Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:33 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times

Advertisements

We both live and work on the southside, but I love the Marietta area and have been trying to talk my husband into considering buying a house there. I read a WSBTV article today talking about increased gang activity at Marietta high schools, and have seen other residents posting about it going downhill...is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
We both live and work on the southside, but I love the Marietta area and have been trying to talk my husband into considering buying a house there. I read a WSBTV article today talking about increased gang activity at Marietta high schools, and have seen other residents posting about it going downhill...is this true?
Is this the WSB-TV story that you are talking about?...

"Following gang activity, cops beef up presence at metro schools" (WSB-TV Atlanta)

Quote:
Police say there is no current gang activity or problems in Marietta schools and [the hiring 2 new specially gang-trained school resource officers, to add to the 4 that they already had for a total of 6 officers district-wide, at the beginning of the school year] was just a proactive measure.

However, police records show a gang of two dozen students operated at Marietta High School last school year. Many were arrested and charged with an assault on school campus.
There is no need to panic.

Marietta is not "going downhill."

Marietta (including the entire area with a Marietta mailing address), on the whole, is just an extremely socioeconomically diverse community, ranging from lower-income/transient neighborhoods in parts of the 30064, 30008, 30060 and 30067 zip codes; to middle-income neighborhoods in the Sprayberry part of the 30066 zip code and the western part of the 30062 zip code; to more affluent higher-income neighborhoods in the eastern parts of the 30062, 30068 and 30067 zip codes.

The area that the WSB-TV story is referring to, the Marietta City Schools system (which is served by only one public high school in Marietta High School), particularly serves many lower-income and transient families who live in the many mature and aging multi-family housing complexes in Marietta city proper in areas like the Powder Springs Road, Manning Road and I-75 corridors.

Marietta (particularly inside of Marietta city proper) has traditionally had a higher-than-average poverty rate. But with a significant and increasing amount of gentrification (including the demolition of low-income apartment housing) occurring there over the last decade and longer, poverty rates inside of Marietta city proper (while still somewhat high) seem to be on the decline... If only because lower-income and transient residents are being pushed out of the city to make way for higher-income upscale developments.

If anything, there seem to be more higher-income young professionals (particularly of the Millennial generation) moving into the City of Marietta proper to be close to the popular hub of social and cultural activity (and shops, restaurants, events and festivals) at historic Marietta Square.

Marietta (particularly the City of Marietta proper) appears to be a community that is on a definite upswing.

But because of various factors (including a still abundant supply of relatively lower-cost multi-family housing, a socioeconomically diverse population, a major transcontinental superhighway travel route (I-75) that runs directly through the city, etc.), criminal activity at low-to-moderate levels (including a low-level of gang activity) likely will continue to be a factor in Marietta... That's even as the community continues to experience a high amount of gentrification... And that's even as an area like East Cobb (most of which has a Marietta mailing address) continues to be recognized as one of the most desired affluent suburban enclaves in the entire Southeastern U.S.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 01-09-2020 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-09-2020, 08:07 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Thank you for your thorough answer. I was hoping it was just hype.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
We have lived just off the Square for over five years, and can attest that the area, already nice but admittedly transitional in spots, has improved significantly over that time. Safer, lots of new housing as well as spruced-up older housing, significant increase in the number and quality of dining, shopping and entertainment options, and so on. We love it and will likely remain until we retire, and perhaps even then.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post

No, probably the opposite. Be careful of where you get your information. It's pretty well known how biased mainstream media is and how street crime is LARGELY exaggerated. You should do your own research. I'd say the same for the residents based on my experiences. They are super paranoid and probably watch channel 2, fox, 11, news like you do and are fed a ton of crap. I hear the area around the Square is very desirable. Marietta is near to Cumberland Mall area/SunTrust and not far from Buckhead. It will most likely continue to appreciate in value (for those who own property). I forgot about KSU. A lot of pros...

Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
No, probably the opposite. Be careful of where you get your information. It's pretty well known how biased mainstream media is and how street crime is LARGELY exaggerated. You should do your own research. I'd say the same for the residents based on my experiences. They are super paranoid and probably watch channel 2, fox, 11, news like you do and are fed a ton of crap. I hear the area around the Square is very desirable. Marietta is near to Cumberland Mall area/SunTrust and not far from Buckhead. It will most likely continue to appreciate in value (for those who own property). I forgot about KSU. A lot of pros...

Are you saying local news like Channel 2, Fox5, and 11alive are propaganda for reporting crime?

It seems odd some people on here don't like certain news being reported on. Why is that? Not picking on you as I have seen this type of language used on here in many posts regarding either the local news or the AJC. I don't think things like shootings are exaggerated and it is disrespectful the the victims to even suggest such. For example the shootout at Cumberland Mall wasn't 'crap' as you put it. It happened.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:07 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Are you saying local news like Channel 2, Fox5, and 11alive are propaganda for reporting crime?
I would appreciate it if you didn't take what I wrote out of context. I said that they greatly exaggerate crime (the occurrence). People think crime is much worse than it is and this is largely due to the amount of coverage among other things that mainstream media provide.

It seems odd some people on here don't like certain news being reported on. Why is that? Not picking on you as I have seen this type of language used on here in many posts regarding either the local news or the AJC. I don't think things like shootings are exaggerated and it is disrespectful the the victims to even suggest such. For example the shootout at Cumberland Mall wasn't 'crap' as you put it. It happened.

https://intpolicydigest.org/2015/03/...ions-of-crime/

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...the_mass_media

Old 01-10-2020, 06:13 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I actually think Marietta is on the up and up. I'm assuming you are talking about the city proper, and not places with a Marietta address like East Cobb.

There are some transitional areas for sure, but I think those are gentrifying fast (Roswell Rd from the Big Chicken into the square being one example that is cleaning up fast). I think most people see the square as a very safe asset, with lots of events and restaurants such that you wouldn't have to go downtown for a night out.

I think 41 from the Battery up to Life University could really use a cleanup, but I think that's in the works. If I'm not mistaken, thats the area that was/is being considered for an Ikea and top golf competitor. Even if those don't pan out, it shows the interest in redevelopment.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I actually think Marietta is on the up and up. I'm assuming you are talking about the city proper, and not places with a Marietta address like East Cobb.

There are some transitional areas for sure, but I think those are gentrifying fast (Roswell Rd from the Big Chicken into the square being one example that is cleaning up fast). I think most people see the square as a very safe asset, with lots of events and restaurants such that you wouldn't have to go downtown for a night out.

I think 41 from the Battery up to Life University could really use a cleanup, but I think that's in the works. If I'm not mistaken, thats the area that was/is being considered for an Ikea and top golf competitor. Even if those don't pan out, it shows the interest in redevelopment.
Those are all excellent points about how Marietta city proper appears to be on a good track.

Though, with the OP referencing "the Marietta area" and "Marietta high schools" in her post, I assume that she may be talking about the entire roughly 140 square mile area with a Marietta mailing address (including East Cobb), not just the roughly 23 square mile area within the corporate limits of Marietta city proper?

It is a little confusing because Marietta city proper and East Cobb are two distinctly different areas, but yet both areas have a Marietta mailing address... A Marietta mailing area which also stretches into parts of West Cobb, South Cobb and North Cobb and about 8 different public high schools.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

Drive shack isn't coming to Marietta because they sold the property to Atlanta United. Soccer team wanted that property pretty bad and paid a very good price for it. Edit:. Not 100% true. Drive shack bought out of contract and city sold to AU for higher price.

Ikea is still coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta