Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Education in what CQ, what is it the people need to be "educated" on? What subject or academic are you referring to? Math? Science? Social Studies? What is this "education" you are talking about the victims being priced out need?
I am referring to public school education. It is no secret that many schools in lower income areas struggle to educate their kids, which in turn only hurts the kids chances of becoming successful in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
If a store doesn't want to go in a certain area that is their business. They do market research and studies before they open. As to why nothing else opened up it sounds like they didn't think it would be in their best interest for whatever reason(s)?

Demanding Store XYZ open in your neighborhood is not normal. That is the part I was questioning. I don't care where you live.
I've been in business for myself going on almost 10 years now, you can save the microeconomics lesson my dude, I damn sure ain't Warren Buffett, but at this point I think I have a decent grasp of what drives the economy. And to say that race plays no factor now and has never played a factor down thru history is disingenuous. I shoulder the blame for my people in the areas we need to improve, I'm very self aware. But at the same time let's not act like it's a level playing field out here. Myself and my circle of people are doing fine but all is not well until all of my community is doing good.

And that's cool, wouldn't expect you to care where I lay my head nor did I mention where I lay my head, just save the brolic keyboard stuff for the real world patna. Don't talk out your neck and say something on here that you wouldn't say if we just happened to cross paths in person.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am referring to public school education. It is no secret that many schools in lower income areas struggle to educate their kids, which in turn only hurts the kids chances of becoming successful in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yeah, it get's better though, watch the trailer below.

They claim there's some sort of ethnic cleansing in play as if no one else but white people have the ability to get an education, make a decent buck and live in the city. Just a bunch of fear mongering and divisive rhetoric that's unfortunately so common today.

Gentrified Homepage

https://youtu.be/TtQzw5CEGME
Ok so CQ you are saying blacks cant afford taxes because K-12 is bad for them. Flammadiddle says Blacks cant get an education and make a decent buck. What does K-12 have to do with "making a decent buck". Lets assume he saying many black kids dont go to college so that they can "earn a decent buck" How is what he said related to what you said. You blame bad primary eduction, Flammadiddle may be blaming lack of college education. Its seems with certain races just going to college is enough to "earn a decent buck", sadly that is just not the case with many black college grads. Do you agree or nah CQ?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
Quote:
Ok so CQ you are saying blacks cant afford taxes because K-12 is bad for them. Flammadiddle says Blacks cant get an education and make a decent buck. What does K-12 have to do with "making a decent buck". Lets assume he saying many black kids dont go to college so that they can "earn a decent buck" How is what he said related to what you said. You blame bad primary eduction, Flammadiddle may be blaming lack of college education. Its seems with certain races just going to college is enough to "earn a decent buck", sadly that is just not the case with many black college grads. Do you agree or nah CQ?

Did you happen to pay any attention to what was going on in the APS cheating trial? That is one reason to support his education comment. You had a situation where black administrators and black teachers put financial gain over educating a populace of mostly black and other minority children. That is sick. The testimony from the children who took the stand was awful. The things the teachers were saying and doing were inexcusable. These are kids who are supposed to be the future of the city and you have teachers who don't give a crap not educating these children and cheating to make a few extra bucks. So yes K-12 does make a difference. How are these kids supposed to get into college after going through a school system like that? Tell me.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I've been in business for myself going on almost 10 years now, you can save the microeconomics lesson my dude, I damn sure ain't Warren Buffett, but at this point I think I have a decent grasp of what drives the economy. And to say that race plays no factor now and has never played a factor down thru history is disingenuous. I shoulder the blame for my people in the areas we need to improve, I'm very self aware. But at the same time let's not act like it's a level playing field out here. Myself and my circle of people are doing fine but all is not well until all of my community is doing good.

And that's cool, wouldn't expect you to care where I lay my head nor did I mention where I lay my head, just save the brolic keyboard stuff for the real world patna. Don't talk out your neck and say something on here that you wouldn't say if we just happened to cross paths in person.

So if Publix doesn't open a store in my city/town they are racist? What I am asking is how does one go about demanding a certain retailer come to my city/town? And if they don't? It isn't as easy as saying neighborhood xyz deserves a Publix so they better come and if they don't then they are racist. I want an In n Out burger. Should I call Andy Young so he can demand one? This is free enterprise business. They only come if it makes dollars and cents to them. There are a lot of nice areas in Georgia that don't have a Publix.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Did you happen to pay any attention to what was going on in the APS cheating trial? That is one reason to support his education comment. You had a situation where black administrators and black teachers put financial gain over educating a populace of mostly black and other minority children. That is sick. The testimony from the children who took the stand was awful. The things the teachers were saying and doing were inexcusable. These are kids who are supposed to be the future of the city and you have teachers who don't give a crap not educating these children and cheating to make a few extra bucks. So yes K-12 does make a difference. How are these kids supposed to get into college after going through a school system like that? Tell me.
Why is it that black teachers are more desperate for money than suburban white teachers? Why did those teachers want more money? Do you believe it was simply greed? The teachers don't care about the kids because the community doesn't care or support the teachers. Hey man you support whites taking their land back that's fine. Most children grades K-12 are not paying property taxes or are home owners. So how do we say "get an education so you can keep your home" when it's their parents that are the renters or owners. This education thing is a croch many non blacks like to hide behind. I'm sure those cheating teachers all had to get an "education" to be "educators" It seem their education didn't benefit them like their white counter parts in other counties. This is what I'm trying to open your eyes to. You believe it's a level playing field when it is not.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:32 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
There have been a lot of rabbits chased about Publix locating in majority black areas and the quality of education offered in those areas, but I don't see how that has caused the purported push to reduce the black population within the City limits of Atlanta. I believe the larger issue is that historically, a large portion of the black population has rented their homes whether they were residing in apartment complexes or in single family homes. The areas which have seen the most significant change in their demographics have been places like the Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, East Atlanta, etc. and in these areas, often times, the older apartments were torn down and replaced by new higher rent apartments which leased to a majority white population. The most significant effort which the City government was involved was the tearing down of large public housing like Techwood Homes, Capital Homes and Grady Homes where these residents were then given Section 8 vouchers. These residents often used the vouchers at affordable older complexes in Cobb, Clayton, Douglas and DeKalb counties.

At the same time, as a byproduct of rising home values in gentrifying neighborhoods, many black homeowners have faced higher property tax assessments and have chosen to sell their houses, take the profits and move to other locations.

By contrast, an area which has probably not seen a significant change in the demographics and decline in the black population has been Southwest Atlanta. The reason being, that once you travel west of the immediate West End area, there has not been any significant gentrification taking place. Likewise, in the southeast DeKalb area near South DeKalb Mall area and extending out to Lithonia, this area has not seen a swing in its demographics since the 1980's.

In conclusion, there are limits to how much the demographics of Atlanta area neighborhoods will change. Those neighborhoods which are close in and are within close proximity to higher priced neighborhoods have seen gentrification which has and will continue to see an economic change which is often manifest in a demographic change. For those majority black neighborhoods which are farther out, there is little likelihood that their demographics will change. An interesting phenomenon has taken place in some of the older neighborhoods of Smyrna (and other older close in suburbs) which have experienced gentrification as older, smaller homes (many with maybe 1,000 sq. ft.) are torn down for "Mac Mansions." In these neighborhoods, older working class whites are being replaced by younger, higher income whites.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Why is it that black teachers are more desperate for money than suburban white teachers? Why did those teachers want more money? Do you believe it was simply greed? The teachers don't care about the kids because the community doesn't care or support the teachers. Hey man you support whites taking their land back that's fine. Most children grades K-12 are not paying property taxes or are home owners. So how do we say "get an education so you can keep your home" when it's their parents that are the renters or owners. This education thing is a croch many non blacks like to hide behind. I'm sure those cheating teachers all had to get an "education" to be "educators" It seem their education didn't benefit them like their white counter parts in other counties. This is what I'm trying to open your eyes to. You believe it's a level playing field when it is not.
You clearly didn't follow the trial. It was sad and pathetic. Those administrators and teachers absolutely put greed above children. That is inexcusable. There is no other way to put it. There is also nobody to blame but those teachers and administrators. If you can't see the damage those teachers did to those kids then you need to just put the keyboard away and not post. Seriously.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
You do understand that if the students didn't make a certain average test scores the schools would lose funding right? Then what would they do? Your blaming people who don't even have power. Blame the state for not providing enough support or funding for these children.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
You need to get off your high horse, because you are losing credibility quick.
I am saying that everyone deserves to have access to high quality education and education is the KEY to a success. Primary education has everything to do with being successful later in life.
I never mentioned anything about college, in fact I would like to see more technical trades taught in HS as not everyone wants to go to college and learning a skilled trade can earn someone a very good living, one that will allow them to make their own decision on where to live and whether they want to sell and move and stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta