Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times

Advertisements

So can someone create a thread for the top democrats candidates and what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
I think what confuses a lot of people are there are two types of Christianity. The real one that really does love all people and believe that change take place by supernatural means and the other type of Christianity that is hypocritical, traditional, judgmental, and non- influential. Those type of Christian generally look down on bad behavior, while secretly practicing those things themselves. That what I hate the most about the religious spirit. Even the bible says to beware of those with a form of Godliness, but no true power to influence people with a man-made law.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I think what confuses a lot of people are there are two types of Christianity. The real one that really does love all people and believe that change take place by supernatural means and the other type of Christianity that is hypocritical, traditional, judgmental, and non- influential. Those type of Christian generally look down on bad behavior, while secretly practicing those things themselves. That what I hate the most about the religious spirit. Even the bible says to beware of those with a form of Godliness, but no true power to influence people with a man-made law.
But where in the Bible does it say to love all people, though? Where? Is that in Deuteronomy 23:1, where it states that if you've had a testicular injury, you may not enter a church? Or is it the parts that talk about burning your children alive for God, stoning women to death, death penalty if you cuss out your parents. Etc. Maybe it's in those steamy donkey-lust verses? Or in the various chapters that talk at length about the proper ways for slave masters to be treating their slaves? Is that the "love all people" part? I want to know where that command is, and if so, why then is all that other directly contradicting stuff also in there?

And yes, the omnipotent, unfathomable being, that created billions upon billions of galaxies, each of them full of billions of planets (and whatever forms of life), in his perfect book that he authored... demands that your junk be intact. He created all matter and energy and the fundamental laws of physics. He invented time and space, he created very existence itself, and he has something to say about crushed balls. I just find that odd.

Anyway, I agree, yeah, there are 2 types of Christians. But, actually, these more fundamentalist/ conservative types are the less hypocritical type. They fail to practice what they preach, yeah. But it's the progressive types, who basically completely or mostly ignore their own religion. Really that's an even greater hypocrisy, IMO. Like, for example, the Bible very clearly and specifically condemns homosexuality. About 6 freaking times, God directly condemns homosexuality as sin. There's no ambiguity to it. And yet, there all these gay Christians and pro-gay Christians. I don't get it.

People who simultaneously claim that God is actually real, and that he wrote a book for mankind (which is an absolutely incredible claim), but also for some reason don't care what it says in that book?? Selectively ignore whatever they want in it. Cherry-pick whatever in it, just to back up whatever their opinion is. Pretend it just says to love everybody or whatever feel-good hippy vibe, when that is clearly NOT what the freaking PERFECT divine text says.

God encourages human sacrifice, and never says anything against rape. That's what the Bible says. So if that's not your position as a Christian, then great, wonderful- but then what even is Christianity then?

Religion, when actually believed in, is the poison that holds back humanity from all progress and all that's good. (Which is why the most backwards states are the most religious. It's no coincidence.) But, at least those morally backwards, right-wing type people actually somewhat seem to almost believe in the religion that they claim to believe in. They believe that a perfect God wrote the most important book ever written, and yet have also apparently found time to read it a little bit, and actually kind of care what it says.

Don't get me wrong. From a political standpoint, I'm very glad for the 'moderate' Christian politicians (and voters) in Georgia/America who basically ignore the text of the Bible, and who believe in church-state separation, etc. But, I also think at the end of the day, really that's what most enables the harm of the more fundamentalist Bible-pushing types, who to their credit seem to be more sincere and honest about their claimed religious beliefs. God wrote a book of primitive 'morality' and nonsense for mankind, not some 2018 progressive SJW HuffPost article or something. Either you believe in God or you don't.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
So can someone create a thread for the top democrats candidates and what they are talking about.
Creating a thread that would highlight the top Democratic candidates running for statewide and other offices (Congressional, state legislative, local government, etc) is an excellent idea.

Here is an article that national political magazine POLITICO published on Monday asking if a combination of shifting demographics, engaged African-American voters and Donald Trump's unpopularity could make 2018 the year that Georgia turns blue...

"Is this the year Georgia turns blue?...
Democrats say shifting demographics, engaged African-American voters and Donald Trump’s unpopularity could be what it takes to flip the governor’s mansion in November."
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-trump-351259

Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Old vs New Testament to some degree. But there is room for all interpretations.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Texas anyone?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 AM

815 posts, read 709,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Creating a thread that would highlight the top Democratic candidates running for statewide and other offices (Congressional, state legislative, local government, etc) is an excellent idea.

Here is an article that national political magazine POLITICO published on Monday asking if a combination of shifting demographics, engaged African-American voters and Donald Trump's unpopularity could make 2018 the year that Georgia turns blue...

"Is this the year Georgia turns blue?...
Democrats say shifting demographics, engaged African-American voters and Donald Trump’s unpopularity could be what it takes to flip the governor’s mansion in November."
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-trump-351259
Great article! It seems like it is going to be critical for the Stacies to run a positive primary campaign. For the Dems to win, they are going to need both minority voters and suburban/rural white female voters. If the primary race gets nasty, I fear that it will be hard to hold together a winning coalition.

They both seem to be on the same page as far as strategy and it seems like they both have about an equal (albeit slim) shot at winning. I hope ego doesn't get the better of them.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...WidzuNwoE7ERL/

Quote:
This might be the most public rift yet between two statewide Republican candidates running for governor.
Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle’s decision to back a bill that calls for the state to scrap its 16-year-old touch-screen voting system and replace it with a paper-based system has triggered a sharp response from Secretary of State Brian Kemp, who oversees the state’s elections.

Cagle told WABE that a paper ballot trail “ensures that accuracy is there, and that there are no games that potentially could be played.”

Kemp’s campaign sent us a scathing response to Cagle’s idea, claiming he’s joined the ranks of “liberal conspiracy theorists” like Barack Obama and Stacey Abrams, a Democratic candidate for governor, with his support of the plan.

“Is Casey Cagle that desperate for higher office that he would side with the radical left to tear down Georgia and our institutions?” said Kemp. “This decision needs to be made with input from legislators, county election officials, Georgia voters and the Secretary of State - not conspiracy theorists or misinformed, craven candidates for higher office."

Cagle campaign manager Scott Binkley fired back at Kemp on Thursday.

“The conservative Republican senators supporting this legislation would be surprised to hear they’re backing a leftist agenda when in reality they just don’t trust the current Secretary of State to run a competent election — and with good reason,” he said. “We’re looking to restore trust in our processes.”

Supporters of the proposal say paper ballots, used by about 70 percent of the nation, are more secure than electronic machines because they can’t be hacked.

Georgia’s 27,000 touch screens now leave no paper record of how people voted, making it impossible to audit elections for accuracy or to conduct verifiable recounts.
BURN. Holy, sweet, burn. Zinger.

Man, Kemp with his rhetoric there is everything that's wrong with conservatives, and everything that's wrong with our country in general. I now support Cagle's campaign 100%, even as a liberal. And since we have open primaries in this state, I can vote for Cagle in the primary without being registered Republican.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...WidzuNwoE7ERL/

BURN. Holy, sweet, burn. Zinger.

Man, Kemp with his rhetoric there is everything that's wrong with conservatives, and everything that's wrong with our country in general. I now support Cagle's campaign 100%, even as a liberal. And since we have open primaries in this state, I can vote for Cagle in the primary without being registered Republican.
Typical of Republican candidates in general, immediately start with bizarre conspiracy theories and blaming anytime someone tries to change something for the better. They assume all voters are idiots and try to manipulate them. It's insulting.

Kemps response was so forceful I wonder if he is trying to rig the election in his own favor and now he's worried about getting caught. We do NOT need someone with that sort of repulsive, knee jerk response to issues as governor. Kemp is a nightmare.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Great article! It seems like it is going to be critical for the Stacies to run a positive primary campaign. For the Dems to win, they are going to need both minority voters and suburban/rural white female voters. If the primary race gets nasty, I fear that it will be hard to hold together a winning coalition.

They both seem to be on the same page as far as strategy and it seems like they both have about an equal (albeit slim) shot at winning. I hope ego doesn't get the better of them.
You are not the only person who fears that it could be challenging to hold together the Democratic Party coalition for the general election campaign if the Democratic gubernatorial race gets nasty between the two Staceys.

In a piece for Georgia political website GeorgiaPol.com, Democratic former Georgia state Representative LaDawn "LBJ" Jones of Atlanta expressed a similar fear and basically pleaded with the two Staceys for one of them to drop out of the gubernatorial race and run for Lt. Governor so that the Democratic Party might have a better chance of winning both the Governor's and Lt. Governor's races in November...

Quote:
Both Democrat candidates, Stacey Evans and Stacey Abrams, when compared to the Republican candidates, they are virtually the same. I’m afraid campaign strategy and goal to win will be the cause of another Democratic loss in November. I have not asked, but I certainly wonder if these two women have sat down and discussed one of the two of them running for Lt. Governor? If they have, I wonder if either woman put serious thought into it.

Think of the power these two lawyer, lawmakers, with their vast experiences running together on one ticket and taking on the State. In addition to the swell of money that would come from around the country, the two women can focus on their individual campaign strengths. Abrams can continue the train of exciting the Democrat base of black voters in the urban areas. Evans can use her rural charm to woo the voters who are tired of Trump. Both women independently have cross-over appeal, but the campaigns highlighting their difference will snuff out that appeal and cause division in the party.
"A Plea from a Progressive!" (LaDawn "LBJ" Jones for GeorgiaPol.com)
https://www.georgiapol.com/2018/01/2...a-progressive/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta