Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM

13 posts, read 54,451 times

Advertisements

i am relocating to atlanta from las vegas. i have found an apartment in buckhead that i really like at peachtree and pharr. i have heard that buckhead (especially this particular area) is undergoing a facelift and i could see construction going on for the "streets of buckhead" but i want to be sure that this is a safe area. i know that those hip-hop clubs were torn down which should hopefully help, but did that solve the crime problem? has buckhead really gone downhill? i hope i am not making a mistake! i can remember buckhead being a very prestigous area like 5 years ago, has that changed? i really want to live in an upscale area (no ghetto-like qualities) and i like the "uptown feel" in buckhead. any opinions on this issue would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM

91 posts, read 344,173 times
No, Buckhead has not gone down hill. If anything, its gone up in the past 5 years. Especially with the streets of buckhead, which will have only upscale tenants (mostly european designers and 60$ entree french restarurants, in additon to a "7-star hotel", only three of its kind) The intersection of Peachtree Road and Peachtree avenue is also going to be home to a new 5 star hotel, the Crowne Plaza. that is right near pharr. here is the article from the ABC: Buckhead gets Crowned for new hotel location - Atlanta Business Chronicle: . Also, the St. Regis Hotel is going to be finished soon, and they dont locate in areas other than the most upscale. Regents Park at Peachtree Battle has townhomes selling for 4 Million. If you havent been there in 5 years, youll be amazed at what is going on along peachtree. tons of high rise condo where a one bedroom starts at 700,000. Buckhead has no ghetto like qualities whatsoever. The only ghetto like qualities it had was around 3 am when there were shootings at the hip hop bars, but those were all torn down. Crime is very minimal, and I never really hear of anyhing going on in terms of crime.

Last edited by MMANN; 04-23-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 54,451 times
oh thanx that's great news...i had recently heard from some people that buckhead was not the same anymore and that it had become crime-ridden. Also there was quite a bit of talk of all those nightclubs bringing in an undesirable crowd...i am very glad to hear they cleaned all that up.

Last edited by gkrb; 04-23-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM

81 posts, read 292,734 times
Yes, to say it's been cleaned up is an understatement. An overhaul of biblical proportions is more like it. Buckhead will emerge, if not already there, as the most upscale area in the entire Southeast.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrb View Post
oh thanx that's great news...i had recently heard from some people that buckhead was not the same anymore and that it had become crime-ridden. Also there was quite a bit of talk of all those nightclubs bringing in an undesirable crowd...i am very glad to hear they cleaned all that up.
What it boils down to is that the city did very little with the hiphopees who were the cause of many noise and some crime problems in that area. A very wealthy developer who lived close by got tired of hearing the base thump of Rap every night at 3am near his house and got tired of the city not enforcing the noise laws.

So, he used the new Federal eminent domain laws that were passed a couple of years ago - he was able to prove to the city that The Streets of Buckhead project idea would generate much more tax money than what was currently there, and he was able to buy out the clubs and businesses there for fair market value and do the "get out now" routine. Hence, the Streets project now under way.

The only drawback - we're talking L.A. Rodeo Drive types of shops. A few of them will be the first stores in the U.S. by certain designers. Top dollar stuff. So, if anything, some apartment folks might actually get priced out of the area once that stuff opens. Right now rents are still reasonably normal for that area because the construction makes it less desireable. Once the shops open... poof, rents will skyrocket in that area.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
i am relocating to atlanta from las vegas. i have found an apartment in buckhead that i really like at peachtree and pharr.
Yes, you will have to put with the construction nuisance for a while.
Yes, traffic can get heavy around there.
Yes, you are quite safe in that neighborhood.
Yes, that is a great location...many of your amenities will be within walking distance.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:12 AM

66 posts, read 432,342 times
As long as you are a heavy sleeper, you will be okay. There is tons of construction going on right now at the intersection of Peachtree and Pharr. I actually drove by there last night on my way to dinner.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,390 times
Buckhead has always been nice. It is better now than ever. It is one of the most expensive places in the country to live.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,390 times
Quote:
i am relocating to atlanta from las vegas. i have found an apartment in buckhead that i really like at peachtree and pharr. i have heard that buckhead (especially this particular area) is undergoing a facelift and i could see construction going on for the "streets of buckhead" but i want to be sure that this is a safe area. i know that those hip-hop clubs were torn down which should hopefully help, but did that solve the crime problem? has buckhead really gone downhill? i hope i am not making a mistake! i can remember buckhead being a very prestigous area like 5 years ago, has that changed? i really want to live in an upscale area (no ghetto-like qualities) and i like the "uptown feel" in buckhead. any opinions on this issue would be appreciated...
I live in an apartment at Peachtree and Pharr. Which complex are you moving to?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
What it boils down to is that the city did very little with the hiphopees who were the cause of many noise and some crime problems in that area. A very wealthy developer who lived close by got tired of hearing the base thump of Rap every night at 3am near his house and got tired of the city not enforcing the noise laws.

So, he used the new Federal eminent domain laws that were passed a couple of years ago - he was able to prove to the city that The Streets of Buckhead project idea would generate much more tax money than what was currently there, and he was able to buy out the clubs and businesses there for fair market value and do the "get out now" routine. Hence, the Streets project now under way.

The only drawback - we're talking L.A. Rodeo Drive types of shops. A few of them will be the first stores in the U.S. by certain designers. Top dollar stuff. So, if anything, some apartment folks might actually get priced out of the area once that stuff opens. Right now rents are still reasonably normal for that area because the construction makes it less desireable. Once the shops open... poof, rents will skyrocket in that area.
This isn't quite accurate. The city created laws specifically designed to calm the Buchead party scene and is the very reason closing hours were changed to 3 am.

The city was negligent in letting things get as bad as they were but it was the city that shut the party down, at the behest of Buckhead residents of course, long before Ben Carter bought those lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta