Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 PM

10,434 posts, read 8,669,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Shootings at house parties are nothing new at all, this sort of thing was going on long before the pandemic. The police can't be on every single block in the City.

I stand by my post.
Not referring to the pandemic as more to here treatment of law enforcement.
Two wrongs don’t make a right.
If little Johnny puts his hand in a fire does that make it a good reason or excuse to do the same?
Just because someone else makes an error doesn’t excuse you from doing the same.

Based on what you say, the change in law enforcement does absolutely nothing about an increase in shootings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 PM

9,815 posts, read 8,010,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
N
Based on what you say, the change in law enforcement does absolutely nothing about an increase in shootings?
The police would have had to be on this particular block to prevent this from happening. Other than tighter gun control, how exactly could this have been prevented? This sounds like something that unfortunately happens all too often, it's nothing new.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:14 PM

6,669 posts, read 12,181,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Shootings at house parties are nothing new at all, this sort of thing was going on long before the pandemic. The police can't be on every single block in the City.

I stand by my post.
Especially in that part of the city. But before the pandemic these types of incidents only happened once or twice a week on average. Now it's almost a daily occurrence like we took a time warp back to circa 2003.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:46 AM

651 posts, read 481,861 times
Quote:
Atlanta’s Vine City neighborhood
Quote:
“We know at this point that all those victims were riding together in a rideshare vehicle,” Malecki said. “Immediately upon exiting the vehicle, those males were all met by gunfire.”
Y’all are goofy.

This looks like a planned gangster hit that no one could have actually prevented by any practical means (outside of major societal changes like ending the war on drugs ).

Vine City is the hood.

Why is this even (locally) political or related Covid or cops?

Old 07-25-2020, 06:10 AM

16 posts, read 15,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Y’all are goofy.

This looks like a planned gangster hit that no one could have actually prevented by any practical means (outside of major societal changes like ending the war on drugs ).

Vine City is the hood.

On a micro level, hard to tie a particular shooting to the throwing police under the bus. However, on a macro level, certainly very easy to see that the overall incidences of such crimes goes up once policing in higher risk areas goes down. It increasingly cascades into an increased sense of lawlessness where fewer are deterred.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 AM

10,434 posts, read 8,669,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Y’all are goofy.

Vine City is the hood.

Honestly I have to agree with you in this one particular case probably the change in police presence would have done little. Overall with shootings I do think perps are somewhat emboldened though with the lessened police presence. I wonder how the shooters knew the victims we arriving?

Old 07-25-2020, 10:15 AM

583 posts, read 359,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not to get overly political but I can’t think of any city with rioting and increased gun violence that is either led by a Republican or moderate Democrat - all seem to be led by progressives.

Happy to be proved wrong here.
Really? You know San Diego, Jacksonville, Miami-Dade, Omaha, Tulsa, Arlington, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Fresno and Fort Worth are all Republican led cities and comprise almost all of the Republican led cities in the 50 largest cities in the US. Murders have spiked in all of them just the same as they have in the Democrat run cities, and the spiking started pre George Floyd, protest and calls to defund the police. So instead of cheap partisan rhetoric and pandering, we should be looking at the data for informed analysis and understanding to make informed decisions.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:53 PM

651 posts, read 481,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoski View Post
really? You know san diego, jacksonville, miami-dade, omaha, tulsa, arlington, colorado springs, omaha, fresno and fort worth are all republican led cities and comprise almost all of the republican led cities in the 50 largest cities in the us. Murders have spiked in all of them just the same as they have in the democrat run cities, and the spiking started pre george floyd, protest and calls to defund the police. So instead of cheap partisan rhetoric and pandering, we should be looking at the data for informed analysis and understanding to make informed decisions.
oof

Old 07-26-2020, 04:35 PM

11,970 posts, read 8,208,799 times
FWIW there are not many cities in this nation that contend with Atlanta's size that are republican lead to begin with. Miami is the only one that I know of off hand. I guess one could consider San Diego in terms of major cities but thats a very big stretch IMO.

The riots due to Floyd would have happened regardless / republican or democratic lead, and so would the ensuing chaos thereafter. People nationwide are just pissed off right now. The retaliations may have been different but public fear would still be pretty large in either case - although I am not excusing to 'disband' the police so to speak - but stating that.. ..this kind of stuff would have likely come to past just about everywhere regardless who is in control...and despite how crazy its been, I'm not exactly sure that I'm privy to military response to every single thing that is going on either.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:10 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,627,474 times
I'm not sure what's more dangerous: the growing anger over police brutality, or the right's refusal to address it. Republicans think they're keeping the peace, but they're just adding fuel to the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: