Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 PM

299 posts, read 273,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Fair enough...

But don't discount that a down side exists. East Point, College Park, and Hapeville were also targeted as spots for gentrification that offered proximity to the city and affordable real estate just a few years ago. But most people who took that risk and made investments there aren't happy yet.

It's always a risk. For every winner, there's a loser. So more than anything....trust your gut.
Good points. A buddy and myself were in home markets in 2006 at the height of the real estate prices. We were both single. We were priced out of spots like Grant Park and East ATL. I was checking out homes in South of Grant park near the State pen. He ended up buying a house in East Point. Fast forward 10 years and he is still in EP and really likes it. He wanted to move after the housing bust but was stuck; but it ended up working out for him. I bought a home in Mableton and I like it. I think as much as anything I want a home that will appreciate in value. A lot of the EP and South Cobb stagnation are linked to the terrible reputation of the schools. The upside to both spots is they are pretty safe. We are also looking at Capitol view area. The question is can I get out from under water here before Capitol View gets over-priced. Still I'm really glad I didn't buy in the area south of Grant Park. Looking at home values now they are still half of pre-housing crisis values and talking to some people who did move there it has terrible crime issues.

Last edited by hilltop180; 05-08-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 553 times
Hi! Did you end up moving to capitol view? My husband and I fell in love with a home there and like you, question the safety and risk of jumping in an up and coming neighborhood. I’m due in October but we really think this could be a great buy, just want something safe. We live in midtown / Ansley Mall area and have had car break ins, so it’s expected in the city. Just curious how you feel about the neighborhood in general and if it feels secluded with a lot of vacant buildings. If you moved there, do you love the area? Thanks in advance!
Katie

Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,860,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khilgendorf View Post
Hi! Did you end up moving to capitol view? My husband and I fell in love with a home there and like you, question the safety and risk of jumping in an up and coming neighborhood. I’m due in October but we really think this could be a great buy, just want something safe. We live in midtown / Ansley Mall area and have had car break ins, so it’s expected in the city. Just curious how you feel about the neighborhood in general and if it feels secluded with a lot of vacant buildings. If you moved there, do you love the area? Thanks in advance!
Katie
I don’t live in CV, but I know several recent residents. If you found a house that you love there, I think it’s definitely a good move. There are likely more low-income minorities around than in Midtown/Ansley Mall. But along with the rest of NPU-X, it’s generally safe and definitely on the come up.

My advice would be to join this group and ask all the questions you desire: https://www.facebook.com/groups/capitolview/?ref=share

When they ask for your address to join, just tell them that you are interested in purchasing the house at whatever the address is and that you had some questions for some current residents. I’m sure they would gladly welcome you and address your concerns.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:04 PM

184 posts, read 206,156 times
Where do people buying in places like Capitol View send their kids to school?? I know not the local publics.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:18 PM

104 posts, read 61,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Where do people buying in places like Capitol View send their kids to school?? I know not the local publics.
You send them to the local publics where they befriend children of all races and socioeconomic classes, and then even though they aren't at Pace Academy, you still sit down and read to them nightly, work on homework with them, be involved in their projects/book reports and they still end up getting 1400+ SAT scores and full tuition scholarships to Georgia Tech and UGA, and then graduate with a bachelors and earn 6 figures out of college which sets them up well to start their own family and have an impact on our world. Pretty easy life map.

Capitol View is a great neighborhood and Perk is great. Statistics I've seen from APD seem to indicate it still is having some burglary issues, but the area is absolutely about to blow up. I'm curious to see what Metropolitan turns into. The commercial zoned properties will be too valuable to stay convenience stores. Southside Trail construction starting by October. Capitol View is one of the few neighborhoods in Southwest that I don't think have gotten overinflated price-wise...still some great brand new reno starter homes available in the mid 200s. I looked at 1365 Beatie Ave SW a little over a month ago when they had an open house. Beautiful house with enormous ceilings but didn't love the small kitchen and it needed all appliances. Looks like it went under contract shortly after that.

Last edited by ATLUTD; 07-28-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM

184 posts, read 206,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
You send them to the local publics where they befriend children of all races and socioeconomic classes, and then even though they aren't at Pace Academy, you still sit down and read to them nightly, work on homework with them, be involved in their projects/book reports and they still end up getting 1400+ SAT scores and full tuition scholarships to Georgia Tech and UGA, and then graduate with a bachelors and earn 6 figures out of college which sets them up well to start their own family and have an impact on our world. Pretty easy life map.

I guess in an ideal world, but it usually doesn't happen like that. High income parents have no incentive to send their kids to bad schools., even if it would benefit the poorer kids.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I guess in an ideal world, but it usually doesn't happen like that. High income parents have no incentive to send their kids to bad schools., even if it would benefit the poorer kids.
I mean I wouldn't send my kids to "bad schools" to benefit the poorer kids. I would send them to the "bad school" because they will still be just as good at Algebra I there as they would at an expensive private school and I would find the interactions they'd get at the public school to be valuable to their growth. I was not afforded the ability to interact or befriend a single child that looked different from me as a kid (my town was 96% white - one nice thing was that I grew up where suburbia hits rural America so all of us on the north side of town grew up comfortably wealthy and went to school daily with children from very much working class families -- the impression it left on me was not lost. Some of my friends lived in borderline condemned homes. Growing up in this type of town has very much informed my world view and values).

I don't want kids but would very much like them to get that experience that I wasn't able to have growing up.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:45 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,949,103 times
Quote:

Capitol View is a great neighborhood and Perk is great. Statistics I've seen from APD seem to indicate it still is having some burglary issues, but the area is absolutely about to blow up. I'm curious to see what Metropolitan turns into. The commercial zoned properties will be too valuable to stay convenience stores. Southside Trail construction starting by October. Capitol View is one of the few neighborhoods in Southwest that I don't think have gotten overinflated price-wise...still some great brand new reno starter homes available in the mid 200s. I looked at 1365 Beatie Ave SW a little over a month ago when they had an open house. Beautiful house with enormous ceilings but didn't love the small kitchen and it needed all appliances. Looks like it went under contract shortly after that.
Sounds like homeschooling!

Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sounds like homeschooling!
How is sending your kid to school from 8-4 and then being involved in their schoolwork/asking them what they learned at dinner/etc homeschooling? That's called raising children, yes. My parents did that for me and my siblings and it was never considered homeschooling. If your parents weren't that involved in your education, I non-condescendingly feel sorry for you. Every child should have their parents take interest in their education -- it dictates your entire life.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,949,103 times
Quote:
How is sending your kid to school from 8-4 and then being involved in their schoolwork/asking them what they learned at dinner/etc homeschooling? That's called raising children, yes. My parents did that for me and my siblings and it was never considered homeschooling. If your parents weren't that involved in your education, I non-condescendingly feel sorry for you. Every child should have their parents take interest in their education -- it dictates your entire life.
You have to supplement at home because there aren’t enough kids at their level in the school you chose. And there is a serious risk of boredom in school if they are really bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta