Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 18,047 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've searched this forum but most of what I found was from years ago, so I wanted to ask again.

My wife and I are looking for houses in the Smyrna/Mableton/Marietta area. We've already had to pull an offer from a house on Gray Road off of Windy Hill in the NW Smyrna area because a cop told us about gang activity closeby.

We are looking at a few others areas, and wanted to know if you guys knew much about the areas. My wife works in Vinings, I work in Alpharetta but travel at non-peak hours. Our max budget is around 290k.

1. Oakdale Road
Houses here look very new, but the fact that these are technically "Mableton" addresses makes my wife a little weary. These are personally my favorite, but still want more opinions.

2. Lower Roswell Road off of South Marietta Parkway.
Lots of stuff nearby, but haven't been here much.

3. Old Concord Rd
Very close to the Gray Road house we had to back out of, but a little bit closer in to the city. Houses are very cheap here, which scares me.

Our last resort is Sandy Plains area. I know the area is better, houses aren't too expensive, but it's a further drive for my wife, where everything else is fairly closeby.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM

55 posts, read 79,709 times
Why does the Mableton address make your wife weary? It all blends together near the border. Vinings Estates is technically Mableton too.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 PM

184 posts, read 205,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
Why does the Mableton address make your wife weary? It all blends together near the border. Vinings Estates is technically Mableton too.

What he means is too many black people. He'll never admit but that's pretty much what he means. A 290k budget isn't enough to get a nice house in a segregated area in those towns, need more like 450+

Last edited by kgpremed13; 06-07-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 18,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
What he means is too many black people. He'll never admit but that's pretty much what he means. A 290k budget isn't enough to get a nice house in a segregated area in those towns, need more like 450+

What a stupid post. Only black people live in crappy areas, right? And no black people live in Smyrna, only Mableton. If black people are an issue for anyone, Atlanta is not the city to be living in.

Maybe wary was the wrong word. Mableton in general is a lower income area, and the resale value would be relatively lower compared to Smyrna(generally speaking). I know Veterans Memorial and south has a reputation for crime, which Oakdale Road connects to. I'm just wondering how close the spillover is.

Last edited by lundahl; 06-07-2018 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 05:47 PM

654 posts, read 527,695 times
Quote:
It's really a shame that people like the OP can even post. It's about time we stop allowing them to even open their mouth, all in the nsme of fighting racism.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 PM

527 posts, read 320,201 times
But it's ridiculous to say that a "Mableton" address is a concern. There are many nice, safe neighborhoods in Mableton.

It would be like saying an Atlanta address is a concern.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Back on subject - are you only considering single family houses. You can get more for your money if you consider a townhome.

In my neighborhood which is 2 miles from The Battery and 2+ miles from Vinings has homes averaging $275,000.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:54 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundahl View Post
Hey guys, I've searched this forum but most of what I found was from years ago, so I wanted to ask again.

My wife and I are looking for houses in the Smyrna/Mableton/Marietta area. We've already had to pull an offer from a house on Gray Road off of Windy Hill in the NW Smyrna area because a cop told us about gang activity closeby.

We are looking at a few others areas, and wanted to know if you guys knew much about the areas. My wife works in Vinings, I work in Alpharetta but travel at non-peak hours. Our max budget is around 290k.

1. Oakdale Road
Houses here look very new, but the fact that these are technically "Mableton" addresses makes my wife a little weary. These are personally my favorite, but still want more opinions.

2. Lower Roswell Road off of South Marietta Parkway.
Lots of stuff nearby, but haven't been here much.

3. Old Concord Rd
Very close to the Gray Road house we had to back out of, but a little bit closer in to the city. Houses are very cheap here, which scares me.

Our last resort is Sandy Plains area. I know the area is better, houses aren't too expensive, but it's a further drive for my wife, where everything else is fairly closeby.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
I love the area over by Oakdale, and it's been on our minds for a while. Also look off Buckner, although I think they get a little more expensive.

If there is gang activity on Gray Rd. in Smyrna, they must be the least badass gangs out there.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I love the area over by Oakdale, and it's been on our minds for a while. Also look off Buckner, although I think they get a little more expensive.

If there is gang activity on Gray Rd. in Smyrna, they must be the least badass gangs out there.
Bad neighbors are bad neighbors.

As an aside, I hope that the reports of one police officer wasn't the only deciding factor in your pulling an offer from a house.

It would have made much more sense to talk to people who live in the area and ask what their experience and observations have been in terms of safety, crime, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:59 AM

765 posts, read 1,110,424 times
Quote:

If "What he means is too many black people.", why would he be considering Smyrna in the first place?, since, according to the 2014 Census estimates, the City of Smyrna is 46.63% African American and 31.6% White and 14.9% Hispanic. Here is the link to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smyrna...a#Demographics

The reality is that the Cities of Atlanta and Decatur are far more White than the City of Smyrna. The local high school in Smyrna, Campbell High School, is 43.6% African American, 32.8% Hispanic and 15.8% white. https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...37/school.aspx

There are several public high schools in the City of Atlanta with higher percentages of white students than Campbell.

It seems like there are many posters on the Atlanta Forum who are constantly looking to derail a thread into a discussion about racism and to bash Cobb County and its residents at the same time, is a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta