blatantly scream red light camera scam, I don't know what does... The green phase on Windy Hill is just WAY too short.. traffic would be backed up for miles and it will stay green for cross traffic for like 10 seconds and then try to grab some funds from frustrated drivers.
City of Marietta still operates red light cameras/

Quote:
Various traffic lights at night:

This happens all over the metro at select intersections. There wont be a soul not even a ghost waiting at the cross street and the light will not only turn red for no apparent reason..but also stay red for like 5 minutes to allow some dust and leaves to blow through the intersections.

To name a few:

Canton Hwy @ Church St just outside of Downtown Marietta.
Just about every light between Highpoint Rd and Scenic Hwy on U.S. 78.
Sugarloaf Pkwy @ Longmont drive and also Dunhill drive (both about half a mile away from Five Forks Trickum)

Wonky and dangerous left turn situations:

So it seems like when Georgia adopted those flashing left turn arrows (good idea) they decided to include the opportunity to confuse drivers into steering your vehicle into oncoming traffic by not giving certain intersections a green arrow EVEN WHEN THEY COULD (meaning left turning traffic from both sides at the same time would likely not cause a dangerous situation).

Sugarloaf Pkwy and Five Forks Trickum comes to mind. Traffic traveling eastbound on Sugarloaf Pkwy will get a flashing yellow turn arrow before eastbound traffic gets a green light. Traffic traveling westbound will get a green light at the same time left turners heading eastbound get the flashing arrow... this is normal.. the issue is there's a curve and a huge blind spot on Sugarloaf Pkwy making it impossible to see around, and sometimes Sugarloaf will go through an entire cycle without allowing eastbound traffic to have a protected left turn arrow and westbound traffic is typically very heavy.

----

See that left turn yield on green sign at this intersection?
https://goo.gl/maps/86rah5WuRoq
I'm the reason its there.

This one irritated me to no end - Traffic would frequently turn left onto Lawrenceville Suawanne Rd without yielding to the oncoming traffic exiting the subdivision making a collision highly possible. I contacted Gwinnett DOT and practically demanded they fix it. First they put up the sign, they confirmed they would later upgrade the signal...and they did.

Do you have any to add?
When passing a bicycle it is state law to give 3 ft of clearance. I will ride in the middle of a lane to ensure that drivers who want to pass have to cross the double yellow (it is my right as a cyclists to use the entire lane.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:03 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Something to add... the newer HAWK signals at pedestrian crossings.

GDOT/CoA put these up, they have a totally different signal phase than any other signal, and they provided no explanation to drivers. Total negligence by whoever is in charge of these. A pedestrian likely get seriously hurt or worse due to lack of explanation to drivers.
It makes sense if you think about. Treat it as a red signal.
When a red signal is flashing, how is it treated? As a stop sign.
When the red signal is solid, traffic must remain stopped until it starts flashing.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

The only time left turn movements would not yield is on a green arrow.

City of Marietta still operates red light cameras/

When passing a bicycle it is state law to give 3 ft of clearance. I will ride in the middle of a lane to ensure that drivers who want to pass have to cross the double yellow (it is my right as a cyclists to use the entire lane.)
To the bolded, no it isn't:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Code 40-6-294
(b) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when:
  • (1) Turning left;
  • (2) Avoiding hazards to safe cycling;
  • (3) The lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle;
  • (4) Traveling at the same speed as traffic;
  • (5) Exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; or
  • (6) There is a right turn only lane and the person operating the bicycle is not turning right;provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.
There's also this part from the same section:
Quote:
(d) Whenever a usable bicycle path has been provided adjacent to a roadway and designated for the exclusive use of bicycle riders, then the appropriate governing authority may require that bicycle riders use such bicycle path and not use those sections of the roadway so specified by such local governing authority. The governing authority may be petitioned to remove restrictions upon demonstration that the bicycle path has become inadequate due to capacity, maintenance, or other causes.
I know Dekalb county has such an ordinance, but of course >70% of the bikers, and >95% of the ones wearing their cute spandex are right in the road along the Stone Mountain trail down Church St and Ponce.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:37 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
You are incorrect (I'm pretty sure). If there is a raised island and a Yield sign, the person with the yield sign is technically at a separate intersection not controlled by the traffic signal, and must yield to all other traffic. It's in your DOT link. Two points confirm this:
If a yield sign is present, the driver that had the yield sign is at fault in an accident. This means that those at a Yield sign do not have right of way under any circumstance.
When a raised concrete island is present: a yield sign can be used. When a raised concrete island is not present: a yield sign should not be used because the driver is legally under the control of the traffic signal. Once you leave the main roadway and are at a separated lane controlled by a Yield sign, you are no longer part of the main intersection. You must Yield to all oncoming traffic, including left turners.

So many people do not understand this and believe they have right of way if they are at a Yield sign when someone else is at a stop sign. I do not believe this is true. I've almost been in several accidents at this intersection for a couple of reasons. First of all, the Stop signs are labeled "All Way", leading drivers to believe that all traffic has a stop sign and you follow the regular rules. But, the oncoming right turn lane has a separated Yield sign, and many of this people believe they don't have to slow down or stop for anything. That is false. If it were true, those turning left from the position of the image would almost never actually get to turn.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-4/40-6-71

Quote:
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 4 - RIGHT OF WAY
§ 40-6-71 - Vehicle turning left
O.C.G.A. 40-6-71 (2010)
40-6-71. Vehicle turning left

The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard.
Also in my original post, the first link it states that Georgia improperly uses the yield signs, even at the islands meaning the islands are still under control of the traffic light with the only de-limiter is if there is a keep moving sign. Reason I know this is because I know several who made a right turn on red at an islanded right turn / yield sign without coming to a complete stop (especially onto the Interstate onramps) and were pulled over and ticketed for running the red light.

For the left turners, it IS confusing I wont lie but per law left turners have to yield to all oncoming traffic. It wouldn't make sense to give them right of way over right turning traffic and not oncoming traffic. The only traffic right turners are required to yield for is cross traffic, or U turns from the cross street. If the light is green - right turners are considered oncoming to left turners thus left turners are to yield to them UNLESS they have a protected left turn arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Something to add... the newer HAWK signals at pedestrian crossings.

GDOT/CoA put these up, they have a totally different signal phase than any other signal, and they provided no explanation to drivers. Total negligence by whoever is in charge of these. A pedestrian likely get seriously hurt or worse due to lack of explanation to drivers.
I dont know how new or old they are to Georgia but they've been around for a decent while in other areas. Concept is pretty self explanatory, stop for pedestrians in crosswalk, and they typically have a sign reinforcing their purpose stating "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk when flashing" or something along those likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The badly timed lights here. My goodness. I waste so much time on Mountain Industrial and others lights in Dekalb.

What's up with the lights at the highways? Most of the time, their changes does not help traffic flow but impede it.
I forgot about Mountain Industrial. Between Memorial Drive and Wesley Chapel one day I decided to count how many stop lights there were...I think I counted 23... That is a very annoying road.

Quote:
These would annoy me too but they're far less prominent than those on I-285 taking up all the lanes. They used to enforce that law pretty heavily about no thru trucks through Downtown but I dont know if thats the case anymore. The other thing is, the law only applies if you're not making a local delivery ITP, meaning local deliveries can still legally use the ITP freeways...although they risk being pulled over, a cop will just ask them for their logs and if they see the delivery address is in Atlanta they let them go.

Quote:
I personally havent looked into much of the cyclist laws, I know have have every right to the road as an automobile, but I'd try to be courteous as automobile drivers tend to be impatient, especially ITP... One of the reasons I don't ride a bike in Atlanta is my fear of literally being run into a ditch.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-14-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 02:45 PM

63 posts, read 79,643 times
Quote:
Seems pretty unsafe to intentionally force a driver further into an oncoming lane. Am I missing something here...?

GA Code § 40-6-294 (2015)

(b) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when:

(1) Turning left;

(2) Avoiding hazards to safe cycling;

(3) The lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle;

(4) Traveling at the same speed as traffic;

(5) Exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; or

(6) There is a right turn only lane and the person operating the bicycle is not turning right;

provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:

I forgot about Mountain Industrial. Between Memorial Drive and Wesley Chapel one day I decided to count how many stop lights there were...I think I counted 23... That is a very annoying road.
Man, lights galore and they are all timed incorrectly. I can count on 1 figure how many times that I have gotten the light green at Memorial in the morning. Almost every morning I have to wait at that light. Same for over 78 in the morning.

Another reason that the traffic is so jammed in the morning and evening because the lights are so badly timed.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
In the time it took to post your annoyances on this thread about poorly timed lights...

you could reported the bad timings to the appropriate jurisdiction..

AND BECOME A HERO, SAVING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A FEW MINUTES EVERY DAY!

We all need to get involved because here, there's not much oversight of anything.

You can greatly make the world a better place by reporting poorly timed signals & dangerous potholes, etc.

I've gotten about 500 things fixed in the last 5-6 years, it's my community service contribution.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
In the time it took to post your annoyances on this thread about poorly timed lights...

you could reported the bad timings to the appropriate jurisdiction..

AND BECOME A HERO, SAVING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A FEW MINUTES EVERY DAY!

We all need to get involved because here, there's not much oversight of anything.

You can greatly make the world a better place by reporting poorly timed signals & dangerous potholes, etc.

I've gotten about 500 things fixed in the last 5-6 years, it's my community service contribution.
I've complained to GDOT so much that I think they just ignore my requests and emails now

Old 05-14-2018, 04:54 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-4/40-6-71

Also in my original post, the first link it states that Georgia improperly uses the yield signs, even at the islands meaning the islands are still under control of the traffic light with the only de-limiter is if there is a keep moving sign. Reason I know this is because I know several who made a right turn on red at an islanded right turn / yield sign without coming to a complete stop (especially onto the Interstate onramps) and were pulled over and ticketed for running the red light.

For the left turners, it IS confusing I wont lie but per law left turners have to yield to all oncoming traffic. It wouldn't make sense to give them right of way over right turning traffic and not oncoming traffic. The only traffic right turners are required to yield for is cross traffic, or U turns from the cross street. If the light is green - right turners are considered oncoming to left turners thus left turners are to yield to them UNLESS they have a protected left turn arrow.

I dont know how new or old they are to Georgia but they've been around for a decent while in other areas. Concept is pretty self explanatory, stop for pedestrians in crosswalk, and they typically have a sign reinforcing their purpose stating "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk when flashing" or something along those likes.

These would annoy me too but they're far less prominent than those on I-285 taking up all the lanes. They used to enforce that law pretty heavily about no thru trucks through Downtown but I dont know if thats the case anymore. The other thing is, the law only applies if you're not making a local delivery ITP, meaning local deliveries can still legally use the ITP freeways...although they risk being pulled over, a cop will just ask them for their logs and if they see the delivery address is in Atlanta they let them go.

I personally havent looked into much of the cyclist laws, I know have have every right to the road as an automobile, but I'd try to be courteous as automobile drivers tend to be impatient, especially ITP... One of the reasons I don't ride a bike in Atlanta is my fear of literally being run into a ditch.
Our metro isn't typical and we have an inordinate amount of congestion and subpar conditions to contend with...

Therefore, I feel that some leeway must be given to move traffic as best we can.

1) The yield sign for right turners in a right-turn only lane is OK in my opinion.
It made me think of Sidney Marcus at Buford Hwy Connector intersection.

2)The 18 wheelers using the freeways inside the perimeter is OK in my opinion because if rthe estriction was obeyed, I-285 would hardly move at all. It would be 90% trucks and hurt other drivers who depend on I-285 to get where they're going.

There are too few alternatives to our simple configuration of freeways joined by a single loop (dating back to the 1960s) to restrict tractor trailers from 60% of the roads we have available, in my opinion.

3) I was on I-285 top-end today at 2pm on a Monday, and traffic was so intense that I think even lane restrictions for 18 wheelers aren't plausible or something that should be enforced..

If all of the trucks stay to the right they form an impenetrable wall that average drivers can't maneuver around to the exits.

I do agree with the restriction as a good suggestion to move those in cars more safely and faster in left lanes.

Again, my opinion is that here in Atlanta you've to do allow people to do whatever it takes to get where they're going.

4) I witness people not treating intersections with flashing red signals as 4 way stops. I think people simply are that clueless, though I would ticket all of them.

5)I also would like a huge media campaign reminding people to move fender-bender collisions out of travel lanes on freeways and all streets if possible.

People act like a forensics team needs to come inspect the scene before anything can be moved.

This causes countless hours of delay for thousands of drivers every day.

BTW, I submitted 3 requests to ATL311 once I got home for 3 more unreadable green street signs hanging over intersections.

Last edited by architect77; 05-14-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Also, doesn't the flashing red (after a solid red) mean "stop, but you can proceed if no one else is crossing the street"?

I think it does, but most times people just sit there for an extra 5-10 seconds even though no one is crossing the street. Of course, this leads to more unnecessary congestion.
Yes, that's what it means. But your reaction is everyone else's. And what happens is one person follows this rule (stop and proceed), then a bunch of cars think they can go a speed right through the crosswalk. This happens EVERY TIME.

It is negligent to put up signals like this and expect our jerkwad drivers to figure out how to use it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta