Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 02:43 PM

32,038 posts, read 36,923,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA has a requirement that affordable housing be included in all TOD projects, page 5
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...%202010(1).pdf
Thanks, cq. How would that work out in practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 3,499,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So, instead of trying to outright stop the TOD, or scale back its density, why aren't people calling for a simple pause? It'll take time for the developer to build out the TOD, and a bit longer to get people in it.

As DeKalb county said, any needed increases in capacity would be paid for by the developers, and I assume that that extends to other projects along the road. Perhaps y'all should be gathering the MARTA and the developers together, with the city and the community, and putting pressure on the county to get sewage upgrades online. That is, if y'all aren't already doing that.

Instead, what we're mostly seeing here in this thread, and in the comments on CoUrbanize, is that people are just trying to outright stop the project.
I am tired of saying this over and over. If anyone is trying to stop the project it has not been any organized effort to do so. Maybe a few people are bitching about it in social media but there is no group lobbying anyone to stop the Brookhaven TOD. Surveys show most residents support the idea overall. People are happy about the progress toward changes that Marta is making including the recent plan presented. And a lot of people are more frustrated at City of Brookhaven than Marta anyway.

And yes, citizens HAVE asked for a pause in development approvals for months now -- and as recently as a couple days ago the mayor announced a temporary moratorium (existing proposals are not part of it).

The reason I -- as you say "insist" -- that the sewage infrastructure is an issue of concern is because of first hand knowledge, not only photographs but also comments made to me personally by members of DeKalb County Watershed Dept in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (in regards to a different, much smaller SFH development, not the TOD.) I also heard with my own ears a Brookhaven engineering consultant say earlier this year that Brookhaven is "built out" in term of the sewer system capacity. Why would I make this up out of thin air? I actually want a TOD. I just agree with citizens that things are not being looked at closely and there are implications that can't be undone.

BTW In Q1 2014 there were over 4,000 apartment units under construction in Brookhaven & Buckhead combined, representing nearly HALF of Atlanta's intown apt development. The construction has been happening at a pace you cant understand unless you are here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...ood-thing.html

Since 2014 there have been hundreds more either broken ground or proposed.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:58 AM

364 posts, read 419,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I lived in a new "luxury" high rise that had this requirement due to tax bonds they got. It didn't really cause any noticeable difference to quality of life, college kids (who had to be living their on parent's money) were more destructive than anything. But the prices while more affordable than full price were still only affordable for probably middle class, affordable wasn't targeting higher income, also had income maximums to qualify (I think it was 80% of median income for the area.

It did give them a competitive advantage though because on apartment listing sites they could list with their cheapest units rates even though most won't qualify for them, gets them more eyes

Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 AM

32,038 posts, read 36,923,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I lived in a new "luxury" high rise that had this requirement due to tax bonds they got. It didn't really cause any noticeable difference to quality of life, college kids (who had to be living their on parent's money) were more destructive than anything. But the prices while more affordable than full price were still only affordable for probably middle class, affordable wasn't targeting higher income, also had income maximums to qualify (I think it was 80% of median income for the area.

It did give them a competitive advantage though because on apartment listing sites they could list with their cheapest units rates even though most won't qualify for them, gets them more eyes
Thanks, GeorgiaPeanuts.

How much would an affordable 1 or 2 BR go for in one of these new projects?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,711,967 times
Brookhaven mayor calls for moratorium on apartment complex rezonings

Quote:
Brookhaven Mayor John Ernst announced July 14 that he is seeking a moratorium on rezoning for high-density development projects, specifically apartment complexes.
Quote:
The moratorium would not affect current proposed developments, including those on Dresden Drive and the MARTA redevelopment, he said.

Developments that don’t require rezoning also are not affected by the moratorium.

The call for a moratorium comes after proposed mixed-use developments on Dresden Drive have brought out numerous residents living in the surrounding single-family homes neighborhoods to protest the high-density developments at community meetings.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 AM

1,054 posts, read 925,947 times
Tip of hat to the NIMBYs

Old 07-17-2016, 11:13 AM

23,566 posts, read 44,272,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Probably in disaster as usual. God, I despise social engineering, which is not and never was the role of government.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,948,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Probably in disaster as usual. God, I despise social engineering, which is not and never was the role of government.
The government does not have a role to make sure poverty is not concentrated?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:36 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,910,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The government does not have a role to make sure poverty is not concentrated?
Yes as it is usually (well intentioned but severely flawed) government policy that contributes the concentration of poverty. Like housing projects. A lot of times the best thing the government can do is less.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:36 AM

37,924 posts, read 42,172,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yet America has engaged in social engineering from the very beginning, even before it actually became a nation. It's in our very DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes as it is usually (well intentioned but severely flawed) government policy that contributes the concentration of poverty. Like housing projects. A lot of times the best thing the government can do is less.
Yeah but when the government (on all levels) has implemented a slew of policies that result in something like concentrated poverty, it can't simply relieve itself of the responsibility of at least attempting to fix the mess it created. But it's funny that only the attempted fix is labeled as social engineering.

I agree with LBJ in his commencement speech at Howard University in 1965:

"You do not wipe away the scars of centuries by saying: Now you are free to go where you want, and do as you desire, and choose the leaders you please.

You do not take a person who, for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say, 'you are free to compete with all the others,' and still justly believe that you have been completely fair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta