Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 06:18 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I arrived in Atlanta at 8:30 this morning sight unseen. I am staying in Midtown for a few days and will be starting school at GT next week.

So far I am really enjoying it. I walked all over the midtown area up to the Botanical gardens and down to Tech Square area as well as walking around GT campus.

Some things I noticed so far:

- This part of town is really walkable. I know people on this forums say how spread out the city is in general, but this area is a breeze to get around on foot not really any different than Boston.

- The drivers are very aggressive however. A lot of drivers turning right will just pull out in front of pedestrians with a cross sign.. I'm used to that in Boston aswell but if anything it seems worse down here.

- Didn't really feel any hotter than New England at this time of year. Maybe it's a couple of degrees warmer but there's so many trees and shade I walked around in jeans for hours today and was comfortable.

- Food around here is amazing. I'm not going to run out of restaurants to try any time soon and the couple places I checked out today were great. There seems to be a good mix of affordable places and of course a ton of high end spots also.

- People who live here don't seem to like it... I only talked to a handful of people in passing but everyone who lived here said they wanted out. The biggest complaints were "it's overbuilt" "people are two faced" and they seemed pretty adamant about those points "Don't make too many friends and pick them carefully" type of thing.

-Scooters. Yea we don't really have these back home LOL it's so weird to see them just sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. There must be some kind of e-lock feature cause it looks like anyone could just walk up and take them

Tomorrow I'm gonna check out the High Museum and the Botanical Gardens, and get my MARTA pass. I've got a few free days now before school starts - any suggestions of where to check out during this time?

Thanks
Glad you have a good first impression. Today actually marks 1 year in ATL for my family, and so far so good. Coming from the north I've found the 4 season weather very pleasant, the personalities a little more laid back, and the southern hospitality is real. The roads are a little windy and crazy, but I also noticed how polite the drivers are. It's like the tough roads have cultivated a "let's work together" attitude. People always letting others in, that type of stuff.

I think every city has its group that always laments the bad and "want's out," thinks the grass is greener. I found it all depends on what your expectations, motive, and budget are.

The scooters have gotten a bit out of hand. After the third death, these are currently on the chopping block, be interesting to see what happens

A few suggestions (sounds like you don't have a car? I picked areas near GT for you):

Grab some match soft serve and high end coffee at Momo's cafe
Walk around Piedmont Park
Grab some dinner in Inman Quarter area
Goat farm park
Do a little shopping in Westside Provisions

All the best to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM

111 posts, read 104,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Glad you have a good first impression. Today actually marks 1 year in ATL for my family, and so far so good. Coming from the north I've found the 4 season weather very pleasant, the personalities a little more laid back, and the southern hospitality is real. The roads are a little windy and crazy, but I also noticed how polite the drivers are. It's like the tough roads have cultivated a "let's work together" attitude. People always letting others in, that type of stuff.

I think every city has its group that always laments the bad and "want's out," thinks the grass is greener. I found it all depends on what your expectations, motive, and budget are.

The scooters have gotten a bit out of hand. After the third death, these are currently on the chopping block, be interesting to see what happens

A few suggestions (sounds like you don't have a car? I picked areas near GT for you):

Goat farm park

All the best to you!
I totally disagree on these points and especially the second. Atlanta drivers are the worst they will try to fight with you no matter what if you try to get in front of them. They are the worst I have ever seen and coming from the northeast that means something. With how many people here carry guns it makes it even scarier how people get so angry on the roads. I'm glad I can take marta everyday to work and not have to deal with that ordeal on the roads. As far as southern hospitality it definitely isn't in Metro Altanta. I have been here over 20 years and find Atlanta to have the rudest people in the United States. Maybe if you live far far out in the suburbs there is some Souther Hospitality but I never run upon it. I do agree with people saying people here are two face and also lots of people are just fake and like to be front as they are well off living down here were it is cheaper than other parts of the USA. I do like how they have built up inner neighborhoods even though it has the bad affect of displacing minorities and the poor in the city. Atlanta was due for a makeover and starting with the belt line it has really pushed forward and made the city a lot more interesting and fun. Overall if you can avoid the traffic and the rude people Atlanta isn't bad with its pleasant weather and more active developing inner city scene.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:18 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Welcome, Space League! Atlanta has its pros/cons just like Boston, but I think you'll love it overall. I live out in the burbs with my family, but we go into town often as there is so much to see/do.

One word of advice if you're a Pats fan, keep the Brady jersey at home Falcons fans are still not over that lol

Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
The roads are a little windy and crazy, but I also noticed how polite the drivers are. It's like the tough roads have cultivated a "let's work together" attitude. People always letting others in, that type of stuff.
Wait...are you sure you're talking about Atlanta? The land of "I put my blinker on and the guys sped up and cut me off"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
As far as southern hospitality it definitely isn't in Metro Altanta. I have been here over 20 years and find Atlanta to have the rudest people in the United States.
I have the exact opposite experience. Odd...

Old 08-07-2019, 08:14 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Are you starting undergrad, or graduate school?
Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Welcome to Atlanta and great review. As far as picking friends that is pretty much everywhere, but among the black community, Atlanta reputation is pretty much in the dumps, as having a lot of men that are on the DL, and heterosexual women have a better chance of finding a romantic relationship in another city.
Yea I'm white but the people I talked to were black and a few were specifically were talking about the black community from their "specific word choice" and talk about how you're treated if "if you didn't go to a HBCU". I'm pretty sure some of those guys were gay or at least talk that way as-well. I hope I can still meet women here however

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I find that experiences of a city while in college tend to be totally different than those of a professional. My graduate school days in Boston were something!

If I were headed back into grad school with a few days to run around, I'd probably be looking for all kinds of un-purchased and discounted home goods products. Since you're romping on a short cultural tour and will be at Botanical Gardens, why don't you just hop on to a scooter and follow downwards on the Beltline to the Old Fourth Ward?
I hope I have enough free time to enjoy once school starts How do you rent a scooter?

Quote:

Goat farm park

All the best to you!
Yea I left the car at home. Mainly because the inspection is due in December and I didn't want to waste my holidays driving back and forth across the country for that. I will check out some of those spots you suggested but I disagree about the drivers. From a pedestrian standpoint they seem rather aggressive

Quote:
I totally disagree on these points and especially the second. Atlanta drivers are the worst they will try to fight with you no matter what if you try to get in front of them. They are the worst I have ever seen and coming from the northeast that means something. With how many people here carry guns it makes it even scarier how people get so angry on the roads. I'm glad I can take marta everyday to work and not have to deal with that ordeal on the roads. As far as southern hospitality it definitely isn't in Metro Altanta. I have been here over 20 years and find Atlanta to have the rudest people in the United States. Maybe if you live far far out in the suburbs there is some Souther Hospitality but I never run upon it. I do agree with people saying people here are two face and also lots of people are just fake and like to be front as they are well off living down here were it is cheaper than other parts of the USA. I do like how they have built up inner neighborhoods even though it has the bad affect of displacing minorities and the poor in the city. Atlanta was due for a makeover and starting with the belt line it has really pushed forward and made the city a lot more interesting and fun. Overall if you can avoid the traffic and the rude people Atlanta isn't bad with its pleasant weather and more active developing inner city scene.
Yea I would agree the drivers are somewhat more aggressive than Northeast from a pedestrian standpoint. I'm not sure if that carries over onto the freeway etc. People don't seem that rude yet.. it's been easy to make conversation with randoms to whatever extent I wanted to so far

Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Clermont Lounge.

You're welcome.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:37 AM

306 posts, read 328,244 times
I think drivers are bad and rude here in the metro atlanta area as many if not most seem to not be from here, lots from up north, no offense. Not sure if your a big football fan but GT just got a new head coach so could be exciting as well! Definitely tons of good restaurant options, and many right by Tech area, I live very close to the campus by west peachtree and you have the publix for shopping, and marlows tavern is good too right next to it!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
I find it amazing that just about every city claims their drivers are the worst.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Welcome to the city of Trees!
We aren't natives but transferred here 5 years ago.
If you facebook, make sure to check out events and things to do around here.
You will love the upcoming fall season.
Good luck with your studies.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Wow!

You must have been the person the OP ran into!

Atlanta is the friendliest big city in the country.

The drivers here are courteous to the point of being dangerous (stopping with right of way to let someone in from a side street). Maybe Atlanta has more than its share of "super-jerks" on the road, but the vast majority are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta