Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Where are you finding walkable areas near Marta stations and amenities for under $1000 in rent?You should make a thread.
I have talked about it in plenty of threads. I have lived in Buckhead, Midtown, Ormewood Park, and now South Downtown. People need to adjust their expectations on size of their house and not expect things like included parking if they want affordability in those neighborhoods. Of course you can find even more affordable options next to the south and west MARTA stations.

So do you agree our focus is better spend on housing affordability than parking affordability?

I mean in the same space we are putting "free parking" we could have "free housing".

Old 06-06-2018, 09:15 PM

651 posts, read 476,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I have talked about it in plenty of threads. I have lived in Buckhead, Midtown, Ormewood Park, and now South Downtown. People need to adjust their expectations on size of their house and not expect things like included parking if they want affordability in those neighborhoods. Of course you can find even more affordable options next to the south and west MARTA stations.

So do you agree our focus is better spend on housing affordability than parking affordability?

I mean in the same space we are putting "free parking" we could have "free housing".
I just want list of units with prices. I’ve got plenty of people interested.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I just want list of units with prices. I’ve got plenty of people interested.
Not giving you my address but I do have an extra room in my new place in S. Downtown that will go for about $600.

You are welcome to search and find plenty of your own as well: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...44_rect/12_zm/

But don't let that convince you that housing affordability is not a problem. It is.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:

These are good sizes to aim for in affordable housing.

I still believe that self contained units could be factory-built & sturdy, perhaps "uni-body" construction that 3D printed to max. width that can be delivered on a truck like a single wide mobile home,

for $25,000-$30,000 fully wired with plumbing, maybe lacking a few apppliances,....

These rectangular units would have windows and doors at both ends, have a raised floor for wiring, plumbing, ventilation,...

And these units could be stacked together beside one another and 2-4 units on top of one another without any additional structure, they could support the weight with essentially being a sturdy cage made from wallk, floor and roof.

I even thought that this cage could be a rectangle made from steel wide-flanges at all of the corners that accommodate a wall cavity that people could perhaps stuff with whatever they want, like hay-bails, or scrap tires, or plastic bottles.

Before you laugh, these are real ways to shelter people, and the rural studio in Alabama has done of these that you can probably go visit.

This country will never be able to pay for large buildings with hundreds of units to make a dent in lack of affordable housing.

Just the site work, and structural demands cost millions, and with materrals being sp expensive now, the financials don't work and that why no one is building new affordable housing, because today what ever you build costs $150-$200 per square foot to build new so there's $50-100K just to construct, and affordability has already flown our the window.

--------

Meanwhile the early bird catches the worm.

North Carolina applied for and was granted a big chunk of money from Trump's so-called infrastructure rebuild plan.

It will pay for 2 sections of I-95 in NC being widened to8 lanes and anther two sections of I-95 will new

North Carolina's DOT has already announced town hall meeting and a visit

Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 PM

651 posts, read 476,569 times
Quote:
Not giving you my address but I do have an extra room in my new place in S. Downtown that will go for about $600.

You are welcome to search and find plenty of your own as well: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...44_rect/12_zm/

But don't let that convince you that housing affordability is not a problem. It is.
This is nice (albeit small ) list but none of these are what I’d call walkable to Marta stations. Someone would have to be able to spend 30+ minutes walking or 40 minutes on a bus route if they don’t drive.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
This is nice (albeit small ) list but none of these are what I’d call walkable to Marta stations. Someone would have to be able to spend 30+ minutes walking or 40 minutes on a bus route if they don’t drive.
There are multiple locations on that list that are within half a mile / 10 min walk of MARTA rail. Still, you agree housing affordability and expanding high-capacity transit converge is more of a concern than parking affordability, right? Or what exactly are you arguing?

Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
I have never paid more than $1,000 /m in rent or equivalent mortgage.
Well, when buying foreclosures at the bottom of the market, or putting down a decent chunk towards a partially demolished building...yeah.

But even $1,000 a month is a hefty chunk for a typical poor person.

Quote:
But yes, housing affordability is something that needs to be addressed. And things like parking minimums and property taxes that pay for roads are a part of that conversation.
How else would you want to fund the typical neighborhood road?

Quote:
Where are you finding walkable areas near Marta stations and amenities for under $1000 in rent?You should make a thread.
There are rentals out there under $1,000 near a marta station. I don't think most of them are in very walkable areas, and you are going to be living in a fairly dumpy place, but it is what it is.

Quote:
A room, or an apartment?

Quote:
You don't now live in South Downtown. And there is no possible way that the place downtown plus renovations comes in at less than $1,000 / month without substantial downpayment.

Quote:

Is there much free parking in Midtown and Downtown? How much is spent on subsidizing parking? Now would be the time where you either say that your earlier link was false, or your current premise is false. They cannot both be true.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Is there much free parking in Midtown and Downtown?
Seems to me most parking downtown or in Midtown costs an arm and a leg. If there's free parking I'd like to know about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Because they can afford $1500 rent near a marta station easier AND we have to assume their job is on a Marta line? Lol.
So you are OK with non-insured drivers? Part of why car insurance in metro Atlanta costs so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems to me most parking downtown or in Midtown costs an arm and a leg. If there's free parking I'd like to know about it.
At the nearest MARTA station to you and then ride the train or bus into those areas.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 AM

I had a car some of the years I lived in Midtown and parked on the street for free every night.

Downtown thankfully got rid of their parking minimums a couple decades ago. Otherwise my project would not be possible. I would have had to buy the building next door and tear it down for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta