Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

"Cagle Releases New TV Ad for Gubernatorial Campaign" (GeorgiaPol.com)
https://www.georgiapol.com/2018/04/0...rial-campaign/
That seems like an ad geared toward the general election. There's not nearly enough pandering for the primaries going on there...

That commercial, taken on it own, could definitely persuade me to vote for Cagle. If he sticks with that message, he will surely win. Running on Deal's coattails, especially how well he is closing out his term, will be a great strategy to pick up moderates along with the Republican base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Don't talk to me about bigotry while you categorically dismiss an entire class of people. You really should be ashamed of yourself.
Can't wait until you reach your Golden Years, if you're that lucky.
Please don't take this as a defense of generalizing large swaths of people.

But if you or any of your friends make those ignorant comments about Millennials, yall are just as bad. We have had to endure insane, insulting generalizations for years, I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for yall's generation in this regard.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 AM

296 posts, read 220,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
But if you or any of your friends make those ignorant comments about Millennials, yall are just as bad. We have had to endure insane, insulting generalizations for years, I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for yall's generation in this regard.
Welcome to life. Every generation has been crapped on and called useless by their parents' and grandparents' generations. And every generation has thought they were uniquely picked on and that they were totally unlike any other previous generation and were so much more amazing and enlightened.

It's especially ironic when baby boomers are the ones who insult millennials, given the baby boomers are who have raised the millennials, but it is what it is.

I'm "Gen X", fwiw. We were crapped on too.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
The average Fox News viewer's age is 66 or 68, something in there.

Average Trump voter age, certainly in the 50's.

And they're almost all white.

I don't see how being aware of and discussing demographic facts is a generalization.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are legit issues that are concerns for retired voters. I'm not saying the elderly shouldn't vote.

I'm saying they shouldn't be ignorant and racist and homophobic and all that. They should be something other than brainwashed by Sean Hannity. If you want to be mad at me for holding adults accountable for themselves, I mean, okay.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM

815 posts, read 709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
Welcome to life. Every generation has been crapped on and called useless by their parents' and grandparents' generations. And every generation has thought they were uniquely picked on and that they were totally unlike any other previous generation and were so much more amazing and enlightened.

It's especially ironic when baby boomers are the ones who insult millennials, given the baby boomers are who have raised the millennials, but it is what it is.

Yes, I am Gen X too and I agree that the millennial bashing is way out of hand. Gen X used to get it too, but now it seems we're just ignored since there's not as many of us. We were kind of the transitional generation--the first latchkey kids, the first that experienced divorce in large numbers, first to have high levels of college debt, first to not have secure retirement prostpects, etc.

Since millennials are our children and younger siblings, and since we share many of the same struggles as millennials to some degree, I feel a strong affinity toward milennials and share anger at the Boomers.

With respect to politics, it seems politics is still dominated by Boomers who refuse to let go of the reins. I don't think this is due to lack of initiative on the part of the younger generations, but due to new laws that make it much more difficult for outsiders to gain political influence. I truly believe that as millennials start to flex their muscle, we'll start to see some positive, transformative changes in this world. I think my generation might be a little too cynical for all that, but millennials seem to believe they can change the world.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
Welcome to life.

Yeah, we were denigrated as "latch-key kids" and "slackers" before the millennials came along.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I truly believe that as millennials start to flex their muscle, we'll start to see some positive, transformative changes in this world. I think my generation might be a little too cynical for all that, but millennials seem to believe they can change the world.
As a Millennial, I'm not as optimistic.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Yes, I am Gen X too and I agree that the millennial bashing is way out of hand. Gen X used to get it too, but now it seems we're just ignored since there's not as many of us. We were kind of the transitional generation--the first latchkey kids, the first that experienced divorce in large numbers, first to have high levels of college debt, first to not have secure retirement prostpects, etc.

Since millennials are our children and younger siblings, and since we share many of the same struggles as millennials to some degree, I feel a strong affinity toward milennials and share anger at the Boomers.

With respect to politics, it seems politics is still dominated by Boomers who refuse to let go of the reins. I don't think this is due to lack of initiative on the part of the younger generations, but due to new laws that make it much more difficult for outsiders to gain political influence. I truly believe that as millennials start to flex their muscle, we'll start to see some positive, transformative changes in this world. I think my generation might be a little too cynical for all that, but millennials seem to believe they can change the world.
Fantastic post.

I fall in the Millennial generation, but not too far into it. I've seen people my age disown their Millennial membership, I do the opposite. I don't have a ton in common with the stereotypical Millennial, but I know as a group we can do great things. I stand in solidarity with my generation despite the inevitable stupid things any young generation does. And I will actively work to marginalize the large swaths of older generations who give no care to the generations following them. That includes the environment, growing the oppressive powers of the government in the name of "security", building up massive debt, and proudly sticking to traditions just cause "that''s how it is".

I love and respect the people who have come before me and worked hard to build many of the things we enjoy today. I have no illusions that we didn't get to the age of the internet and all the comforts we enjoy without someone before us building the foundations of these things. But there is a large segment of the older population who are incredibly stubborn and selfish. I am very much of the belief that the baby boomer generation will not experience the fond recollections like many people like to recall "the greatest generation". It will be quite the opposite.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Please don't take this as a defense of generalizing large swaths of people.

Fair enough. But when have I ever? I gave birth to three Millennials, so I'm actually able to see their finer points.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The average Fox News viewer's age is 66 or 68, something in there.

Average Trump voter age, certainly in the 50's.

And they're almost all white.

I don't see how being aware of and discussing demographic facts is a generalization.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are legit issues that are concerns for retired voters. I'm not saying the elderly shouldn't vote.

I'm saying they shouldn't be ignorant and racist and homophobic and all that. They should be something other than brainwashed by Sean Hannity. If you want to be mad at me for holding adults accountable for themselves, I mean, okay.
Sean hannity gets 1-2 million viewers per night probably
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta