Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 32,391 times

Advertisements

Hi All.. Needed some advice for the admission process in the three elite private schools. Westminster, Pace and Lovett... I have submitted my application. Scheduled for open houses and group tours... On the process of scheduling my son for JATP...

I am applying for a non expansion year... Do we stand a chance? or is all the effort just a waste.. The authorities at lovett where more accommodating then west minister and pace...

Does anyone have any experiences in the last year? I have only 1 child so no siblings too...

Any advise will be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM

34 posts, read 62,172 times
What grade will your child be applying for?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:12 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
Your child can be the most awesome thing since sliced bread, but if they have no openings, he/she will not be accepted. Ask them how many openings they anticipate. If the answer is "none," you will need to broaden your search. Those are probably three of the schools in highest demand. I wouldn't put all my eggs in those baskets in a non-expansion year.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 AM

I was actually applying my son to Grade 1.. As he is Kindergarten right now... But I am having second thoughts whether to ask admissions if they can consider him for kindergarten.. He has a May end birthday... At westminister they were pretty clear that only if a student drops out they will consider us. But at Pace and Lovett they said that they do have some opennings for Garde 1 and they can consider.. They didnt say the exact number though...

What do you think Should I speak to admissions and say I am ready for Kindergarten too or should I wait to see how this pans out???

Pls Advice

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
If you're willing to consider K or 1, indicate such on your application. Your chances are obviously much better for K or Pre-1st (that's what Westminster and Pace call Kindergarten).

Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 AM

thank you so much... any tips for successful admission?

Update : Spoke to Pace they say if he is the age for Grade 1 then they cant consider him for kindergarten... As Sep 1 is the cut off and any kid before that would be considered for the appropriate grade...

I told them that the reason I am saying... Is that I really wanted my son in their school so I dont mind if I am confirmed a seat in either kindergarten or First.. However they are pretty sure that he needs to try only for Grade 1..

Westminster - Pre first he is.. As the entrance process.. Do u know that the kid should write a paragraph.. My sons not there....

Last edited by suseegirl; 10-11-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 01:51 PM

34 posts, read 62,172 times
We went through the private school admissions process for 1st grade last year. Based on space (as in none), we did not apply to Westminster or Pace. If you can apply to those as a pre-firster I would absolutely do that. We applied to Lovett and were waitlisted. From what I have heard (from Lovett parents, not admissions), there were two first grade spots for over 50 applicants and they both went to sibling/legacy.

We applied to several other schools and ended up at Trinity School and couldn't be happier. We will try admissions again at Westminster, Pace and Lovett during the 5th-6th grade expansion years (as Trinity ends at 6th).

Do you absolutely need to move your child from his current school? If so, I would definitely broaden your search and add other schools. There are many great ones in Atlanta and non-expansion years are hard.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Thanks buckheadmom.. Yes I am planning to move him this year rather than 5th as i was just thinking it will get tougher then... And i thought even if he needs to repeat a grade now is better than at 5th or 6th grade.. So the movement... The current school my son goes to is only till 5th grade...

At westminster he was clear that he had only 2 seats this year and as u rightly said they are considering siblings and very high intelligent students. He said as the admission procedure the child will have to read a paragraph and answer questions. I am sure my child can't do that. He is just reading small words, right now... He said that he already has 250 applications for pre first for a class of 70.....

At lovett and pace they are encouraging me to apply for Grade 1.. Again but they never confirmed on the seats. I live near these 3 schools, thats why I am applying here... I never knew this was such a big deal... would have tried last year too

How much did ur child get in the JATP? is that a core determing factor?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

50 posts, read 84,337 times
You know what your son is capable of doing. Depending on your JATP results you may want to widen the net but still apply to those schools. It is a little money, and a lot of time but you would probably regret not applying. The admissions committee can also give you realistic feedback. If you are waitlisted at least you know it is a numbers game. If not it may not be the right school for your son. We have a child that was waitlisted then admitted to Westminster.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,481 times
I have a kid at each Lovett and Westminster. Good luck! They are great schools and worth every bit of your time trying to get in. Not a waste at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta