Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM

693 posts, read 357,257 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Alpharetta, made a mistake 8 years ago and moved to florida. Due to certain situations with home sales being low, then school for kids, etc, I had to wait before moving back.

My wife and I are now looking to move back next year when our eldest graduates from high school, and our youngest then would be going into 5th grade.

We have our sights set on Suwanee, due to being more affordable than Alpharetta.

I have just a couple of questions:

1. How are the schools in Suwanee (are they ultra competitive)?
2. Are there "undesirable" areas to avoid in Suwanee?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

By the way, job doesn't matter to me. I work from home, so I'm good in that area (the office I would normally report to is based in Alpharetta).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
It's a cute area with good schools and a cool town center. The closest shopping option is Mall of Georgia, which can be 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Your job may not matter now, but think about down the line, maybe you want a new job. Suwanee is not a job center.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM

98 posts, read 205,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Thanks.
To answer your questions:
1. The schools in Suwanee are great. Some of GCPS's best schools are located in Suwanee, with the North Gwinnett cluster consistently being the best. Academics in the North Gwinnett cluster can be just as competitive as the schools in Alpharetta. Your other options are the Collins Hill and Peachtree Ridge clusters, both of which are pretty good.
2. Overall, all of Suwanee is pretty desirable, but if you had to pick a undesirable area, it would be south of I-85.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 AM

333 posts, read 388,275 times
Suwanee offers a really good quality of life, with free concerts, movies, festivals, marathons, and more all conveniently located just minutes from I-85. The city offers a few of it's own shopping venues, but is also located near Sugarloaf Mills Outlet Mall and the Mall of Georgia.

The city is served by both the Collins Hill and North Gwinnett High School clusters, two of the better Gwinnett County High Schools in both academics, sports and more. You'll find great healthcare options, affordable and not-so-affordable housing including new construction, parks trails and plenty to keep the family busy.

I won't comment on undesirability. But you'll want to be sure to do your due diligence on any area under consideration. Properties do come on the market in and around Suwanee that are not exactly the best fit for some (overpriced, poor property and neighborhood condition, etc.). But with the right care, you should land here safely on your feet and ready to start life again in Metro Atlanta.

Welcome back.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 AM

93 posts, read 123,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
I used to live in Alpharetta, made a mistake 8 years ago and moved to florida. Due to certain situations with home sales being low, then school for kids, etc, I had to wait before moving back.

My wife and I are now looking to move back next year when our eldest graduates from high school, and our youngest then would be going into 5th grade.

We have our sights set on Suwanee, due to being more affordable than Alpharetta.

Thanks.
I believe I am in the exact same situation as you. However I am also considering the exact opposite side of town NW as well. Woodstock/Canton.

Please keep me posted on your findings. I am still very interested in the Suwanee area. Let me know if you find a GEM or something. Also please feel free to chime in on my thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...move-stay.html

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone. My wife and I are thinking about driving out there next week to see the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta