Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 04:46 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,394,329 times

Advertisements

Freaknik will be back this summer – but in updated, family-friendly form.

From the early 1980s to the late 1990s, the annual spring break-themed event was an infamous gathering in Atlanta, a massive party that swelled in size, and with it, drinking and partying..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/blog/music/freak...MjvrhmQrKKCvI/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,328,256 times
A quick look at the songs and their lyrics based on the announced lineup shows this will be anything but "family friendly". They don't say family friendly in the article and I definitely don't think that's the intent.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 PM

11,958 posts, read 8,185,536 times
I honestly do not miss Freaknik. I dont see how anyone could possibly desire this kind of activity in Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,325,817 times
Why does it/ everything need to be family-friendly? I don’t get that.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM

459 posts, read 478,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Freaknik will be back this summer – but in updated, family-friendly form.

From the early 1980s to the late 1990s, the annual spring break-themed event was an infamous gathering in Atlanta, a massive party that swelled in size, and with it, drinking and partying..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/blog/music/freak...MjvrhmQrKKCvI/

roflmfao

Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,118,179 times
Soooo........

Some promoter just decided to have a music festival and call it Freaknik.

That's hardly the same thing as proclaiming "Freaknik will be back."

I could just as easily put together a concert with Air Supply, Christopher Cross and Leo Sayer at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater and call it Freaknik 2.1 and proclaim Freaknik is back.

This is stupid.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:55 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,402,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Soooo........

Some promoter just decided to have a music festival and call it Freaknik.

That's hardly the same thing as proclaiming "Freaknik will be back."

I could just as easily put together a concert with Air Supply, Christopher Cross and Leo Sayer at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater and call it Freaknik 2.1 and proclaim Freaknik is back.

This is stupid.
This.. this is a ploy to get attention to a concert. This is not remotely in anyway similar to freaknik. Which actually originally started as "Friknik" to frateniz and have a picnic until it turned wild in the 90s.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,394,329 times
Here’s what Twitter had to say about Freaknik’s ‘family-friendly’ return

As news of the announcement spread, folks took to Twitter to share their thoughts about the upcoming event. Many were befuddled by organizers making the new version of Freaknik “family-friendly..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/world/here-...eLwRPTGhknKAK/

Old 04-03-2019, 08:50 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,392,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I honestly do not miss Freaknik. I dont see how anyone could possibly desire this kind of activity in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Why does it/ everything need to be family-friendly? I don’t get that.

1) I hear you, Need4Camaro. I look at the name and immediately start to think of the high STI rate Atlanta has...not a nice thought.

2) We still live in a society where this idea of what represents a family is brainwashed in people's heads (a wife, a husband, 2.5 kids and a white picket fence). To have a family is to be American. Have you ever seen the way single people get talked about versus married? When someone who is married/has children dies, it's like the news/society in general places a higher value on their life than people who are single. And excluding children, not everyone has a big family or has family that they love like that.

There is also this pressure and I have spoken to people about this-the pressure to have children. It's crazy. I guess it was a norm back in the day but today a lot of young people don't want kids or just want one or two (and later on in life in comparison to other generations).

I am glad to see meetup groups for people who do not have kids. I like that we're more visible.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:35 AM

651 posts, read 481,170 times
They need to stop trying to bring this back or using the name because it just looks corny now. It will never come back and doesn’t even need to these day with music festivals and tinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: