Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I believe Washington DC has Atlanta beat on the raw numbers of the black gay and bisexual male population...
Not as flamboyant in Washington DC?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:29 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Not as flamboyant in Washington DC?
Most of the black gay and bisexual males in DC are generally professional types rather than flamboyant, but they are clearly there in large numbers. All one has to do is go to DC on Memorial Day weekend and see how large and well organized their black pride activities are to know how prominent the population is there.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:38 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,872 times
Classic post. This can apply to ANYONE moving to ATL. Male or female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You good. The male/female ratio is no different than any other city. Dating is no different here IMO. If you suck at dating where you are now it will probably be the same here. If you go out on dates often where you are now it will be the same here. I'm talking about moving from one city to another city. I'm not talking about people living in North Dakota then move to Atlanta. The ratio is basically even. I think its 51% women and 49% men. Once you take away the gays/lesbians, strippers, women selling sex online, the crazy people, etc it all balances out. Unless you are extremely unattractive you will have no problems. Hell I know of plenty of "unattractive" people who are married.

The only cities that have more men are generally on the east coast (San Fran/Seattle). I know of woman who have got engaged after 4 months of living here. She moved from Pittsburgh and on her second day here she was at Walmart and this guy hollered at her. She didn't want to initially because in her words "I just got here and haven't even finished packing" but she gave him her number anyways and 4 months later he proposed to her. If you want to date or get married do the following things....

- Go to events such has networking events, happy hours, etc, etc
- Join Meetup.com and go to those events. (Do a search for "ALL EVENTS" within a 30 mile radius of Atlanta)
- Dont sit at home because your girls can't go out with you
- Smile, look approachable
- Say hello and smile to a guy you might be interested in.
- Dont go out with your girls and only sit with your girls the entire night. If a guy is talking with you and your hater girlfriend pulls you away from him curse her out and go back and talk with him
- Join a singles group at your church
- Check out this site for nighttime events/etc. Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment – There is always something to do in the ATL
- Volunteer
- Join a professional networking group like the Urban League, Black MBA, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc
- If you see a guy you like go up to him and say "Excuse me, where is the blah blah blah. I just moved here. Just play dumb like you don't know where a certain places/etc is and he should get the hint and ask you for your number

If you do the following things you should have at least 10 guys calling you within the first 2 weeks. Thing is you gotta get outside your house. Sitting home all the time, only sitting at a table all night with your girls, not giving guys a chance, etc will decrease your chances of not finding someone. IMO Atlanta is the best place to date especially if you are a woman if you get out the house and go to events. Dudes are going to holla. You dont even have to be model. Dudes are going to holla.

BTW don't move to TX. Dallas and Houston are wack if you are young. The only people that hype it up are people that havent lived in Atlanta.

Atlanta has better nightlife. Our nightlife stays open later. TX clubs close at 2am ours close at 3am or later depending on where you go. Our nightlife has way more options once you figure out where to go
More festivals
More concerts. We have more concerts and we have the surprise guest element since so many artist live here
More black people. We have more upper class, middle upper class, middle class, the jill scott tea drinking blacks, the black nerds, the black hippies, etc, etc.
Less taxes - TX doesnt have state taxes but they get there money from having more toll roads and higher city and property taxes
No toll roads - none (some idiot will say a hot lane is a toll road but it isnt)
Less natural disaster threats - We mostly only have to worry about trees falling down for the most part. Houston you have hurricane and hail threats. Dallas has more tornadoes and hail

Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 PM

332 posts, read 344,558 times
I agree. fieldm, that is an excellent post bro. Somebody should sticky it for all young (black) people, period.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM

38 posts, read 54,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Nobody will put a gun to your head forcing you to go. I dont like shopping so i choose not to go to malls. Great news for you is nobody has put a gun to my head and forced me to shopping out of all the years i have lived here!! Congratulations!!!!

Guess what? I dont like being around homeless people, crackhead and thugs so I choose not to go around them!! Wow. Im so smart
Nobody said that anyone would put to a gun to my head and do anything. Everyone knows the culture in Atlanta and the types of men that are down there. I watch videos all the time of women talking about how the men down there are like, well...you.

Cute sarcasm though. Maybe you'll do better next time? Omg did you see that? I was just sarcastic just now. Wow, I'm so smart.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
It's not hard to not go to a strip club.
It's not a matter of not going to a strip club. Most guys down there DO. That's the point, and it's a very simple one.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 PM

29 posts, read 34,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwoman2 View Post
I'm interested in moving south for the weather, friendly people and different lifestyle and creative opportunities. I was born and raised in the south but when I was a teen I moved to MA with my family. I currently live in MA. I'm a 26-year-old female and I work fulltime at a university but my passion is the arts. I love making films, writing and I love music. I love black culture and being around black people (as well as whites though). I just love diversity, friendly, extroverted people, and a buzzing town and nightlife. I'm single and so one day I want to get married, and thats why I am unsure about moving to Atlanta because I've heard some horrible things about the dating life there, and if I'm going to live somewhere I want the culture to match my long-term goals. I think it's important to say (at the risk of being non-PC), I am a heterosexual woman and I've heard nightmare stories from black women trying to date in the ATL. Im sure its an amazing vacation spot and I cannot wait to visit in 2017. Other than the snakes, spiders and dating life, it sounds perfect for me. I just wish the dating part matched. Finding love eventually is very important to me.

I'm really considering picking up and moving to the south in a couple years (whether it be Texas or Atlanta). I'm not interested in living in LA. I'm scared to be away from my family and the familiar, but I dont feel like I belong up here in MA. I'm not happy with the culture, most of the people here, or my surroundings. I also feel like I reached a ceiling as far my creative potential goes and I know there are tons of opportunities in ATL. I feel stuck.

Has anyone ever picked up and moved to this city when they didn't know anyone? How is it living in Georgia as a black person? Is it a good town for single black people (particularly black women)? If youre a black woman, have you found love in ATL? I just have so many questions and I'm ready to try something new. If you could give me your honest unbiased opinion based on your personal experience, it would be much appreciated.
Well, as a single 30 year old black professional female, my experience dating in Atlanta hasn't been that great. Actually pretty non-existent. I agree that I probably should do more meet ups as other posters have suggested, but the one I attended when I moved back to Atlanta last year was horrible. The meet up was for singles, and half the people that showed up were in relationships or knew each other from other meet ups and kept to themselves. I think it can be challenging dating anywhere though...not just Atlanta. I definitely wouldn't let that deter you from considering a move to Atlanta. Your experience may be different.

P.S. If anyone knows any single guys, please forward them my contact information LOL

Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Quote:
Nobody said that anyone would put to a gun to my head and do anything. Everyone knows the culture in Atlanta and the types of men that are down there. I watch videos all the time of women talking about how the men down there are like, well...you.
Atlanta men are no better or worse than any other men in the country.

If anything we are much easier to trick into marriage than anywhere else in the U.S.A. given the lousy southern education system.

I've been in conversations with female dating refugees from California who move to the east coast because they weren't much of a fit with the dating market. From what I gleaned a woman considered a 7-10 here in Atlanta is easily knocked down at least 3 points in Los Angeles alone.

Most regions outside of the American south are simply not a good fit socially for a woman of a certain ethnicity.

The south to southeast region of the United States all-in-all...is the BEST to get married, this being the Bible belt and all.

People need to stop getting taken by emotions and innuendos...and simply look at the facts and realities for what they are.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Atlanta men are no better or worse than any other men in the country.

If anything we are much easier to trick into marriage than anywhere else in the U.S.A. given the lousy southern education system.

I've been in conversations with female dating refugees from California who move to the east coast because they weren't much of a fit with the dating market. From what I gleaned a woman considered a 7-10 here in Atlanta is easily knocked down at least 3 points in Los Angeles alone.

Most regions outside of the American south are simply not a good fit socially for a woman of a certain ethnicity.

The south to southeast region of the United States all-in-all...is the BEST to get married, this being the Bible belt and all.

People need to stop getting taken by emotions and innuendos...and simply look at the facts and realities for what they are.
I dont think anyone is emotional. I think we all believe we are speaking facts.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of not going to a strip club. Most guys down there DO. That's the point, and it's a very simple one.
Most guys dont. Guys go but its generally the same guys. Its normally a mixture of local men and women and tourist.

Its over 3 million guys in Atlanta. Lets say 2.1 million of those men are over 18. Its say its 30 strip clubs in Atlanta that fits 200 men. That's 6000 men in the strip clubs out of 2.1 million local men. Most people would assume what you said is true but if you look at it statically its impossible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta