Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
More residential coming to Five Points area in the United Way building. Good to see. https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...ents-76955#ath
Streetcar stop directly across the street. More 24/7 residents will help to improve Hurt Park and force APD GSUPD to enforce anti-loitering ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Default Public funding for two levels of parking next to Five Points MARTA

This sort of ties in with our discussion in other threads about TOD.

This is happening in an area where there are no parking minimums. And with a development that is literally on top of the busiest transit station in the MARTA system.

Sounds like the NPU somehow got cut out of the system, too.

What are we supposed to do when developers haul off and put in parking even when it's not required and the city helps pay for it?

Quote:
Invest Atlanta, the City of Atlanta’s funding arm, has voted this week to contribute funding for an apartment development with two levels of parking deck next to Five Points MARTA, where no parking requirements exist. And they did so without required neighborhood notification.

If you haven’t seen this proposed apartment building for Underground Atlanta or any plans for it, not even at the latest public-engagement meeting from property owners WRS, you’re not alone. No one saw it until today’s Invest Atlanta meeting because it was never submitted to the local NPU, the city’s official Neighborhood Planning Unit, as is required by the application for public funding.

Atlanta is publicly funding the addition of parking literally on top of a section of the Five Points MARTA Station (the most heavily-used transit station in the southeastern U.S.) and we’re doing so in a part of the city that has no parking minimums – this is the wrong way to add density near transit. If the plan had been presented to the NPU, the public would have had a chance to speak up about this. We had no such chance.

More....Public funding for two levels of parking next to Five Points MARTA

Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
We already have a thread on this

//www.city-data.com/forum/48901650-post94.html

Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Why should I pay for YOU to make a profit on this kind of $h!+.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
We already have a thread on this

//www.city-data.com/forum/48901650-post94.html
Sorry, maybe the mods can delete this or combine it with the other.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This sort of ties in with our discussion in other threads about TOD.

This is happening in an area where there are no parking minimums. And with a development that is literally on top of the busiest transit station in the MARTA system.

Sounds like the NPU somehow got cut out of the system, too.

What are we supposed to do when developers haul off and put in parking even when it's not required and the city helps pay for it?
I don't think it is reasonable to expect no parking to exist at this point.

To me this is just yet another example of why we need to get rid of parking minimums and let the market decide. Get rid of parking minimums does not mean all parking spaces disappear despite what some of the hyperbole may imply.

There have been basically no details published on this parking deck and the number of spaces but I bet it will be far below the typical space-per-bedroom marking minimums that exist many places.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I don't understand why the city is helping fund any part of a private apartment development.

Is it a bond situation? Do they get the money back with interest or a cut of the profits or anything?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't understand why the city is helping fund any part of a private apartment development.

Is it a bond situation? Do they get the money back with interest or a cut of the profits or anything?
They get increased taxes.

The logic goes something like this: Property currently paying $1M a year in taxes, but with X development it will pay $10M a year, so we will grant them $30M of incentive to build it since we will earn that revenue back and then some within four years.

The flaw in that logic assumes no improvement would happen without the incentive.

I agree with should not be doing these sort of incentives beyond maybe some type of TAD agreement to fund infrastructure in the area the development needs (Atlantic Station and the Beltline are good examples).

Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

That's what stopped the entire redevelopment of the new Publix in Upper Westside/Bolton/Fernleaf/Ridgewood Heights/Underwood Hills/Unnamed Neighborhood/etc/etc. Some city funds were being used through a TAD to help the development get off the ground, and it was stopped by a scumbag lawyer.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
I agree with should not be doing these sort of incentives beyond maybe some type of TAD agreement to fund infrastructure in the area the development needs
That's BS.

My property taxes are about $3k a year. The county didn't give me a $12k incentive knowing it would make it back in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta