Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:12 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Atlanta is a hip hop and R&B town.
But, it's a massive metro area. Even if it leans hip-hop, R&B, you'd think there could be a substantial audience for rock acts. Something else has to be at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, many festivals have clauses that prevent bands from playing within a certain radius within a certain amount of time. I agree it sucks.
Never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. If there's, for example, a U2 concert, in metro Atlanta within 6 months of Bonnaroo, plenty of people would just stay within the metro to see them and not hike to Tennessee to see them.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:17 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Ok I'll bite. I'm Gen Y and I would much rather hear U2/Coldplay/Foo Fighters/etc than most new music today. I don't really understand the whole electronica/dubstep/synth pop stuff.

I saw Coldplay at Philips in 2012 and it was one of the most epic concerts I've ever been to.

You're for sure in the minority. I am also a millennial, and I also have a taste for old school music- anything from classic soul to classic rock and everything in between. Hell I even listen to opera and classical music sometimes, but I will also throw on some Future or Rock Ross to get the juices flowing. With that said I'm probably the only person in my circle who has stuff like SOS Band, Donny Hathaway, Aretha Franklin, Nirvana and Todd Rundgren on his playlist along with new artists like Kendrick Lamar or whatever local rapper is hot at the moment. People like us are the exception, no where near the rule among our generation. Dubstep, Electronic, and Rap is what millennial folks want. Not Alt Rock, classic rock or classic soul. Times change and I'm fine with that, I can still like the old stuff and dig some of the new stuff too.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. If there's, for example, a U2 concert, in metro Atlanta within 6 months of Bonnaroo, plenty of people would just stay within the metro to see them and not hike to Tennessee to see them.
I think that's the reasoning. I don't think it's smart reasoning, because festivals are supposed to be an experience that is more expansive than any single act.

Add to this policy the fact that there are far more festivals every year than there ever used to be, and the chances of seeing a band you like at a traditional venue becomes pretty slim. I'd love to see Alabama Shakes, to offer one example, but they only play here on festivals (I think they've played only one show here that wasn't a festival show). I don't like it, but I can't really blame them. It's easier, cheaper, and more profitable than traditional touring.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:23 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
It does suck because, at my age, there's no way in Hades that I'm going to a muddy, smelly music festival and staying in a tent. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. As long as people on this thread are dissing Gen-Xers, I might as well own it. Age has its privileges, and I'd rather sip Cabernet at the Ritz-Carlton than share a bong with a bunch of smelly hippy wannabes at a music festival. YMMV.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
It does suck because, at my age, there's no way in Hades that I'm going to a muddy, smelly music festival and staying in a tent. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. As long as people on this thread are dissing Gen-Xers, I might as well own it. Age has its privileges, and I'd rather sip Cabernet at the Ritz-Carlton than share a bong with a bunch of smelly hippy wannabes at a music festival. YMMV.
Lol, agree. Though, even in my youth, I wasn't a huge festival fan; much prefer a one-and-done concert at an arena or smaller venue. If I go to a festival now in my 40s, it will be one that's in a city, like Lolapalooza in Chicago or Essence Music Festival in New Orleans, where I can easily retreat to a clean hotel room or other accommodation or nearby bar or coffee shop and chill out and consider if I want more festival action that day. Or, if I lived in a city that actually had a decent festival, I could just go home when I wanted. Dang, I sound old.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:22 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There it is again. More unfounded insults:

1. questioning my "stability".
2. You have to "get more basic" for us to understand your superior intellect.
3. Accusing others of lacking critical thinking skills.

All while not only missing my point, but claiming you aren't judging others.

Pathetic. You're making a fool of yourself and you need to check it.
It's not possible for me to make a fool of myself. You're just mad because I'm calling you out.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM

46 posts, read 47,189 times
Atlanta is A T L A N T A now.

It's seen as very, very urban. For many, the first thing people think about when they hear the word "Atlanta" is people of color. Places like LA and NY are so large and storied that it seems like more of a sure thing even if they're just as diverse as Atlanta.

I also think rock (in the classical sense) isn't what it used to be either.

And on a very serious note: Atlanta is the Hip Hop capital of the world. That's facts.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 PM

304 posts, read 325,012 times
Atlanta has a larger percentage of black people in the city and metro than most other major US cities. BTW, I am not saying that is a bad thing at all. But for every 1 rock concert that is booked, Atlanta promoters are probably booking 4 or 5 Rap/Hip Hop & R/B shows. I am sure that is because the Hip Hop and Rap concerts are in greater demand in Atlanta, the promoters can probably make more money and negotiate better rates for those shows than a normal Rock concert that is going to appeal to a more white, suburban audience that may not be willing to travel as often to downtown.

When you do get a big rock, pop, or country concert it's usually at the GA Dome, i.e. U2, Metallica in the past and Garth Brooks coming to MBS in a few months. The Dome and MBS are run by GWCCA that tends to be more open to more mainstream music, whereas Philips Arena is owned by the Atlanta Hawks and they tend to skew more heavily to Rap and Hip Hop these days.

Ironically there is a story that claims that the Hawks and Philips Arena are facing a law suit from a former employee who alleges discrimination in how they treated white and black performers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...suit-drake-nba

Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
It is curious that Atlanta seems to get passed over this much given that the biggest concert promoter/ticket seller/venue operator, Live Nation Entertainment, shares a couple of executives with Liberty Media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta