Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM

204 posts, read 145,143 times

Advertisements

So the past few days the thought of going after my childhood dream of being an actor has come across my mind lately. I never really had the courage to do so and as I've gotten older, from teenage years to 35 year old adult, I kind of fell into just getting by in life with a job and making the best of what I can with so. I have never looked into any type of schooling or acting lessons, so I feel really lost and not sure where to start. I hear often from people and flyers around social media of casting calls for background actors for such Atlanta based films such as walking dead, and other filming locations that are often around, but working full time and not really connected with someone or a company who I could reach out or stay connected with when such events are going on. Im sure the old ways of being noticed for acting roles and becoming a well known actor just off of basic auditions and being signed on have become slim chances in this day and age, so I know to research and get realistic information on how and what to look into and where to start. It actually feels good just typing this thread in the first attempt of even getting feedback of something I've held in for so many years, but I feel its worth a try, and you never know how far anything goes or will even work if trying is not the first step. Im aware that there are numerous agencies, acting schools, organizations here in the big A (Atlanta) I live just out side Atlanta in marietta area, but have lived here in GA the past 25 years now. If anyone can share, give information, advice, or even have questions for me, can lead me into any kind of direction from sources or perhaps experience from possibly sharing the same interest any feed back, or guidance will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:20 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
That's great. There are a ton of great places to start. Catapult Acting off 85 near Clairmont Rd. is very well connected in the industry in terms of lessons. Get Scene Studios (near Ikea) has super workshops with casting directors and agents. You would prepare a scene and bring your headshot to those. Atlanta Acting Arts has seriously good classes, as well. They are on Northside parkway. There are many more, also. These just come to mind--especially Catapult and Get Scene in order to network. All three of these train a lot of working actors. You will see actors coming in and out to tape auditions--it's very inspiring.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM

Will look into it my friend thanx for the info.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
While following a dream is ok, do not quit your real job nor sign on to the predatory "actors/model schools" or agents...be careful.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM

Default day job response.....

Im fully aware of still making a living while doing so. Yeah its risky to cut away from something thats helped you survive and is a steady income, though we all dread a 9 to 5.....Im in a decent spot if i decided to work part time instead of full as ive been past 12 years.....unlike some...I dont have alot tied down to me kinda sad.. but it is what it is as of now......I dont have a morguage...rent and utilities are super cheap....own all my vehicles no car notes.....not alot but a few thousands in savings.....no kids...not married.....partime collegestudent....young and feel the rest of my life waits me .....

Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 4,747 times
I'm in a similar boat as yourself. You can go down there one day and sign up for Central Casting. It's just a free data-base for like extras work and stuff. I think there is pay sometimes involved. They might call you every now and then and let you know some dates and guidelines to see if you're interested, and you just say yes or no or whatever. A lot of people sign up with them so you can imagine the talent array is flooded... but if a project needs your certain look/appearance then they might phone you up.

Don't pay attention to the bogus acting class scams and stuff that suggest you might be able to get work with them if you pay and go through their system. You might get small work but do you think they'll push you as much after they have your initial money?? I doubt it... they will take your money first whether they already know or not whether you are a fit for the industry.

Sometimes in my spare time I have sough out small film groups and stuff to be involved with and did a little bit that way just to become introduced to the film environment. There are some sights that may have projects like actors access, backstage, and I think a few more. Some are paid sites I believe but they do actually have real projects though they may be small and unpaid projects. At least it would be a footer just to let you become introduced to the environment. I need to get going on my goals with that industry again... I have a fair look that would fit well in the right projects : )

Remember that is a industry of work just like most other industries... it has its ups and downs.. don't become glamorized by the lure of big shot times or whatever. Take it slow and steady.... have fun at it : )

Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Alliance Theatre is another place that offers classes.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
The Alliance will help you more for acting in the theater--which is very different from TV, film, commercial. Working as an extra most often will not help you break into TV/film/commercial. It can be an interesting thing to do, but don't think of it as a stepping stone toward something else in acting. Of course, you might find, after being on set as an extra, that you now know more about the industry and want to train as crew. There are many legit courses around town to help you do that.

But back to acting, the reason I was recommending a few good acting schools is because the good acting teachers have relationships with agencies. If the teacher thinks you have what it takes, they will put in a good word for you with an agency etc.

And the way to get started in commercial/tv/film is to get an agent. A lot will depend on your look. If you happen to fit into a demographic that the agency feels they need or you have a very unique look, you may be able to land an agent without a heck of a lot of experience. In that case, get some head shots--you don't need to pay a fortune for these either, and, in fact, headshots and maybe an inexpensive acting class or workshop, are the only 2 things you should be paying for. Agents DO NOT charge an upfront fee. Managers do NOT charge a fee. If one asks you to use a specific photographer or train at a specific school or asks for a deposit or retainer, run away. Talent agents and managers earn a percentage of their clients' pay from acting jobs. You do not pay them until you are paid by a production company for work you booked through their agency.

In the meantime you can try to get some screen time in student films. There is a SCAD filmmakers Facebook page that posts for these a lot. I am not a fan of the acting websites where you self-submit for low budget film work. A lot of the jobs found there are super sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta