Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
For the last time, we don't need a "test" because black voters voting for white candidates has long been the norm, not the exception. I hope we'll continue to recruit increasingly diverse candidates for all races from the local, to state, to national level. Once that becomes the norm, perhaps we'll see less voting along racial lines...but we have a long way to go.
When it comes to Mayor yes we absolutely need to test. You seem to be having a hard time following this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It really comes down to White people have proven both in Mayoral elections in Atlanta (Jackson, Young, Campbell, Franklin, Reed) and in Presidential elections (Obama) that they will vote for a Black candidate. Black people have not proven the same thing. Will the Black vote in Atlanta prove that they as a group are willing to vote for someone who looks different than them? Time will tell.
Quote:
When it comes to Mayor yes we absolutely need to test. You seem to be having a hard time following this.
I can't follow it because you keep moving the goalposts. White people apparently "proved" something by voting for Obama (even though he never won a majority of the white vote), but black voters need to be "tested" even though they've repeatedly voted in large majorities for white candidates?

Name all the black candidates for governor who won a majority of the white vote? Not in Georgia, obviously (haha), but anywhere? I've got Deval Patrick, in Massachusetts. Got anyone else?

So why is it again that black voters need to be "tested"?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I can't follow it because you keep moving the goalposts. White people apparently "proved" something by voting for Obama (even though he never won a majority of the white vote), but black voters need to be "tested" even though they've repeatedly voted in large majorities for white candidates?

Name all the black candidates for governor who won a majority of the white vote? Not in Georgia, obviously (haha), but anywhere? I've got Deval Patrick, in Massachusetts. Got anyone else?

So why is it again that black voters need to be "tested"?
What is the title of this thread? It is about the Mayor of Atlanta. When was the last white candidate to get any significant portion of the Black vote in Atlanta? President Obama would not have been elected without support and votes from White people. What do you not understand about that? Yes in 2017 with a diverse and qualified group of candidates in Atlanta it is time for this to be tested.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
What is the title of this thread? It is about the Mayor of Atlanta. When was the last white candidate to get any significant portion of the Black vote in Atlanta?
I'd say Mary Norwood. She probably got 20-25% of the black vote, even in a one-on-one against a popular and well known candidate like Kasim Reed.

Before that it was probably Sam Massell.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say Mary Norwood. She probably got 20-25% of the black vote, even in a one-on-one against a popular and well known candidate like Kasim Reed.

Before that it was probably Sam Massell.

Massell left office 43 years ago. Norwood got 15% of the Black vote in the runoff. 85%-15% is a big disparity wouldn't you say?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Massell left office 43 years ago. Norwood got 15% of the Black vote in the runoff. 85%-15% is a big disparity wouldn't you say?
Okay, I was under the impression that Norwood polled about 21-23% in black precincts.

No doubt that's a big disparity. But it still indicates thousands of black people voting for a white candidate in a one-on-one race against a popular and well known black candidate.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay, I was under the impression that Norwood polled about 21-23% in black precincts.

No doubt that's a big disparity. But it still indicates thousands of black people voting for a white candidate in a one-on-one race against a popular and well known black candidate.
Norwood polled at 20% in the general election and then 15% in the runoff. No doubt Reed was a popular qualified candidate who I voted for and would vote for again if he were not term limited.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Norwood polled at 20% in the general election and then 15% in the runoff. No doubt Reed was a popular qualified candidate who I voted for and would vote for again if he were not term limited.
Okay.

Not challenging you but where'd you get that data? I was looking at the 11Alive map that I posted earlier but it could well be wrong.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Is she still trying to stop new highrises from being built if they block the view of other highrises???

Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 AM

14 posts, read 15,108 times
I'm black and if i were old enough to vote in 2009, i would have voted for Mary Norwood because she supported gay marriage while Kasim Reed was against it back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta