Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
BTW, do you think $1200/mo could feasibly get you something decent in Sandy Springs, Marietta or the vicinity? I am sure it would be 1-1.5 hr commute from Marietta to downtown Atlanta. As I said, if I land a super great job that I would travel farther for, I dont' think breaking a lease would be biggest deal if I am making big bucks, so finding a more cost effective area is the most essential for me for the next year.
Others will have better info on your rental costs, but note there are several “hubs” for tech companies.

One is downtown.

One is midtown.

One is Buckhead.

One is Perimeter North (where 285 and 400 meet).

And then there’s the 400 corridor up to Alpharetta.

Given your interests you probably want to work ITP (inside the perimeter) rather than OTP.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Thanks for the information Mark.. I just made my truck reservation and going to give my move-out notice tomorrow or on Monday.. As well, I am going to be reserving motel room and trying to head down to Atlanta next week. I am pulling the trigger on this

I am seeing a lot of rentals I think I can afford in Smryna , Marietta and Sandy Springs.. Maybe, I will look at these areas.. I will avoid living in the South side of Atlanta, but appears the Northern part is the better area for what I am looking for anyway.

One other pretty nice thing I learned about Atlanta today is it has one of the larger job markets for .Net and C# developers in the country, which is the stack I specialize in. Or, at least, it's the stack with which with I have the most experience. I was pretty shocked to see almost 700 listings for C# developer jobs on Indeed's website.. modcut That will be another advantage for me living in Atlanta should I require a job in the local market. .Net is definitely rising in popularity nationwide, as I was surprised to see its growth in Silicon Valley (which traditionally shunned MS technologies). But, Atlanta really has a good supply of them. Washington DC (huge number, but probably mostly gov't jobs, ugh), modcut

I am really trying to hone my Javascript/Typescript skills with Angular learning and Javascript (with ES6) and C# are really becoming very similar languages. Hoping to pitch the multiple technologies to prospective employers. I use to hate Javascript, but now I am in love with it as well.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Atlanta only in this forum, per the TOS

Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Default Advice On Areas to Rent in North Atlanta Area For Under $1200/mo

I am packing up my bags and headed to Atlanta tomorrow to do some apartment hunting and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on areas around or outside Sandy Springs, Marietta, Norcross, Roswell, etc that would be lower in cost , but still in decent areas. I'm looking to spend as little as I can and hope to spend under $1200/mo for at least a one bedroom apartment.. The less I can spend like $900 to $1000 preferably (but more like $1100-$1200 realistically) I can spend the better. I'm going to be working from home for the next 6 months at least before I attempt to start looking for software work in the Atlanta area and want to be situated as close to potential software jobs as possible. But , as this time, saving money takes priority to commuting to a job that doesn't exist and if needed be, I can break my lease and relocate after 6 or 7 months and move to a different area near the job.

I'm just looking for a place that is quiet, safe and where I can spend next 6 months to a year preparing for software interviews as I have not been on the job market in over 15 years. The cities I Listed are areas people told me have lot of tech jobs.

As well, I have found a decent Jewish community up in the Northern suburbs area and thought it would be nice to live closer to that community, but I won't prioritize it at that point. Ideally, I like to live in the area with single professionals (Midtown, Buckhead), but I am sure my budget is not realistic . Although, I could , in theory rent a very small apartment since I will be storing and sell off the rest of my possessions before I leave Nashville and move to Atlanta.

I am going to be renting a motel and paying a fortune (don't use AirBnb anymore after a horrible experience), so I really need to hustle and find an apartment as fast as I can. I also cannot waste time with sluggish property management or private landlords who could take over a week or two to approve me as they sit around waiting for every landlord i Had in the last 5 years to call them back .

I have 830+ credit score and have verifiable income with paystubs.. So, I am hoping I could be approved fairly quickly. The place i Lived now they literally approved me in 30 minutes once they saw my credit and ran my background check.

I appreciate people's advice ..

Old 12-16-2019, 05:12 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
I got a place in Alpharetta for under 1200 but it's a unit that isn't being renovated (it's still only 15 years old or so).
But yea there aren't ton of places at that budget which is basically the same as mine. I found a couple just over in Forsyth County off 400. Wouldn't be a terrible commute to Alpharetta but would quickly get worse going down to Roswell or beyond.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
I am packing up my bags and headed to Atlanta tomorrow to do some apartment hunting and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on areas around or outside Sandy Springs, Marietta, Norcross, Roswell, etc that would be lower in cost , but still in decent areas. I'm looking to spend as little as I can and hope to spend under $1200/mo for at least a one bedroom apartment.. The less I can spend like $900 to $1000 preferably (but more like $1100-$1200 realistically) I can spend the better. I'm going to be working from home for the next 6 months at least before I attempt to start looking for software work in the Atlanta area and want to be situated as close to potential software jobs as possible. But , as this time, saving money takes priority to commuting to a job that doesn't exist and if needed be, I can break my lease and relocate after 6 or 7 months and move to a different area near the job.

I'm just looking for a place that is quiet, safe and where I can spend next 6 months to a year preparing for software interviews as I have not been on the job market in over 15 years. The cities I Listed are areas people told me have lot of tech jobs.

As well, I have found a decent Jewish community up in the Northern suburbs area and thought it would be nice to live closer to that community, but I won't prioritize it at that point. Ideally, I like to live in the area with single professionals (Midtown, Buckhead), but I am sure my budget is not realistic . Although, I could , in theory rent a very small apartment since I will be storing and sell off the rest of my possessions before I leave Nashville and move to Atlanta.

I am going to be renting a motel and paying a fortune (don't use AirBnb anymore after a horrible experience), so I really need to hustle and find an apartment as fast as I can. I also cannot waste time with sluggish property management or private landlords who could take over a week or two to approve me as they sit around waiting for every landlord i Had in the last 5 years to call them back .

I have 830+ credit score and have verifiable income with paystubs.. So, I am hoping I could be approved fairly quickly. The place i Lived now they literally approved me in 30 minutes once they saw my credit and ran my background check.

I appreciate people's advice ..
Right now, Midtown and Alpharetta appear to be the two largest (and hottest) hubs for tech jobs in metro Atlanta... With varying numbers of tech jobs scattered around throughout other parts of the metro area, including in other hubs like Downtown, Buckhead, Perimeter Center (Dunwoody/Sandy Springs), Peachtree Corners/Norcross, Cumberland/Vinings, I-85/GA-316 Northeast corridor in Gwinnett, I-75/US-41 Northwest corridor in Cobb.

Midtown is decidedly urban in character while Alpharetta is decidedly (heavily) suburban in character.

Like you alluded to, Midtown unfortunately probably is out of your budget at this point in time, while Alpharetta seems like it potentially may be a little farther flung from the city than you might prefer.

Since you have an interest in being closer to areas of social activity in the city, check to see if you might be able to find anything within your budget in the series of younger apartment complexes around the Lindbergh MARTA station in South Buckhead. Also check to see if you potentially might be able to find anything within your budget that you might like in some of the more mature apartment complexes in South Buckhead.

In Sandy Springs, look to see if you might be able to find anything of high quality within your budget along the entirety of US-19/GA-9 Roswell Road corridor from the Sandy Springs-Atlanta city limit on the south end to the Chattahoochee River on the north end... Though be warned that apartment quality can sometimes vary greatly from complex to complex in this area.

In Roswell, look to see if you might be able to find anything of good/high quality within your budget within the numerous apartment complexes along the GA-140 Holcomb Bridge Road corridor between the GA-9 junction on the west end and the Barnwell Road junction on the east end.

In the Norcross area, look in the Peachtree Corners 30092 zip code along the GA-140 Holcomb Bridge Road and the Peachtree Corners Circle corridors where there are some decently-kept apartment complexes.

The Norcross 30071 zip code has some good-to-okay apartment housing opportunities, but can also be somewhat hit-or-miss, especially in areas that are east of US-23/GA-13 Buford Highway and closer to and just west of I-85. The apartment rental opportunities in the Norcross 30093 zip code can be much more hit-or-miss.

If you look to the northwest towards Marietta, there may be some quality apartment housing opportunities in the Smyrna area, but you probably should generally look in the Atlanta/Cumberland/Vinings 30339 zip code (generally east of I-285 and west and north of the Chattahoochee River).

There potentially may be some good-decent rental opportunities in the Marietta 30067 zip code, though be warned that apartment quality can be very hit-or-miss in this area.

Just be sure to very extensively and exhaustingly research and very thoroughly vet whatever apartment rental opportunities you may come across that might interest you.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:07 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Charlotte's Jewish community is tiny and I attended the only Orthodox synagogue there for a short time.
There is a decent (enough) sized Jewish community in south Charlotte.

Atlanta will not be to your liking, neither would Raleigh.

We have friends in Atlanta.

The aspects of life that you didn't care for in Charlotte, are present in both Atlanta and in Raleigh.

If you move to Atlanta, you will likely want to leave the area after a short time.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:35 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,777 times
^ Lindbergh is a great call

Old 12-18-2019, 11:02 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
If you are looking for the ability to break your lease I think finding any rental might be hard.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,948 times
Looks like the OP has decided to move to Raleigh instead.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Looks like the OP has decided to move to Raleigh instead.

architect77 approves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta