Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
In the time it took to post your annoyances on this thread about poorly timed lights...

you could reported the bad timings to the appropriate jurisdiction..

AND BECOME A HERO, SAVING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE A FEW MINUTES EVERY DAY!

We all need to get involved because here, there's not much oversight of anything.

You can greatly make the world a better place by reporting poorly timed signals & dangerous potholes, etc.

I've gotten about 500 things fixed in the last 5-6 years, it's my community service contribution.
I appreciate your contribution.

And what I want to know is how to change this lack of oversight/auditing dynamic. Because this is not our job as citizens. We pay people to maintain the roads, this should include quality checks on main throughfares. The way Atlanta maintains their roads is infuriating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 05:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Mod Note: I combined your 3 "Pet Peeves" threads with your 1 "Rules Reminder" thread (all about the same topic) here.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-4/40-6-71

"The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard."

Also in my original post, the first link it states that Georgia improperly uses the yield signs, even at the islands meaning the islands are still under control of the traffic light with the only de-limiter is if there is a keep moving sign. Reason I know this is because I know several who made a right turn on red at an islanded right turn / yield sign without coming to a complete stop (especially onto the Interstate onramps) and were pulled over and ticketed for running the red light.
You need to reread your first link, which I assume is the DOT link. Their version of the yielded lane separated by an island follows exactly the US DOT Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. It also specifically states the following: "If there was a raised concrete island, you should not get a ticket, because you were technically at a separate intersection and under the control of the yield sign at that point, not under the control of the traffic signal." If you know people who were given a ticket for not stopping at a island-separated yield sign when no other cars were coming, they were incorrectly ticketed. Per the GA DOT link, the lane at an island-separated right turn lane is a separate intersection not controlled by the signal.

What this also means is that the person turning left does not have to give right of way to the person in the yield lane, because the yield lane is a separate intersection, not the signalized intersection.

Quote:
For the left turners, it IS confusing I wont lie but per law left turners have to yield to all oncoming traffic. It wouldn't make sense to give them right of way over right turning traffic and not oncoming traffic. The only traffic right turners are required to yield for is cross traffic, or U turns from the cross street. If the light is green - right turners are considered oncoming to left turners thus left turners are to yield to them UNLESS they have a protected left turn arrow.
You are incorrect. Please read the links you posted again. If you are in an island-separated lane, you are no longer in the main intersection, and you are now the last to have right of way. If your lane does NOT have an island, then you have the right of way.

Quote:
I personally havent looked into much of the cyclist laws, I know have have every right to the road as an automobile, but I'd try to be courteous as automobile drivers tend to be impatient, especially ITP... One of the reasons I don't ride a bike in Atlanta is my fear of literally being run into a ditch.
Looks like others have posted laws proving cq wrong on that one.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 PM

11,834 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
You need to reread your first link, which I assume is the DOT link. Their version of the yielded lane separated by an island follows exactly the US DOT Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. It also specifically states the following: "If there was a raised concrete island, you should not get a ticket, because you were technically at a separate intersection and under the control of the yield sign at that point, not under the control of the traffic signal." If you know people who were given a ticket for not stopping at a island-separated yield sign when no other cars were coming, they were incorrectly ticketed. Per the GA DOT link, the lane at an island-separated right turn lane is a separate intersection not controlled by the signal.

What this also means is that the person turning left does not have to give right of way to the person in the yield lane, because the yield lane is a separate intersection, not the signalized intersection.

You are incorrect. Please read the links you posted again. If you are in an island-separated lane, you are no longer in the main intersection, and you are now the last to have right of way. If your lane does NOT have an island, then you have the right of way.
Well, I asked a lawyer on this matter and he advised to me that there's no exceptions to the yielding left turn on green ball, or basically to the law I mentioned earlier:

Quote:
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard.
Note the bolded will include the presence of slip lanes with raised islands.

When it says all traffic, it means all traffic, including drivers turning right, even if they have a yield sign... The left turn by default has the implied yield...the right turning traffic yield is intended for cross traffic, not left turning vehicles as its implied yield to right of way, and right turning traffic has right of way over left turning traffic who must yield to ALL oncoming vehicles. He also noted that many left turns at signals even have this stated on a sign "Left turn yield on green ball" and its implied to ALL oncoming vehicles, including right turners which is also reinforced in the law I mentioned and likewise the link I mentioned (see bolded underlined):

Quote:
There are three Georgia Laws that come into play:
1. If you approach a traffic signal that is displaying red in your direction, and you yield at a
yield sign instead of stopping, you can be given a citation for running the red light. This
is the case even if you were in a right turn lane, and there was a striped island. If there
was a raised concrete island, you should not get a ticket, because you were technically
at a separate intersection and under the control of the yield sign at that point, not under
the control of the traffic signal.
2. Left turning vehicles must yield to all oncoming traffic, including those vehicles
approaching from the opposite direction in a right turn lane.

3. If a yield sign is present, the driver that had the yield sign is at fault in an accident
Regarding statement number 3, I asked if the island would make a difference. I was advised it wouldn't as the yield sign is applied to both parties, left turning traffic ALSO has a implied yield, and typically a yield turn on green sign which applies to all oncoming vehicles and right turning vehicles.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprial View Post
Seems pretty unsafe to intentionally force a driver further into an oncoming lane. Am I missing something here...?

GA Code § 40-6-294 (2015)

(b) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when:

(1) Turning left;

(2) Avoiding hazards to safe cycling;

(3) The lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle;

(4) Traveling at the same speed as traffic;

(5) Exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; or

(6) There is a right turn only lane and the person operating the bicycle is not turning right;

provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
To the bolded, no it isn't:
[/list]There's also this part from the same section:

I know Dekalb county has such an ordinance, but of course >70% of the bikers, and >95% of the ones wearing their cute spandex are right in the road along the Stone Mountain trail down Church St and Ponce.
Thank you for proving my point. I use the middle of the lane because it is too narrow to share with cars and forces them to give me 3' when passing. Of course do realize I am not riding any major commuter routes, but rather residential streets so I am averaging near the 25 mph speed limit.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Thank you for proving my point. I use the middle of the lane because it is too narrow to share with cars and forces them to give me 3' when passing. Of course do realize I am not riding any major commuter routes, but rather residential streets so I am averaging near the 25 mph speed limit.
Are these really narrow roads or something?

If they're a standard residential street then I don't think the law would apply. It's not within your jurisdiction to "force" cars to give you 3 Ft, thats within their jurisdiction, now whether they do it or not, thats on them. I typically try to avoid riding close to a bycicle for obvious reasons.. however if the road is a standard width residential street where as the only issue of which is causing the unsafe hazard is the DRIVER OF THE VEHICLE failing to move over, then you're still technically required to ride on the right otherwise you could just as well be causing the road to become unsafe to drivers (forcing them into oncoming lanes unnecessarily.)

Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Are these really narrow roads or something?

If they're a standard residential street then I don't think the law would apply. It's not within your jurisdiction to "force" cars to give you 3 Ft, thats within their jurisdiction, now whether they do it or not, thats on them. I typically try to avoid riding close to a bycicle for obvious reasons.. however if the road is a standard road where as the only issue of which is causing the unsafe hazard is the DRIVER OF THE VEHICLE failing to move over, then you're still technically required to ride on the right otherwise you could just as well be causing the road to become unsafe to drivers (forcing them into oncoming lanes unnecessarily.)
What's standard width? Intown the streets are narrower than Gwinnett Co, also many times there are on street parking so I am not riding in the door zone, which is obstacle/hazard and places me in the middle or just right of center lane.
Unsafe to drivers, who are protected by 2000lbs of vehicle.
Bicycles and pedestrians are to be expected on all intown surface streets. Want to drive fast, do it on the freeway otherwise respect the people (not cars) who live here. As a cyclists I know my rights, carry the Georgia Bicycle Pocket Guide with me anytime I ride, and have confirmed them with an attorney. I am trying to protect myself, excuse me if it delays you several seconds, but this is my life.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
What's standard width? Intown the streets are narrower than Gwinnett Co, also many times there are on street parking so I am not riding in the door zone, which is obstacle/hazard and places me in the middle or just right of center lane.
Unsafe to drivers, who are protected by 2000lbs of vehicle.
Bicycles and pedestrians are to be expected on all intown surface streets. Want to drive fast, do it on the freeway otherwise respect the people (not cars) who live here. As a cyclists I know my rights, carry the Georgia Bicycle Pocket Guide with me anytime I ride, and have confirmed them with an attorney. I am trying to protect myself, excuse me if it delays you several seconds, but this is my life.
Ah, well.. fair enough.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
Quote:
...so I am averaging near the 25 mph speed limit.
You must be a powerhouse on a finely tuned bike.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
You must be a powerhouse on a finely tuned bike.
Some of the bike riders I've seen around he metro actually do ride pretty fast. There have been times I've had difficulties passing bicycles in a Camaro.
On a serious note, I remember one day during rush hour I was by-passing traffic on I-285 by taking some backroads up just outside of Dunwoody. I think it was Dunwoody Club Dr and there was a Bicycle riding at about 30 - 35 MPH... was quite surprising...and difficult to pass on that street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta