Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 AM

168 posts, read 561,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
If you really love diversity, you have to include folks who have diverse comfort zones as well.
That's one of the silliest things I've seen anyone write in a while. Sorry.

That means when you plan a picnic and want to invite a diverse group, make sure you don't leave out the people that . . . don't like being around a diverse group. ROFL. Try again.

And you don't expect the topic to be ridiculed? Really? If this were a face-to-face meeting to welcome new Atlantans, a meeting filled with, say, 300 hundred people of all ethnicities like this forum, would it be okay for a white person to stand up and ask the group, "Could you recommend a place to live where there's not a lot of these other people? You know, all white?" Everybody knows that some have this preference, but this forum is as much "in public" as that meeting would be, so expect people to be offended and give you crap. If you don't want the ridicule you deserve, ask that question privately of like minded people. AND, I think it sucks that at that same meeting, other races could get away with asking that question and no one would bat an eye. No one gets a pass, the double standard has to stop too.

Last edited by Windu; 04-06-2008 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
You know, what troubles me is what people seem to use as the definition of "diversity", which seems to be used to mean "people of many races live there". People get hassled for not buying into this concept of diversity as it's now defined by many.

I would say that it's not race that should be the factor, but rather economic status and basic civic and social outlook. Based on my definition, I don't want diversity either.

I want people who share my general economic and education status, and who have basic ideas of right and wrong and civic responsibility. I don't care what race they belong to because it doesn't matter. There is white trash out there and there're upper middle class educated black folks out there. I'd rather live next door to the latter (and do).

Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 AM

196 posts, read 768,153 times
For what it's worth I totally agree with you. Some people on this board are absurd with their views and I really think they are downright ignorant or just looking for confrontation. Thank you for a breath of fresh air.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,331 times
Default Let Me Explain...Please

I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone with my question. I honestly value diversity and all of the different types of people that make our country unique. When I move to GA, I will be the racial minority, as a Caucasian, at my prospective company. I graduate college this year and am moving far away from my family and friends for the first time in my life-- I am terrified! I just want to feel comfortable and accepted wherever I move. Thank you to everyone who has suggested neighborhoods. For all of you whom I have offended, I am truly sorry.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:54 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERohm View Post
I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone with my question. I honestly value diversity and all of the different types of people that make our country unique. When I move to GA, I will be the racial minority, as a Caucasian, at my prospective company. I graduate college this year and am moving far away from my family and friends for the first time in my life-- I am terrified! I just want to feel comfortable and accepted wherever I move. Thank you to everyone who has suggested neighborhoods. For all of you whom I have offended, I am truly sorry.
Don't worry, please...this thread got totally out of hand, and your initial inquiry was a reasonable one.
As a native Atlantan, I still stand by the list of neighborhoods I gave you.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERohm View Post
Don't worry about it. Ask what you want.

We get people from time to time who come in here asking where the "upscale black neighborhoods" are to find a home in, where the Asian neighborhoods are, the Hispanic neighborhood, even Polish neighborhoods. If you want a White (or "non diverse") neighborhood - go right ahead and ask for it - everyone else asks for theirs and you have that right just like everyone else, the same as those who ask for "very diverse" neighborhoods, too.

Now, FINDING a non-diverse area close to the city... well, that's another point. Also, you of course have a range within each group, too. You have snooty upper crust black neighborhoods, middle-class black neighborhoods, and ghettos here. Likewise, you can move to an all white area and be surrounded by snooty old South money, middle-class relocated people, or frankly, white trailer trash stereotypes. So the trick is not just finding the neighborhood with the types of folks you want to live around (or not), but also the social class of folks you want to be around (or not) as well. Not so easy!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 PM

42 posts, read 202,178 times
Alpharetta is definitely NOT "less diverse" - just for the record. We have Black, White, Asian (ALL KINDS OF ASIAN), Latino (Puerto-Rican, Cuban, Central American, Mexican, South American), Indians (East, West and Native American), Eastern European folks, lots of African people, Egyptians, Arabs, Jews - you name it, we have it, and from what I have seen, everyone gets along - even Italians like me are tolerated and treated with dignity and respect! My son has attended three pre-schools and all of his friends have been from all across the spectrum of human hue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta