Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:08 PM

254 posts, read 191,858 times

Advertisements

When visiting the city, I found Atlanta to be very similar to Dallas. Looking at a map of the city, I noticed the name of Peachtree all over the place. It is the same with the name of Preston in Dallas with Preston Road called the golden retail corridor.

Does Atlanta have any remnants of a garment industry remaining? What is the home grown luxury stores, department stores, and boutiques of Atlanta similar to Neiman Marcus of Dallas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
When it comes to high-end and higher-end retail options, I guess that one could say that Peachtree in Atlanta might have some similarities to what you might say that Preston Road is to Dallas.

Only Peachtree seems to be a more high-profile address in Atlanta than Preston Road seems to be in Dallas.

The commercial development patterns seem to be more intense along Peachtree, particularly through the Intown areas of Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead (Atlanta's Uptown district).

The retail development patterns are particularly intense along Peachtree through Buckhead and even into neighboring Brookhaven.

Peachtree itself is a fairly urban street that basically only runs through urban districts in the heart of the city while Preston Road seems to be a much longer street that runs from inner-suburban North Dallas out into exurban North Dallas and beyond.

Peachtree is to Atlanta what Wilshire Boulevard is to Los Angeles. As other posters have described it, Atlanta is basically a linear city that has grown up around and along Peachtree which runs through the areas of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Brookhaven and Chamblee (...Peachtree runs through the Chamblee area as "Peachtree Boulevard" (formerly "Peachtree Industrial Boulevard")).

Preston Road may be a high-profile address for retail in Dallas, but a better comparison for Dallas' Preston Road in Atlanta might be Georgia State Route 9 (GA 9) because of that road's geographical similarities to Dallas' Preston Road as a surface street/road that runs through Atlanta's Northside inner-suburban, suburban, outer-suburban and exurban areas in a way that is very similar to how Preston Road runs through Dallas' Northside inner-suburban, suburban and exurban areas.

Georgia State Route 9 (Roswell Road through North Atlanta and Sandy Springs) offshoots from Peachtree in Buckhead and runs roughly due north out of the city through the mostly affluent areas of North Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta and Milton.

Better yet, an even better comparison for Dallas' Preston Road's status as a "golden retail corridor" might be Georgia State Route 400. Even though it is a freeway that compares favorably to the Dallas North Tollway through the Northside of Dallas, much of the entirety of the Georgia 400 corridor has attracted much high-end and higher-end retail development through the Buckhead, Perimeter, Alpharetta/Milton, Cumming and Dawsonville areas.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:05 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
When visiting the city, I found Atlanta to be very similar to Dallas. Looking at a map of the city, I noticed the name of Peachtree all over the place. It is the same with the name of Preston in Dallas with Preston Road called the golden retail corridor.

Does Atlanta have any remnants of a garment industry remaining? What is the home grown luxury stores, department stores, and boutiques of Atlanta similar to Neiman Marcus of Dallas?

Thanks.
A large part of our home grown retail brand no longer exists in name, but it's reminiscence still remain.

It was Rich's department store, which was more expansive and a little bit more middle class/upper middle class than neiman marcus.

It covered a large part of the Southeastern US and had a solid lock on Atlanta. It was eventually bought out and put under the Macy's umbrella. The Rich's name was kept for awhile and eventually retired in 2005. Atlanta remained as headquarters for the Macy's southeastern and then later the midwestern division of all Macy's stores.

After all this they eventually closed the downtown flagship store that was on Peacthree. Nowadays the flagship Macy's Atlanta store is in Lenox, which is still on Peacthree just further north in Buckhead.

Peachtree St is not exactly well compared to Preston Rd.

It would be much better compared to a very sunbelt city version of Broadway in New York. It was an old Indian path that starts at the very center of our downtown and travels north/northeast through the region among the corridor that has carried the most wealth, most job growth, and people. It was the original path in the area that carried much of the affluence and commerce right out of the center of Downtown. Many businesses and skyscrapers go out of their way to carry some type of "Peachtree" in their address.

Preston can draw some small parallels. I see where you were going with this, but it isn't quite the same by a long shot. There is much more on and to Peacthree St beyond affluent retail in Atlanta that gives its name a huge importance in our region.

Imagine if Dallas has a street that was similar to Main Street in Downtown Dallas and continued north and connected 3 major central business districts along the way. In between residential highrises dot the road to carry the Peacthree St address and then it continues further north into an affluent, but also industrious backbone of the suburbs leaving town.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
A large part of our home grown retail brand no longer exists in name, but it's reminiscence still remain.

It was Rich's department store, which was more expansive and a little bit more middle class/upper middle class than neiman marcus.

It covered a large part of the Southeastern US and had a solid lock on Atlanta. It was eventually bought out and put under the Macy's umbrella. The Rich's name was kept for awhile and eventually retired in 2005. Atlanta remained as headquarters for the Macy's southeastern and then later the midwestern division of all Macy's stores.

After all this they eventually closed the downtown flagship store that was on Peacthree. Nowadays the flagship Macy's Atlanta store is in Lenox, which is still on Peacthree just further north in Buckhead.

Peachtree St is not exactly well compared to Preston Rd.

It would be much better compared to a very sunbelt city version of Broadway in New York. It was an old Indian path that starts at the very center of our downtown and travels north/northeast through the region among the corridor that has carried the most wealth, most job growth, and people. It was the original path in the area that carried much of the affluence and commerce right out of the center of Downtown. Many businesses and skyscrapers go out of their way to carry some type of "Peachtree" in their address.

Preston can draw some small parallels. I see where you were going with this, but it isn't quite the same by a long shot. There is much more on and to Peacthree St beyond affluent retail in Atlanta that gives its name a huge importance in our region.

Imagine if Dallas has a street that was similar to Main Street in Downtown Dallas and continued north and connected 3 major central business districts along the way. In between residential highrises dot the road to carry the Peacthree St address and then it continues further north into an affluent, but also industrious backbone of the suburbs leaving town.
I think Preston Road is being under appreciated here. Highland Park Village, The Miracle Mile Shopping district and Preston Center are built on top of each other from south to north. Try to imagine five miles north of Preston Center where six luxury department stores had once anchored three malls and a shopping center built in close proximity to each other.

All those luxury department stores have either since been demolished or relocated away. A large part of that area of North Dallas is now under redevelopment anchored by the surviving Galleria Dallas,

These six got out competed by the Dallas homegrown luxury in central Dallas.

Both Prestonwood Town Center and Valley View Malls in this area have been demolished or are now in the process of being so respectively. Sakowitz Village has since been redeveloped as well into moderate and discount retail as is the case with Prestonwood Town Center.

Five miles further north, Nieman Marcus and Lord & Taylor relocated from North Dallas to a mall now called The Shops at Willow Bend. It too got obliterated by the traditional home grown retail based in central Dallas. Its only surviving luxury retail is Neiman Marcus.

I should point out the relationship between North Dallas Parkway and Preston Road. The area between these two parallel corridors of about 26 square miles can be likened to the Manhattan Island of North Texas. Meanwhile, Lemmon Avenue benefits as a luxury vehicle mecca because of how it connects close-in Love Field with Central Dallas. Then Central Expressway itself is about five miles of luxury and high end retail from downtown Dallas towards the north topped off by NorthPark Center.

Don't get me wrong here. Pound for pound, I consider both Atlanta and Dallas sister cities when it comes to retail along with many other attributes. They along with Chicago are extensions of each other.

I think a big factor in the difference between them is the original layout of Atlanta with it being a city of the original thirteen colonies.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:25 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
No,

I'm sorry. It really isn't and you don't get it because Dallas doesn't have a single street that does everything in a way Peacthree St does for Atlanta.

You're stuck only focusing on Retail developments and your not focusing on what Preston Rd. doesn't do.

Like I said, I understand the relationships your conveying. They aren't non-existent, but the things that Peacthree does that preston doesn't are huge for us.

It runs through the middle of 3 major central business districts and has a string of high end high rises along it. Large office developments frequently go out of their way to be on a street named 'Peacthree' instead of a couple blocks away.

It was the original pre-existing path our city really built its foundations off of. That is why I am drawing attention to parrallels with Broadway, even though we are smaller city than NYC and we are still very, very Sunbelt-ish. Locally, that is what Peacthree is to us.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
No,

I'm sorry. It really isn't and you don't get it because Dallas doesn't have a single street that does everything in a way Peacthree St does for Atlanta.

You're stuck only focusing on Retail developments and your not focusing on what Preston Rd. doesn't do.

Like I said, I understand the relationships your conveying. They aren't non-existent, but the things that Peacthree does that preston doesn't are huge for us.

It runs through the middle of 3 major central business districts and has a string of high end high rises along it. Large office developments frequently go out of their way to be on a street named 'Peacthree' instead of a couple blocks away.

It was the original pre-existing path our city really built its foundations off of. That is why I am drawing attention to parrallels with Broadway, even though we are smaller city than NYC and we are still very, very Sunbelt-ish. Locally, that is what Peacthree is to us.
Preston is just different.

Peachtree is kind of like Preston, Central Expressway and Greenville put together.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No,

Okay, I agree. In Dallas and North Texas, office space tends to develop around anchors of retail and not the other way around. An example would be the city of Southlake northwest of DFW which has constructed its downtown surrounded by a small mecca of retail. It announced recently a plan to build its first office building. Dallas has an amazing amount of horizontal prime real estate which surrounds the ample amounts of legacy retail developed in the area. There is a rich tradition in Dallas to compete in building the next monument to retail.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Preston is just different.

Peachtree is kind of like Preston, Central Expressway and Greenville put together.
What about the Dallas Parkway? It has Inwood Village, Preston Center, the Galleria Dallas, and the Shops at Willow Bend built along it. See, I'm just considering the retail based along the corridors and not the towers. Outside International luxury has yet to defeat the homegrown luxury in Dallas. That is a major difference between Dallas and Houston. Houston doesn't have much local luxury to compete. I am certain that Atlanta, like Dallas, also has ample amounts of quality local retail stores and boutiques that get little to no international attention.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Peachtree Street is one of the most recognized street names in the U.S. I've been to Dallas several times and don't really remember Preston Road...it may be a great, memorable street and the main retail street in Dallas but I just didn't venture there. I'm not much of a shopper so...

Davison's was also a home grown Atlanta retailer than was bought out and retired by Macy's. Rich's and Davison's were Atlanta's department stores until Macy's had to ruin them. As far as luxury retail most of it is in Buckhead in Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza or Buckhead Atlanta - all on Peachtree Street.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Peachtree Street is one of the most recognized street names in the U.S. I've been to Dallas several times and don't really remember Preston Road...it may be a great, memorable street and the main retail street in Dallas but I just didn't venture there. I'm not much of a shopper so...

Davison's was also a home grown Atlanta retailer than was bought out and retired by Macy's. Rich's and Davison's were Atlanta's department stores until Macy's had to ruin them. As far as luxury retail most of it is in Buckhead in Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza or Buckhead Atlanta - all on Peachtree Street.
Atlanta also had several smaller high-end luxury department stores with flagship downtown stores and multiple mall locations that all closed sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. Among these were Muse's (now lofts), JP Allen (now Hard Rock) and Regenstein's (now Hooter's). There were probably others.

For what it's worth, the flagship downtown Rich's store was always a dump to me. But the Davison's store on Peachtree was breathtaking -- that soaring main floor with the giant pink columns, crystal chandeliers and balcony mezzanine! Oh what a thrill that place was!

52 Peachtree Street

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/pch215.htm

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/hooters1.htm

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...tlanta-41.html

Last edited by Newsboy; 12-30-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta