Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:32 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times

Advertisements

Makes me feel kind of nostalgic for the old-school amusement parks.

Iconic wooden roller coaster to shut down, and we're feeling nostalgic | 11alive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
I hear you on nostalgia, but the wooden ones are all going to be doomed eventually, even Scream Machine.

Safety reasons aside, people prefer the much smoother ride of the steel ones. Doesn't jerk you around and leave you as sore.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
To be fair....this is not a historic roller coaster. I remember when they built it, we wondered why they built such a terrible coaster. It's true that wooden roller coasters were enjoying a resurgence at the time, but they were taking them to the next level building coasters bigger and longer than ever before....not recreating track designs that were already 60 years old and outdated.

So the Georgia Cyclone was pretty much a crummy outdated ride the day it opened. I think Six Flags always knew that, and that's why they announced it's permanent closure less than two weeks before it goes way. They know that nobody is going to be clamoring to ride this thing one last time. If they did, they would have announced it in March and billed this entire summer as "your last chance to ride the legendary Georgia Cyclone!"

Our Six Flags pretty much never gets modern, interesting rides. The best coaster is has is Goliath, and that debuted in 2005. That's more than 25 years after Cedar Point opened its hyper coaster. By the time Goliath topped 200 feet in Austell, amusement parks all over the country and world were going past 300.

I really wonder if Six Flags has seen business drop since the amusement parks in central Florida upped their game. Used to be if you wanted a decent coaster in the southeast, you HAD to come here. But now we've been totally outclassed by coasters at Busch Gardens, Universal, and even freaking Sea World.

Sorry, I've just never regarded SFOG as a good -- or even passable -- amusement park.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Yeah, the "legendary" coaster is the Coney Island Cyclone, built in 1927.

Georgia Cyclone is just an exact mirror image replica of that coaster, and it was built in 1990.

Weird concept, to say the least. But, I do have fond memories of when it was new. I think it might have been the first "serious" coaster that I ever rode. (Dahlonega Mine Train doesn't count.)

Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times
Why would they build it when they had the Scream Machine?

Old 07-17-2017, 03:48 PM

390 posts, read 907,526 times
One unfortuante thing about our park is that because of Fulton County Airport there are heigh restrictions....we won't ever be getting a coaster I believe over 300 feet.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, the "legendary" coaster is the Coney Island Cyclone, built in 1927.

Georgia Cyclone is just an exact mirror image replica of that coaster, and it was built in 1990.

Weird concept, to say the least. But, I do have fond memories of when it was new. I think it might have been the first "serious" coaster that I ever rode. (Dahlonega Mine Train doesn't count.)
Hated that one. Very rickety. And you always sense you are going to bump your head. Not that you will actually hit your head, but if you bend your neck over as you come to those overheads, you will get a minor case of whiplash. Much preferred the Scream Machine.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Why would they build it when they had the Scream Machine?
Because wooden roller coaster experienced renewed interest in the late 80s/early 90s with many parks building wooden coasters that were much bigger and faster than had been seen before. But that interest waned when it became obvious that all the technology in the world couldn't provide a smooth ride, and making them bigger just made them rougher.

This is one area where SFOG is exactly on trend....a lot of the wooden coasters built during that time are closing and parks are reclaiming their footprints to build rides that people like.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
And you always sense you are going to bump your head
Those are called headchoppers. They are put there on purpose to add a perceived element of danger to the ride.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Because wooden roller coaster experienced renewed interest in the late 80s/early 90s with many parks building wooden coasters that were much bigger and faster than had been seen before. But that interest waned when it became obvious that all the technology in the world couldn't provide a smooth ride, and making them bigger just made them rougher.

This is one area where SFOG is exactly on trend....a lot of the wooden coasters built during that time are closing and parks are reclaiming their footprints to build rides that people like.
This makes a lot of sense, the same year The Georgia Cyclone was built in SFOG... The Texas Giant was built in SFOT. both wooden. I never realize this.

but they already torn down the original wooden The Texas Giant and replaced with a steel one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta