Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 PM

45 posts, read 35,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Who's "we"?
51% of the people living in ATL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:27 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,481,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is not a badge of honor. Between traffic, water, insufficient transit, disrepair infrastructure... I don't really think adding a gazillion more folks to the region is necessarily a great thing right now. I hope it all bodes better than I fear.
Agreed!!!I think even though many may see this as a Badge of Honor, Atlanta is still not on the same level as Philly. Not to cut Atlanta down but Philly is a dense million city at city limit level with Transit and Infrastructure decades ahead of Atlanta. Philly is a dense NE city looked at more closely with NY even though it's much smaller than NY. I know we like to talk Metro population is what matters over city limit but I think with this Philly and Atlanta case this is slightly different where all scenarios are not created equal even if Atlanta does surpass.. We all know Atlanta will be gaining all of it's population from here to Hazzard county, to hillbilly alley back down to city and back,, pure suburban sprawl, with some gains in the city. The Delaware valley/ Tristate area is far more dense and has Satellite cities like Wilmington and Trenton in it's mist. I just don't see where this takes anything away from Philly and Gives an Award to Atlanta for being a bigger and better city, especially under current circumstances. Philly is way more equipt to handle its population

Old 06-26-2018, 01:38 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Aside from the fact that metro Atlanta actually is adding more people, there are no real natural barriers to growth in the region nor is there a larger metro nearby that it bumps up against and those are issues for Philly. Honestly it really sucks for Philly but if the OMB revises any of the criteria associated with the designation of metropolitan areas, that may keep Philly from slipping down the list so fast. If it happens to win HQ2 (and it is a strong candidate with one of the best proposed sites), that would be immensely helpful in boosting the region's growth.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:39 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,633,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbash View Post
51% of the people living in ATL
citation needed

Old 06-26-2018, 01:46 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,481,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aside from the fact that metro Atlanta actually is adding more people, there are no real natural barriers to growth in the region nor is there a larger metro nearby that it bumps up against and those are issues for Philly. Honestly it really sucks for Philly but if the OMB revises any of the criteria associated with the designation of metropolitan areas, that may keep Philly from slipping down the list so fast. If it happens to win HQ2 (and it is a strong candidate with one of the best proposed sites), that would be immensely helpful in boosting the region's growth.

You make some great points, but these are all predictions anyway.. Who really knows which way the chips may fall, no one really does until these census reports are released and some times they are wrong. I think people do like the hype of it all though! My biggest concern with the census as a side note is our immigrant population getting under counted due to fear, that's going to hurt a lot of cities big time in under count!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:15 PM

11,844 posts, read 8,045,546 times
I personally have no doubt Atlanta will become large, possibly even a contender to Chicago .. but...that doesn't necessarily mean that Atlanta will become efficient. It has a long way to go in that category.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
You make some great points, but these are all predictions anyway.. Who really knows which way the chips may fall, no one really does until these census reports are released and some times they are wrong. I think people do like the hype of it all though! My biggest concern with the census as a side note is our immigrant population getting under counted due to fear, that's going to hurt a lot of cities big time in under count!
Good point about immigrants, especially with the current occupant of the Oval Office in power.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Noting all the commenters on the same link noted how Atlanta's MSA is heavily inflated due to all the extra counties they recently included within it compared to what it was 2 decades ago, thus accounting for a LARGE portion of its growth rates. In truth just about all of those cities have sprawl just as deep and far as Atlanta does, with the difference being not as many needing to commute to the urban core as they do in Atlanta...thus those areas are not included within their MSA.

I did find a pretty interesting photo though.
We been through this rual counties don't randomly grew a 100,000 plus people. Those counties are growing because they are part of the metro area. There nothing "inflated" about anything. A county must have 25% commute rate to be connected in a MSA.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,633,235 times
For those who don't believe that Atlanta becoming the country's 8th largest metropolitan area is an accomplishment in its own right, consider that Atlanta was a small, fairly provincial place in the mid 20th century and the city's leaders consciously set out to make it a large metropolitan area with global influence. Generations of Atlantans took on that goal and succeeded. Of course we face problems brought on by that growth going forward, but this place didn't become a top 10 metro without a lot of effort.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
For those who don't believe that Atlanta becoming the country's 8th largest metropolitan area is an accomplishment in its own right, consider that Atlanta was a small, fairly provincial place in the mid 20th century and the city's leaders consciously set out to make it a large metropolitan area with global influence. Generations of Atlantans took on that goal and succeeded. Of course we face problems brought on by that growth going forward, but this place didn't become a top 10 metro without a lot of effort.
Largest 10 is not really the same thing as Top 10, let's keep in mind. Houston is the 5th largest metro, and I'd much prefer to live in Seattle, any day of the week, which is the 15th largest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta