Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think their whole route structure needs review to focus on more limited routes where they can be profitable and do well and expand from there.

There are a lot of 200 - 500 mile routes where rail is the best option if they can get the business right.

I think Anderson is exactly the sort of guy to do this sort of overhaul.
This would need to come in addition to the existing long-haul routes. They're not profitable, but Amtrak was never meant to be profitable in the first place. On the other hand, they provide enough service to maintain public political support. They are a political bedrock as well as a public service.

We would need to approve additional funding, though, if we were to see any increase in service, which should absolutely happen for the economic benefit of the nation and our metro areas. Some of them may turn a direct profit. Some may not. The service is still important for the over all health of our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
I mean, if you create something as a private for-profit entity, like Amtrak, it is intended to be profitable.

But yeah, I think grants to incentivize some of the routes and help cover some of the infrastructure makes sense. Certainly a better way to spend the money than adding yet another freeway lane.

But the problem is politics. Think Richard Anderson will do the best he can with the resources Amtrak is given. I assure you the CEO Amtrak will put up no opposition to getting additional funding, but I just don't see much of that happening.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
I think their whole route structure needs review to focus on more limited routes where they can be profitable and do well and expand from there.

There are a lot of 200 - 500 mile routes where rail is the best option if they can get the business right.

I think Anderson is exactly the sort of guy to do this sort of overhaul.
Some of the long haul routes need to be eliminated. I get they are the only thing connecting some towns, but we cannot ruin the financial success of Amtrak so some hicks can get rail service that a few people use a month.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Some of the long haul routes need to be eliminated. I get they are the only thing connecting some towns, but we cannot ruin the financial success of Amtrak so some hicks can get rail service that a few people use a month.

But it's not really the current long-haul routes that keep Amtrak financially unsuccessful. The NEC isn't the profit machine so many think it is, only generating profit 'above the rails' and unable to finance the much needed overhauls and maintenance of the rote.

Amtrak struggles because it is a public service people keep trying to make a private company no matter what. It has been kept, like a lot of other public transportation services, at a starvation level of funding, and it shows.

Not only in the degraded NEC & Long-Haul services, but in the lack of new regional services as well.

So, instead of leaving so many people without any service of any kind, why don't we just let it be the social service it is, increase regional services on top of the long-haul routes, and generally actually invest in our national rail system. With increased service would come increased use, and the ability to leverage better funding mechanisms (like TODs at stations) to better offset the cost.

Quote:
I mean, if you create something as a private for-profit entity, like Amtrak, it is intended to be profitable.

But yeah, I think grants to incentivize some of the routes and help cover some of the infrastructure makes sense. Certainly a better way to spend the money than adding yet another freeway lane.

But the problem is politics. Think Richard Anderson will do the best he can with the resources Amtrak is given. I assure you the CEO Amtrak will put up no opposition to getting additional funding, but I just don't see much of that happening.

Amtrak has always been a hybrid public-private entity. From day one its purpose was to provide a service that the freight companies didn't want to maintain for lack of profit. I have no idea how there's a reasonable expectation that Amtrak should be a for-profit entity.

I don't deny that adding more & better regional services are important for helping offset the costs, as should be a goal, but I'm not okay with removing the social-service aspect of the system either. Both long-haul and regional services need to be expanded. Some will be profitable, some won't, but the overall system will be more useful, and see better ridership for it while offering a more complete set of alternatives for people to truly make choices.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Both long-haul and regional services need to be expanded.
Sure, I think it would be great too. But I think the chance of a significant increase in subsidies is very unlikely. A decrease is more likely.

Given that reality, unprofitable, rural, long-haul service should be sacrificed in order to focus on more profitable and useful regional service.

I think the best case long run is that we find a way to scale back highway subsidies. If you have to pay $50 - $100 in tolls to drive across a state suddenly the cost of that train ticket is not sounding bad at all. Then more of those rural train routes start to make more sense to operate.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
CfPT has a good event coming up on August 9. 6 pm at the Mellow Mushroom in Buckhead, and then walk over to see the train in the station.

Amtrak to MARTA Happy Hour

Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
CfPT has a good event coming up on August 9. 6 pm at the Mellow Mushroom in Buckhead, and then walk over to see the train in the station.

Amtrak to MARTA Happy Hour
I wonder how many people will drive to MM and use their free parking?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I wonder how many people will drive to MM and use their free parking?
It happens. I have even seen paid MARTA advocates and employees driving around.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Ironically, that Mellow Mushroom is where the Brookwood MARTA station was supposed to go, which would have linked MARTA rail and Amtrak 2 blocks away.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Ironically, that Mellow Mushroom is where the Brookwood MARTA station was supposed to go, which would have linked MARTA rail and Amtrak 2 blocks away.
People would have still complained about it, like they complained about having to walk thru AC'd Underground Atlanta to a free transfer Braves Shuttle Bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta