Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He said "[The state of Georgia doesn't] spend efficiently enough in areas that matter like healthcare for those with mental issues, homeless facilities, public schools in low income areas, improving regional universities and community colleges, and public transportation."

You then assumed that he was arguing for a big tax hike for Atlanta taxpayers as a solution which was the big leap in logic you made as his point was about inefficient spending by the state. Also your reference to one APS cluster with new schools doesn't constitute a serious counterargument at all.

He mentioned public schools and I gave him examples not just of the Grady Cluster but several others (that he claims he has been to) about how yes even poor children in APS are attending extremely well funded schools in very nice physical buildings that are loaded with the latest and greatest in technology in innovation that are inhabited by extremely highly paid administrators and teachers and that more money will not solve one of those problems mentioned. Georgia also has a strong University System.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
As Ronald Reagan once said "there you go again", making Atlanta more significant that it really is. https://connect.comptia.org/content/...cities-it-jobs
Austin, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Raleigh, North Carolina
San Jose, California
Charlotte, North Carolina
Seattle, Washington
San Francisco, California
Atlanta, Georgia
Huntsville, Alabama
Denver, Colorado
Washington, DC
Boulder, Colorado
Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Columbus, Ohio
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Boston, Massachusetts
Baltimore, Maryland
Madison, Wisconsin
San Diego, California
Trenton, New Jersey

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...ing-to-indeed/

Top cities for tech jobs in 2020, according to Indeed
1) Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. ...
2) New York metropolitan area. ...
3) Seattle metropolitan area. ...
4) San Francisco metropolitan area. ...
5) Los Angeles metropolitan area. ...
6) San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara metropolitan area. ...
7) Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. ...
8) Greater Boston metropolitan area.
9) Chicago
10) Central Maryland
The first list is a ranking that uses a formula involving several different metrics. The most relevant one to architect77's claim is the number of open tech positions as provided by a data analytics firm, and yes Atlanta has more than Charlotte and Raleigh when looking at that one category in particular. The second is only looking at open positions on Indeed.com so obviously that will be quite limited. You don't even see Austin listed so that should tell you something.

For what it's worth, here's a list from earlier this month of the top 20 metro areas with open tech positions.

Quote:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ost-tech-jobs/
Atlanta doesn't appear in this top 15 list either.
This would be the sort of list that would be relevant: no formulas or anything like that, just the raw number of tech jobs by metro. Unfortunately, it's a bit outdated since the data is from 2016.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
He mentioned public schools and I gave him examples not just of the Grady Cluster but several others (that he claims he has been to) about how yes even poor children in APS are attending extremely well funded schools in very nice physical buildings that are loaded with the latest and greatest in technology in innovation that are inhabited by extremely highly paid administrators and teachers and that more money will not solve one of those problems mentioned. Georgia also has a strong University System.
ronricks,
Look at post #50 and #51 in this thread. Just in case you thought otherwise, Mutiny77 is talking about demonta4, not me. I jumped in to agree with his point and to point out that you were only talking about one aspect of one cluster. Boulevard was the initial example, but you alluded to all of APS (using Grady as the example). So I jumped in to point out that Grady is not a good comparison for the entirety of APS -- especially since the Microsoft development is not in the Grady cluster at all -- and the issues that demonta4 mentioned are more pronounced in other clusters.

Nobody mentioned throwing more money at schools. Although I did push back on your seemingly negative attitudes on APS salaries and expenditures. Your tone of doubt is not lost on me. Since I have no reason to lie on a public internet forum, simply look into anything I have ever said if you would like to attempt to prove me wrong.

But... as you can see, to go from persistent socioeconomic conditions that affect education (that he mentioned) to the nice physical buildings loaded with technology (that you mentioned) is quite a leap...

Last edited by equinox63; 02-22-2021 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Looking from outside the state and assuming I'm a Fortune 1000 company not based in Georgia, I honestly believe the schools that have the stature to be recruited are:
UGA, GA Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spellman, Clark Atlanta and more recently GSU.

Compare that to NC, a state of equal size:
UNC system (larger than UGA), NC State, Duke, Wake Forest NC A&T, Appalachian State, East Carolina, Davidson. i.e. more schools with profiles known outside of their home state.
This is a stretch on your part. Being somewhat generous, it's an even 6 for both states:

UGA, GA Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spellman, GSU for Georgia

UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, NC A&T, Davidson for NC

But to NC's credit, its schools have better geographic spread than GA's which are all in the Atlanta CSA.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
ronricks,
Look at post #50 and #51 in this thread. Just in case you thought otherwise, Mutiny77 is talking about demonta4, not me. I jumped in to agree with his point and to point out that you were only talking about one aspect of one cluster. Boulevard was the initial example, but you alluded to all of APS (using Grady as the example). So I jumped in to point out that Grady is not a good comparison for the entirety of APS -- especially since the Microsoft development is not in the Grady cluster at all -- and the issues that demonta4 mentioned are more pronounced in other clusters.

Nobody mentioned throwing more money at schools. So you see to go from persistent socioeconomic conditions that affect education (that he mentioned) to the nice physical buildings loaded with technology (that you mentioned) is quite a leap...

Its not a leap because the whole system is well funded and in nice shiny buildings that more resemble The Taj Mahal than a school building with very few outliers. It isn't just the Grady Cluster. All of them are well funded and have all the latest and greatest technology and innovation provided to them along with very highly paid administrators and teachers. Microsoft doesn't have to be in the Grady Cluster as their employees are free to live anywhere they want and whichever area they choose if it happens to be in the city of Atlanta it will contain:

-Well funded APS schools
-That are loaded with technology and innovation
-That are staffed by highly paid administrators and teachers. Doesn't matter if it is Therrell, Benjamin Mays, Frederick Douglass, Booker T Washington, Carver, Hope, etc. This applies to all of them. Your point of talking about actual teaching and learning and the populations of the students that attend these schools - all of them yes all of them have the opportunity to take advantage of all of the above no matter what cluster they are in. You don't have to be in the Grady Cluster to go to a school in a nice physical building, with latest and greatest technology, innovation, and gobs of money being poured into them. Its the whole system. You don't have to be poor, middle class, or wealthy to take advantage of this if so choose. Money doesn't solve one thing that demonta4 listed. Not a single one. There is more to it than that.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
He mentioned much more than public schools, and even then you limited that to a cluster within APS, or just APS period when he made it abundantly clear his focus was the state. You simply aren't arguing in good faith here and instead had a visceral reaction and then proceeded to get on your soapbox and rant and rave. Seems like you're just looking for an enemy to be at war with.

Georgia has a solid university system but as demonta4 noted, it's very top heavy.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Its not a leap...
At this point, you've proven this to be correct. You're simply being irrational.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He mentioned much more than public schools, and even then you limited that to a cluster within APS, or just APS period when he made it abundantly clear his focus was the state. You simply aren't arguing in good faith here and instead had a visceral reaction and then proceeded to get on your soapbox and rant and rave. Seems like you're just looking for an enemy to be at war with.

Georgia has a solid university system but as demonta4 noted, it's very top heavy.

More money doesn't solve one of those issues he mentioned. I never limited it to just Grady I have given extensive examples of schools (Therrell, Benjamin Mays, Frederick Douglass, Booker T Washington, Carver) that are remarkable facilities contained with the best technology and innovation money can buy with highly paid administrators and teachers. If you choose to ignore this then it no longer is my problem. What I am posting exists. It isn't just one school cluster.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
More money doesn't solve one of those issues he mentioned.
Even you don't believe that, but no need to keep going 'round and 'round with this. It's very telling on your part though.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:33 AM

So back to the "ambiance" of rapidly-changing parts of the city which is what was being discussed until things got way off-topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta