Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What do we need more Amtrak for? I can Uber to the Atlanta Amtrak station if I want to ride. The problem is that I don't want to ride. It takes forever to get to other cities (a lot longer than driving), and it's expensive (more expensive than driving.) So... fix Amtrak, then connect us on new lines and new stations.
Amtrak is true ride sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 01:59 PM

176 posts, read 146,147 times
The main issues with Amtrak in Atlanta are its lack of frequency and the existence of only one line. By looking at the cities with many stations in the suburbs, it is noticeable that the frequencies in those areas are generally far greater than Atlanta. I think the best ways to improve Amtrak in Atlanta are to open a Chicago-Florida line via Atlanta, construct a replacement station downtown with a MARTA connection, and increase frequencies. Once there are multiple trains a day, it would make more sense to add a few suburban stops. However, I think the best idea would be to build a commuter rail line along the Amtrak route. This would primarily serve people commuting to or visiting the city but could also allow people travelling on Amtrak to board a commuter line in smaller suburbs and connect to Amtrak in Gainesville or Atlanta. A good example of such a system at present is the interconnectedness of Amtrak and Metra lines in the Chicago area. Chicago also has service to all areas of the country (except the Southeast) and multiple frequencies per day on almost every line.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM

175 posts, read 235,470 times
I rode amtrak out of atlanta to nyc last summer...It was a fun and COLD trip lol The AC was pumpin thee entire trip...Cudnt wait till DC to get out and warmup and have a smoke. As far as the ride itself tho I have to admit that you could feel the upgrade in Locomotive pulling power...We Quickly Accelerated and decelarated into and out of stations and Actually Ended up gettin into new york about 15 mins Early!! As far as frequencies Atlanta could definitely use a second train and a chicago-Miami routing twice daily thru atlanta totaling 4 trains...Thru a nice central station in downtown atl by 5 points. I would never take it to Nola though...somebody said it takes 11 hours to reach from atl what are they doin like 10mph??? Lol

Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
I rode amtrak out of atlanta to nyc last summer...It was a fun and COLD trip lol The AC was pumpin thee entire trip...Cudnt wait till DC to get out and warmup and have a smoke. As far as the ride itself tho I have to admit that you could feel the upgrade in Locomotive pulling power...We Quickly Accelerated and decelarated into and out of stations and Actually Ended up gettin into new york about 15 mins Early!! As far as frequencies Atlanta could definitely use a second train and a chicago-Miami routing twice daily thru atlanta totaling 4 trains...Thru a nice central station in downtown atl by 5 points. I would never take it to Nola though...somebody said it takes 11 hours to reach from atl what are they doin like 10mph??? Lol
MegaBus is the best option to NOLA.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:45 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
The main issues with Amtrak in Atlanta are its lack of frequency and the existence of only one line. By looking at the cities with many stations in the suburbs, it is noticeable that the frequencies in those areas are generally far greater than Atlanta. I think the best ways to improve Amtrak in Atlanta are to open a Chicago-Florida line via Atlanta, construct a replacement station downtown with a MARTA connection, and increase frequencies. Once there are multiple trains a day, it would make more sense to add a few suburban stops. However, I think the best idea would be to build a commuter rail line along the Amtrak route. This would primarily serve people commuting to or visiting the city but could also allow people travelling on Amtrak to board a commuter line in smaller suburbs and connect to Amtrak in Gainesville or Atlanta. A good example of such a system at present is the interconnectedness of Amtrak and Metra lines in the Chicago area. Chicago also has service to all areas of the country (except the Southeast) and multiple frequencies per day on almost every line.
You're spot on about the interconnectiveness. Sharing important stations in the region between local, commuter, regionall, state, and interstate trains will greatly help the appeal of all involved.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:51 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know this has been discussed in the past, but what if we had more stations? Would that help the ridership here?

I'm taking some of our grandkids on a train trip next month and hopefully they will enjoy it.

Here's a pretty cool interactive map that shows Amtrak ridership in various cities. It seems like the cities with more stations have a lot more riders.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...ail-ridership/

All that anyone who is participating on this thread needs to read is right here:

Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 PM

7,354 posts, read 6,523,779 times
Any Amtrak expansion for Atlanta will require a new station. Amtrak has flat out said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
All that anyone who is participating on this thread needs to read is right here:

Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Enjoy!
I've been over this one before. This particular plan simply won't work. The platforms proposed, and the space left for midday/overnight storage simply isn't long enough. The platform length maxes out at about 5 cars, or 4 and a locomotive. That's not nearly long enough for the Crescent (9 cars plus 2 engines) nor for long-term commuter rail growth (8-cars minimum, 12 is preferable). Additionally, this plan brings extra traffic through Howell Junction which is overly-congested as-is, while alternatives exist for passenger service to Downtown.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 8,654 times
Amtrak will be lucky to survive Trumps first term, and i would be certain it would not survive his 2nd. Class I railroads that are forced to share trackage with passenger trains hate it. It is troublesome to dispatch (which i do) Amtrak through major terminals (such as here in ATL). The track must be maintained to a much higher standard than non-passenger train rail. Shared track is not the answer if we want to grow freight rail service, which alleviates truck traffic.
So, pick your poison.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Any Amtrak expansion for Atlanta will require a new station. Amtrak has flat out said that.

I've been over this one before. This particular plan simply won't work. The platforms proposed, and the space left for midday/overnight storage simply isn't long enough. The platform length maxes out at about 5 cars, or 4 and a locomotive. That's not nearly long enough for the Crescent (9 cars plus 2 engines) nor for long-term commuter rail growth (8-cars minimum, 12 is preferable). Additionally, this plan brings extra traffic through Howell Junction which is overly-congested as-is, while alternatives exist for passenger service to Downtown.

This plan could work. Dare to imagine/think outside the box.

Alternatively, I always envision a second major train station at Armour called Armour Valley Station to complement Grand Five Points Station in Downtown. Armour Valley could be Atlanta's Amtrak Station...if, like you said, having Amtrak go to Grand Five Points becomes too complicated.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:55 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
1. Isn't there a proposal to move the current station to Doraville? That would let people long-term, something they can't do at the current station, which might increase ridership.

2. I would love to see a route that runs south to Florida via Macon, and north to Chattanooga, Nashville, and ultimately Chicago. Not having a direct connection to the Midwest is a big missing link on our current setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta