Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 02:58 PM

17 posts, read 16,048 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move from ITP and has currently narrowed our housing search to Dunwoody, Roswell (west of 400), and Brookwood. Each of these areas provide a decent commute to our jobs, good schools, and have houses that we can afford. Any thoughts on whether these areas will be stable or in decline in 5-10 years? Also, will the schools still be high-quality?

Details: Our Dunwoody search is centered on the Dunwoody, Vanderlyn, and Austin school districts. These schools have a good reputation, but I'm concerned about the MS and HS. I've heard a lot of families go private after ES. Even though the schools aren't generally considered as good as those in Brookwood or Roswell, I think Dunwoody has the best 5-10 year trajectory for two reasons. One, there's a ton of development happening. Buildings are going up everywhere and families are renovating houses in several neighborhoods. Housing prices continue to increase. Two, there are a lot of high-paying jobs in the 400/285 corridor. As long as these jobs are nearby, Dunwoody will continue to be a desirable area. Am I off-base here?

In Roswell, we're looking in the Roswell North school cluster. Houses are generally older in this area, but the commute is not bad for us. I know some of the Roswell HS feeder schools are struggling (e.g., Mimosa ES), but I think the 5-10 year trajectory is still pretty strong in the cluster. Thoughts?

My family really likes the area around Brookwood HS. You can get a great home for a great price, even in the nicer neighborhoods off Webb Ginn Rd. All the schools in the cluster have a great reputation too. However, I drove down Hwy 78 last weekend and was amazed at the number of vacant stores (admittedly, the pandemic isn't helping) and how dated it looked. Some of the neighborhoods off the highway also looked like they had seen better days. Seems like the area has the worst trajectory compared to Dunwoody and Roswell. Again, am I totally off-base?

Appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 03:26 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I'm a bit confused on where Brookwood is? Brookwood highschool is in snellville, and Brookwood hills neighborhood is ITP by Lindbergh.

Dunwoody is nice, if not busy and a bit old money. Great proximity to there perimeter however. Schools are decent but not the best. Because of all the F500 companies, I would stay away from the perimeter during rush hour.

West Roswell is overall nice, with the exception of the mansell/hwy 9/400 on ramp area. It has worse schools, lower property values, and skews high Hispanic.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
If you favor Dunwoody, I would look just across the county line, in Sandy Springs, for a similar feel, similar amenities and better schools.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,759 times
You said that you and your fam wanted to move ITP, but Roswell isn't ITP. Having said that, I live in Sandy Springs and absolutely love it. It has a city feel to it and is definitely lively. I think Sandy Springs and Roswell are going to be in the opposite of decline for decades to come.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDonavanProf View Post
You said that you and your fam wanted to move ITP, but Roswell isn't ITP. Having said that, I live in Sandy Springs and absolutely love it. It has a city feel to it and is definitely lively. I think Sandy Springs and Roswell are going to be in the opposite of decline for decades to come.
I thought OP said the same, but he actually said he is looking to move FROM ITP.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I thought OP said the same, but he actually said he is looking to move FROM ITP.
you're right.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:41 AM

17 posts, read 16,048 times
Thanks everyone. This was my first post, so I’ll make sure to be clearer in the future. Based on feedback I’ve received my family will also look at Sandy Springs. I think we are scratching the Brookwood area in Snellville off the list, though. Commute from that area is too far!

Old 08-28-2020, 11:21 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Ahh I totally missed you were talking about Brookwood HS. Went to school there. Still a nice area but yea 78 has long been the not as nice part but that's right on the edge of the cluster. I don't blame you for thinking about the commute times. My parents left and moved closer to Duluth/Suwannee specifically because of that (and I was well out of the school system)

Old 09-01-2020, 06:53 PM

180 posts, read 128,267 times
Brookwood/Snellville resident here. Not sure if you have made a decision yet, but I can say that for the price and quality of schools, you cannot beat it.

I should add that we lived in Roswell and East Cobb when we previously lived in the Atlanta metro area about 8 years ago. We heard all about those areas and bought into the hype. Then we moved up north for about 6 years before we moved back. This changed our perspective.

You need to consider a few things:

1. Growth opportunities - where will your hoe appreciate the most? With additional costs of homes in Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and the like, your ability to gain equity are diminished.

2. Quality of Schools- Gwinnett schools have won numerous awards for education quality and equality. IOW, the district not only provides the well off with an excellent education, but delivers great results for those who are not so well off. That is important, because what you don’t want is to be an island of wealth in a sea of poverty. I saw this a lot when I lived in the DC Metro. It actually works against you when trying to buy and sell a home, as everyone who is interested will only want to live in that particular area and no place else.

As for Brookwood itself, the opportunities your children will get in attending school here are unbelievable. They have so many after school clubs and programs, youth sports and volunteer opportunities that their college resumes will burst. Also, I should add that BHS has a great reputation for getting kids into great schools in and out of state.

3. Parks and Recreation - Gwinnett County has the largest public park system in the Southeastern U.S. If you like outdoor activities, it’s a great place to be.

4. Developments - the area around 78 that you mentioned is transitioning. Since we have lived here there has been a lot of construction and there are more plans on the immediate horizon. I predict that in 5 years, you won’t even recognize the area. There was already groundbreaking for a new Snellville Town Plaza, and Lilburn and Lawrenceville have pretty nice ones already.

5. Commute - not sure where you are going to be working, but I work in Downtown and drive in everyday and my commute pre-COVID was 45 minutes. That’s way less than it was when I lived in Roswell off 400.

6. Diversity - the area is diverse in so many positive ways: food, religion, culture, race, politics. I live next door to one guy who is a Trump Supporter and another guy who has a #BLM sign on his front yard, and we all get along. I will reiterate the food: the ethnic food options here are out of this world. Korean, Southern, Ethiopian, Indian, BBQ, middle eastern, you name it. We also have the largest Hindu Temple in the US right off Ronald Reagan Pkwy and Lawrenceville Hwy in Lilburn and it’s open to the public.

One thing we did not like about East Cobb was the homogeneity and the snobbery. People were just not particularly friendly. I would say that it is the opposite here in Snellville/Brookwood.

Overall my family and I love it in Brookwood/Snellville and I think you will love it too.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogHawk View Post
1. Growth opportunities - where will your hoe appreciate the most?
Did you really have to get into name calling with OP's wife?

lol, just kidding, I'm assuming you meant to say "house"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta