Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
About to finally make that move. Of course, visiting and living in a place are totally different experiences. I know it's diverse but is it a place where different ethnicities come together and interact? No city is completely that way. Maybe out on the west West coast somewhere. But this is this south. Do you all believe ATL will satisfy that need to be around different cultures coming together?
It is diverse in the that many different kind of people live in the area. And you can meet people of different backgrounds though work or if you can find the right activities. But just going out and seeing people of different ethnicities living together and socializing, mostly no. It's increased some but not much that I could see.

What I mean is, the white areas in the city are very white, the black areas in the city are very black, and a great majority of the Asians in the metro live in the suburbs. Atlanta's most popular areas where people go out to drink/socialize are also the richest areas. Those neighborhoods are nearly 100% white.

Pretty much only white people who have money live in the city proper, and again the areas they mostly live in are nearly 100% white. And as with any other major city, the majority of the black neighborhoods are poor. The metro Atlanta area is a place with 6 million people but 98% of them live in the suburbs, and that's where you will find it's not mostly black and white. And then it's only certain suburbs (Gwinnett County) that are diverse where people live together.

There are Mexicans in the Buckhead and Sand Springs areas (and also along Buford Hwy) for example but they are immigrants who work at the restaurants, maintain the lawns, nanny, and clean for the rich white people.

Atlanta proper is segregated, with the north side of the city being mostly white, and the south side being mostly black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It is diverse in the that many different kind of people live in the area. And you can meet people of different backgrounds though work or if you can find the right activities. But just going out and seeing people of different ethnicities living together and socializing, mostly no. It's increased some but not much that I could see.

What I mean is, the white areas in the city are very white, the black areas in the city are very black, and a great majority of the Asians in the metro live in the suburbs. Atlanta's most popular areas where people go out to drink/socialize are also the richest areas. Those neighborhoods are nearly 100% white.

Pretty much only white people who have money live in the city proper, and again the areas they mostly live in are nearly 100% white. And as with any other major city, the majority of the black neighborhoods are poor. The metro Atlanta area is a place with 6 million people but 98% of them live in the suburbs, and that's where you will find it's not mostly black and white. And then it's only certain suburbs (Gwinnett County) that are diverse where people live together.

There are Mexicans in the Buckhead and Sand Springs areas (and also along Buford Hwy) for example but they are immigrants who work at the restaurants, maintain the lawns, nanny, and clean for the rich white people.

Atlanta proper is segregated, with the north side of the city being mostly white, and the south side being mostly black.
Not as segregated as Chicago. Chicago is the most segregated city in America with over 300 murders this year. Www.heyjackass.com

Btw every city in this country is "segregated" by race or class

Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
The city is somewhat diverse, but the suburbs are much more of a melting pot. I've lived all over the city and suburbs, and the only neighborhood I've ever lived in that had a noticeable element of multiculturalism was Tucker. Specifically the Brockett/Cooledge area. Every other place I've lived was either mosty white or a mix of black and white.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:

We're talking about the metro as a whole, not just the city. I could count the undiverse areas on one hand. (Forsyth, East Cobb, South DeKalb, South Fulton, which all slant 80 percent and up Black/White)

Old 06-24-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Not as segregated as Chicago. Chicago is the most segregated city in America with over 300 murders this year. Www.heyjackass.com

Btw every city in this country is "segregated" by race or class
This isn't the Chicago thread, Tony. This is the Atlanta thread. That is my point. Atlanta is no less segregated than any other city. If the original poster is looking for a diverse melting pot where everyone of all ethnicities are living together in large numbers in the same neighborhoods in Atlanta proper, he is not going to find that. Just like he won't find it in other cities.

I didn't say that Atlanta is more segregated. It is segregated though, along both color and economic lines, which is the case for most major American cities. Atlanta is no exception. Bringing up another city doesn't change the fact that Atlanta is segregated.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 06-24-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We're talking about the metro as a whole, not just the city. I could count the undiverse areas on one hand. (Forsyth, East Cobb, South DeKalb, South Fulton, which all slant 80 percent and up Black/White)
I also included the Metro in my post and stated that some suburbs of Atlanta are more integrated than the city itself. We also can't assume the OP needs or wants to live in the suburbs. He/she asked about Atlanta, not Forsyth County, Georgia.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
You can learn much from different cultures. I'm black so I already know everything about my own.
I'm white, but I completely agree with you. The move from MSP to ATL for me was not as culture shock as much as a widening of experience for me. I've also enjoyed working for a multinational ... so the folks I work with daily in places as diverse as Amman, Montreal, and Singapore have exposed me to many things.

The latter has little to do with Atlanta proper except for the fact that the company I work for has a large office here (and none in Minneapolis, sadly).

Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,423 times
Quote:

This is simply not true. Just BS most of what you said.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The city is somewhat diverse, but the suburbs are much more of a melting pot. I've lived all over the city and suburbs, and the only neighborhood I've ever lived in that had a noticeable element of multiculturalism was Tucker. Specifically the Brockett/Cooledge area. Every other place I've lived was either mosty white or a mix of black and white.
Question:What was the price range of these places you lived?Were they upper middle class?
Ever lived in Morrow?Forest Park?Very diverse but not wealthy

Old 06-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I also included the Metro in my post and stated that some suburbs of Atlanta are more integrated than the city itself. We also can't assume the OP needs or wants to live in the suburbs. He/she asked about Atlanta, not Forsyth County, Georgia.
You did not answer the OP question.You gave an answer that made it seem that what he was looking for was unattainable.
If every city in America are about the same then why give those answers as if Atlanta is worse.
He simply asked "will Atlanta satisfy his need for diversity."
Thats it.Nothing about how integrated it is or how mionany people live in the city versus the suburbs. A fact that most cities have much larger suburban populations than teh city core.So why mention it?

Everything you said in your statement suggested that Atlanta was worse.You are just changing you tune now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta